PDA

View Full Version : Darwin flights cancelled!

Desert Flower
30th May 2014, 22:39
News reporting there has been a volcanic eruption in Indonesia, with the ash cloud moving towards Darwin. All international & domestic flights cancelled as a result.

DF.

bdcer
30th May 2014, 23:24
Bugger.....

Flights around Australia may be disrupted by a major volcanic eruption in Indonesia.

All flights in and out of Darwin International Airport have been cancelled following the eruption of Sangeang Api, off the northeast coast of the Indonesian island of Sumbawa on Friday evening.

Emile Jansons, the manager of the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre at the Bureau of Meteorology in Darwin, said a massive volcanic ash cloud is already affecting Australian air space.

"It has currently reached the Australian coast. It has reached the Kimberley coast (in Western Australia)," he told AAP.

"It is spreading east and it may dissipate, so it is not clear how far east it will get.

"It is not yet clear if it will affect the eastern seaboard."

Mr Jansons said volcanic ash can be hazardous to aircraft but the decision whether or not to fly is a safety and economic decision that rests with individual airlines.

Darwin International Airport's website shows all incoming and outgoing flights have been cancelled.

MORE TO COME

500N
30th May 2014, 23:49
Economic decision ?

yr right
31st May 2014, 00:06
No the heat in a turbine melts the ash and basically turns it into glass across the hot section
Bummer another spike in the global warming scale that be blamed on all off us

WAC
31st May 2014, 00:26
Major volcanic eruptions can have a cooling effect due to sulphur dioxide and some other effects... Maybe it will get us off the hook a little longer?:rolleyes:

p.j.m
31st May 2014, 00:39
Economic decision ?

Sounds like it.

Reminds me of when Qantas stranded me in South America a few years ago, by diverting/grounding all their flights to/from Buenos Aires due to Vulcanic eruption/ash.

Trouble was EVERY other airline was still flying. So you only got stranded on the other side of the world, if you were flying with Qantas

And once again, it seems the rest of the world is still flying around Indonesia.

http://i.imgur.com/SBuFrqm.jpg

Thanks again Joycie! You make my choices for flying in the future very easy.

Capt Fathom
31st May 2014, 01:13
p.j.m.

If you plotted where MT SANGEANG is, with the ash cloud moving SE, you will see why most of Indonesia is unaffected!

The eruption is clearly visible on the SATPIX at 08Z yesterday!

Macrohard
31st May 2014, 01:16
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af215/B777pilot/imagejpg1_zps4d7964d2.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/B777pilot/media/imagejpg1_zps4d7964d2.jpg.html)

Aussie Bob
31st May 2014, 02:33
Bummer another spike in the global warming scale that be blamed on all off us

Wow yr right, such genius, even volcanoes are attributed to global warming? By the way, its now called "climate change" because on the whole its not getting any warmer aparantly.

yr right
31st May 2014, 02:55
We'll Aussie seams we on the same page about something then pmsl. Yes was changed because they where proved wrong about temp change.

CaptainEmad
31st May 2014, 02:56
http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag273/omgwtf4477/imagejpg1_zps44a2252f.jpg

Citilink uses the special devine power of the captain to fly right through the guts of the ash cloud.

onetrack
31st May 2014, 03:01
The last satpics I looked at, just 20 mins ago, shows the ash cloud dissipating exceptionally rapidly in the jetstream.

Chocks Away
31st May 2014, 03:18
Major volcanic eruptions can have a cooling effect due to sulphur dioxide and some other effects... Maybe it will get us off the hook a little longer?

...and get this ski season animated with at least some snow on the ground!

Three good iPhone Apps I've utilised which have been great, especially in that region are "VAAC"; "ubAlert" and "iEarthquake".
Handing over :ok:

Desert Flower
31st May 2014, 04:40
Almost reached Tennant Creek apparently.

DF.

ozbiggles
31st May 2014, 05:24
500, normally your posts are will thought out...not so today.
And pj if you want to take saftey advice from the local airlines up there on If it's safe or not to fly well no wonder your a passenger and not a pilot

Bounceferret
31st May 2014, 05:32
I like Vietnam Airlines approach to this.
"Ash cloud? what ash cloud?"

LeeJoyce
31st May 2014, 05:43
Just heard all DPS flights to be canx...

p.j.m
31st May 2014, 07:02
I like Vietnam Airlines approach to this.
"Ash cloud? what ash cloud?"

And they may well be right, too many Safety "Authorities" really have no clue, and make stuff up to justify their own existence.