PDA

View Full Version : Do LH CC appreciate when i identify myself as a pilot?

testpanel
30th May 2014, 14:40
Hi all,

Just that question; do you like me to identify myself as a commercial pilot (capt. 757). on my next long-haul flight?

And no, i am not looking for an upgrade:}

Vielen Dank!

Ancient Observer
30th May 2014, 17:04
A BA pilot, even more ancient than me, told me years ago............the first thing to do is to sense the "mood" of the cabin crew........which he thought was often set by the PiC., and transmitted by the Head Crew person.
He only identified himself if they seemed to be a happy bunch.

Piltdown Man
30th May 2014, 19:04
When boarding, does a plumber or an electrician introduce themselves as such? I do smile and say "hello" though (and on most UK charter outfits, get a snarl back).

mad_jock
31st May 2014, 10:23
Why?

A smile and hello works best.

DoorsAreArmed
31st May 2014, 16:22
I think maybe these days it would not really get a response? If you identified yourself as CC, you might be able to strike up a conversation in the galley to compare conditions, rosters etc. As a pilot, it might be useful to know in the event of an evacuation, as you would be assessed as a perfect "ABP" or "able bodied passenger" to assist in a number of scenarios, trained in similar standards and mostly having a cool head under pressure! Depending on the culture of the airline and even the region, pilots are sometimes regarded as the "drivers" (all due respect). In effect, you guys fly the plane and the CC control the PAX, very different job roles. In the event of an emergency, chain of command exists, but flying a $400 million dollar machine takes a different skill set to controlling 400 PAX. Have got onto the crew bus after a 14 hour duty to meet "Dave" the Captain, no interaction whatsoever preflight or during the flight, shows the disconnect. I think these days the Marketing and Product Development departments have the say with CC so unfortunately, your mate from B.A. may may be a decade or 2 out from his friendly advice? BTW your Association should have you in a Premium class for duty, supernumerary and leisure travel anyway :rolleyes: Anyways, thanks for doing a go around when appropriate and keeping us safe!

despegue
1st Jun 2014, 00:01
In some countries, example Spain, it is a requirement for pilots to make themselves known when boarding as passengers.
I do this every time, so do most of my colleagues.

Not for any upgrades ( never happens anymore) but for in case a situation arises that might need assistance.

mad_jock
1st Jun 2014, 08:59
Not a chance in hell me doing that. Must have been to Spain 10-15 times in the last 10 years as a pax.

What are we meant to do read the AIP for the country we are going to when we go on holiday?

Mind you a Spanish carrier has never been in the offing for being used so no harm done.

pudoc
1st Jun 2014, 11:56
I've noticed Italian pilots doing the same when they board our flights, even wearing their ID at the time. Maybe they are also required to?

mad_jock
1st Jun 2014, 12:36
nah they just want to pull the male hosties.

stevef
1st Jun 2014, 15:25
Slightly off track, in the past I've often managed to get a more spacious emergency exit seat on the basis of being an aircraft engineer. At least fellow pax can count on the exit being opened correctly in an emergency (depending on how many in-flight grogs I've had :eek:)

letsjet
1st Jun 2014, 16:17
I can't see how it would hurt. I know I like to know if it came up in conversation.

cockney steve
10th Jun 2014, 09:21
Surely the watch and the epaulettes are sufficient? :}