PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP CONVERSION to EASA ATPL - TECH QUESTION

screenmonitor
30th May 2014, 13:07
Hi guys and gals,

As much as I researched I cannot find the answer to this question and would appreciate feedback from anyone who knows the answer.

I have completed the required 14 written EASA exams through the UK system.
I have a current FAA ATPL, with over 6000TT.
I did have a JAR medical class 1 back in 2008 when I was flying an Irish reg LR60 out of Russia on an FAA year validation
(the 5 year expiration date was last DEC... oops totally blew that one)

MY QUESTION IS:

Can I go do the EASA initial simcheck in the current typed AC I am flying (G550), prior to renewing my JAR medical, or is it a legal requirement to have the JAR medical current prior to doing the simcheck?

Also can I do the english proficiency, etc after the simcheck also?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

macflea
30th May 2014, 19:36
double check your medical again.
its 5 years form the expiry date on the cert or 6 years from the actual day you did the medical. i though my medical was expired until this was pointed out to me as i thought the 5 year rule started the day you did your medical.

screenmonitor
30th May 2014, 22:37
macflea,

Thx for the post. yes, unfortunately the EASA provider I am going through didn't warn me about the 6 year expiration and I didn't catch it! The class one I did (initial) was completed in Dec 2007. I don't remember going back 6 mo later like I do for the FAA...because I think I only had to go back for renewal the following December 2008. But the contract expired and there was no need, so I just did nothing...then all these years past and I was not aware of this 5 year rule.

There are exceptions that are made, but the Irish authority won't budge, even when it's only a few months past the 5 year mark. Sad really because I have been keeping up my other medicals along the way and flying on other ATP's.