PDA

View Full Version : JAL 787 hits fire truck in Tampa

Dog Driver
30th May 2014, 20:56
The airport sent out two fire trucks to welcome the chartered 787 carrying the Japanese soccer team. Unfortunately, the plane clipped the truck's boom with the right wing.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????? - YouTube

Welcome to America guys... sorry 'bout that.

superq7
30th May 2014, 21:29
OMG how embarrassing ! I think the fire truck driver is going to be looking for a new job.:{

MATELO
30th May 2014, 23:59
with all the training, people like medical, police, fire and armed forces don't make more of them.:(

You've answered you own question.

grounded27
31st May 2014, 04:34
That's going to be expensive...

SKS777FLYER
31st May 2014, 05:10
My first thought was the fire trucks were assigned by the airport operator to assist if need be in assuring cooling for possible 787 Hot Battery Boxes:)

glad rag
31st May 2014, 07:42
Thank heavens they didn't evac...:sad:

Glonass
31st May 2014, 15:55
OMG how embarrassing ! I think the fire truck driver is going to be looking for a new job.

As pilot in command, aren't you supposed to be exactly that: "in command"?

If you taxi the airplane into a stopped vehicle, I wonder who's to blame :8

waffler
31st May 2014, 16:17
If the copilots windscreen is being sprayed with water by the offending
Firetruck how can they see clearly through it ?

Burnie5204
31st May 2014, 20:15
"Tampa ground this is JAL123, we appear to have hit something can you roll the rescue tru.... nevermind..." :ok: :E

Peter47
31st May 2014, 21:19
Will it make Anna Aero's arch of the week? :)

Arch of Triumph Archives - anna.aero (http://www.anna.aero/tag/arch-of-triumph/)

On a serious note I hope that there wasn't any serious damage.

Capn Bloggs
1st Jun 2014, 02:24
As pilot in command, aren't you supposed to be exactly that: "in command"?
If you taxi the airplane into a stopped vehicle, I wonder who's to blame
Typical dinosaur attitude harking back to when when aeroplanes were a fifth of the size, had straight wings and you could easily open the window and have a good look out. :rolleyes:

Glonass
1st Jun 2014, 15:21
Oh! Of course. But this dinosaur knows better: if in doubt set the parking brake. It has nothing to do with the size of the airplane or if you see the tip of your wing. It's about not using the airplane as a shopping cart.

Piltdown Man
1st Jun 2014, 17:48
This is the standard "doing what you have not been trained to do" scenario being played, yet again. This is the ground equivalent of the AF296 at Habsheim. Until people learn, this will happen again and again. But please, let's make sure that the un-constructive comments from superq7 and Glonass are lost in the noise. Blame, firing, sacking, fining have absolutely no part in any safety system.

Machinbird
1st Jun 2014, 21:39
This is the standard "doing what you have not been trained to do" scenario being played, yet again. This is the ground equivalent of the AF296 at Habsheim.It takes experience to know when you are being led down the primrose path to danger.

For the JAL pilots, just slowing down might have allowed the fire truck to back out of danger.

For the fire truck driver, expecting the possibility of a wing-truck collision would have cause him to position differently or at least to be ready to back out of danger.

Wonder who the bozo was that thought up this "special recognition"? Someone did not do their homework.

Nightstop
2nd Jun 2014, 07:22
Most airports that use mobile rigs for off stand de-icing have a protocol for what is a similar scenario i.e. vehicles in close proximity to an aircraft with engines running should be a certain distance away until the aircraft comes to a complete stop. Maybe they should have got the de-icing team to do this instead?

727gm
2nd Jun 2014, 07:35
nowadays with the side window heat/distortion AND raked wingtips they may or may not be able to be seen at all....

M.Mouse
2nd Jun 2014, 09:17
I have always thought that driving an aircraft through an arch of water from fire engines was a bit naff.

misd-agin
2nd Jun 2014, 18:05
Fire truck was probably parked far enough away. But obviously the extended boom wasn't clear of the wingtip.

misd-agin
2nd Jun 2014, 18:07
Side window heat and distortion? Guys take pictures out of them all the time so it can't be that bad.

Raked wingtips, with no opening side windows, is a different issue.

Ian W
2nd Jun 2014, 18:27
Cost of damage borne by Airport Fire Service as the trucks should not have been there as there was no emergency. If they can show they were directed to be there by the Airport Manager then the airport should pay. The rule is and always has been on the airport surface 'vehicles give way to aircraft' doesn't matter what you are there for they give way. :=

Therefore, it is always the vehicle's fault.

peterhr
2nd Jun 2014, 19:19
FR24 suggests JA835J is still at Tampa.

gas path
2nd Jun 2014, 19:23
At least the outboard section (approx. 8ft+) of the wing is replaceable. It's bolted on in the factory! However I would guess there would be some serious internal inspections to do:hmm:
The wing tip section is made in Korea and the wing itself is Japan (Mitsubishi).

Dog Driver
2nd Jun 2014, 23:02
Plane is repaired and scheduled to depart later tonight... June 2.

Airport is suggesting it was the fire truck at fault... parked too close. The area is rather tight at the end of the ramp.

Airport spokesperson will only say the insurance companies are working out who will pay the bill for the repair.

The welcome was for the first 787 to land at TPA and the first JAL flight... also for the national soccer team that chartered the flight.

As of now and for the foreseeable future, all 'greetings' are suspended.

That is what is being reported on the local news.

Volume
3rd Jun 2014, 06:55
also for the national soccer teamin that case it has probly been a foul... The fire truck clearly tried to trip the plane up...

sandiego89
3rd Jun 2014, 14:26
Quote:
also for the national soccer team in that case it has probly been a foul... The fire truck clearly tried to trip the plane up...

If it had been the Italian national team, the plane would have retracted it's gear, tumbled to the ground and cried to the ref to give the fire truck a red card. :E

manrow
3rd Jun 2014, 20:20
which ever was moving at the time/point of the impact!