PDA

View Full Version : French Cuisine

ORAC
29th May 2014, 18:10
French town protests to demand McDonald's restaurant (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/10862560/French-town-protests-to-demand-McDonalds-restaurant.html)

In an unlikely protest, hundreds of French have taken to the streets to demand the opening of a McDonald’s in their town.

The residents of Saint-Pol-sur-Ternoise, near the northern city of Lille, marched to call on local authorities to back down on their decision to suspend the construction of the new outlet. The McDonald’s was nearing completion on a site on the edge of town when authorities suddenly decided that it did not comply with zoning regulations and ordered building work to stop. That infuriated locals, who were hoping the new restaurant would provide badly needed jobs as well as adding to culinary and social life of the small town.

Despite often loudly expressed snobbery about McDonald's the French have fallen in love with the fast-food chain and the country is the second biggest consumer of Big Macs outside of the United States...........

Three quarters of traditional French restaurants now sell hamburgers, which are threatening to overtake the baguette as the country's staple sandwich, a recent study found. Nearly half of all sandwiches sold in France last year were burgers, up from one in nine in 2000 and one in seven in 2007, according to research by Gira Conseil, an influential marketing and consulting firm.............

BenThere
29th May 2014, 18:42
I spent two years over a five year period in Provence, deployed there with USAF to support the no-fly zone and Kosovo war with then-Yugoslavia from 1998-2003.

I was quite taken with the effort and energy put into the pleasure of eating. It is France's finest attribute, of many fine attributes, I think. Local plat du jours were my favorite. You might not know what you're getting, if your French is minimal, but you can pretty much rely on quality ingredients, careful preparation, and savor the aftertaste over an inexpensive litre of vin rouge du mason. I don't think dining on the road gets any better.

Some of the guys in the squadron ate ALL their meals at McDonald's, refusing to even sample the bounty of French cuisine everywhere around us. They would not even stroll the aisles at Carrefour to gather the bountiful wines, cheeses, sausages, and other delicious options to satisfy the palette.

McDonald's has its place. When you want a warm, filling meal at low cost, quickly served, and tasty, McDonald's is peerless. It is no substitute for a healthy and balanced diet, however.

500N
29th May 2014, 18:46
"When you want a warm, filling meal at low cost, quickly served, ........"

I'd remove the tasty unless you have a very good Macca's.
Some of it is not all that tasty, some is though.

But for a quick fill the hole inside you, that and Hungry Jacks are the go !

BenThere
29th May 2014, 18:49
I've never had a Big Mac or Filet-O-Fish that I didn't find tasty. Ever.

500N
29th May 2014, 18:52
BenThere

Well, come over here then.

Big Mac - standards have slipped a hell of a lot.

Fillet of fish is OK, normally good, had one or two not so good.

Some of the cheap burgers, again, leave a bit to be desired.

Speciality burgers - much better.

I prefer Hungry Jacks any day (I think you call it Wendy's !)

BenThere
29th May 2014, 18:59
No. Hungry Jacks = Burger King.

I admit that I've come across a McDonald's product that wasn't up to standard (a handful of times over 50 years). On the very rare occasions when I asked to return the product as unacceptable, I received effusive apologies and a piping hot, perfect replacement. That's good enough for me. But I'm a McDonald's fan, and long-term shareholder.

Now if you want the real thing - burger with all the trimmings, don't go to McDs. Take your chances with a local grill with lots of cars in the parking lot.

500N
29th May 2014, 19:05
Ben

When we used to go hunting, we drove back to the nearest town after a week and stopped off. The standard order was a burger with the lot
and by god it tasted good !

The standard must be higher in the US, it is bad here !

con-pilot
29th May 2014, 19:08
Some of the guys in the squadron ate ALL their meals at McDonald's,

I flew with some pilots and back end crew members that completely refused to eat any local food when we were out of country. If they could not find a local American fast food restaurants, like McDonald's, they'd find some place that made hamburgers and only eat that.

We had one guy that brought his own food with him and back that up with MREs.

Back on subject, I love French food as well.

In France.

But what the hell, if they want a McDonald's, left them have one.

Back in the early 80s I was in Aspen so much some people thought that I was a local. Really. During that period a guy wanted to put a McDonald's in downtown Aspen.

My God, you would have thought that he wanted to put in an open sewage treatment plant in downtown Aspen, that was how up in arms the local newspapers and some of the not-really-a-local-but-I'm-rich-and-have-a-holiday-home-here folks became trying to prevent the McDonald's from being built.

However, despite howls of outrage, fears that life as they knew it would come to a catastrophist end, the McDonalds was built, after the guy that wanted to build the McDonald's took the City of Aspen and the Pitkin County commissioners to court, all the way to the State Supreme Court before he won.

tony draper
29th May 2014, 19:16
I worked with a bloke for the thick end of forty years on and off,for the last twenty more or less permanently,when on the road we never ate in the kind of posh places you lot do,mostly in transport cafes and such,in all those years the only thing I ever heard him order was a sausage sarnie and a coffee.
Working in a Bank in Carlise there was a McDonalds more or less next door,so I managed to drag him in there,I order a couple of big Macs,he looks at it with great suspicion,takes the lid off removes the gurkin but eventually he eats it,yer buggah! I could not get him out of McDonalds after that.
I grew sick of the sight of McDonalds,but I still like a big Mac now and again.
:rolleyes:

Effluent Man
29th May 2014, 20:21
When traveling in France I always look out for the Relais Routiers signs.These restaurants cater largely for truckers and always serve good food at good prices.Get in by five past twelve though.

Tankertrashnav
29th May 2014, 21:40
we never ate in the kind of posh places you lot do,

Oi - less of the "you lot"!

When I were a lad, we used to dream of having a sausage sarnie...

etc etc ;)

tony draper
29th May 2014, 21:51
I didn't know what a sausage was until I was twenty three and we got that red cross parcel.
:{

cockney steve
29th May 2014, 22:28
I'm proud to say, I've never eaten anything from Mc D's, BK, Pizza Hut etc.....Son and wife insisted taking me to Franky and Benny's once....I was embarassed to waste their money on overpriced,mediocre food, served under a loud "muzak" speaker that precluded civilised conversation.
I do confess to using a Wimpy bar for a brief period....excuse is that it was next-door to the shop I managed at the time.
My last business was a fish and chip shop.
Pure, quality ingredients, sustaining and sustainable...yes, we did burgers as well, but I bought the best,which were less than 20p dearer than the"budget" stuff,likewise sausages, -exceeded the quality standards which were subsequently introduced after the BSE upset.
Been to France once....loved the food, booze,countryside and the French attitude to life. (rural Limousin) Very few spoke any english,but my schoolboy French, dormant for over 40 years, finally came in useful!

con-pilot
29th May 2014, 22:55
When I were a lad, we used to dream of having a sausage sarnie...

Dreams! Well aren't we the fancy and all posh type, when I were a lad, we couldn't afford dreams. :{

Just to keep the ball rolling. ;)

obgraham
30th May 2014, 04:38
Just back from 2 weeks in Confederatio Helvetica. Amazing to see a McDonalds near virtually every small village, in addition to full coverage in the cities.

Everyone complaining about them.

But every McD crammed with people, drive-thru's lined up.

So people dine where they wish, regardless of the attempts to supress McD's. Of course the outrageous cost of everything there might have something to do with it.

Capetonian
30th May 2014, 06:12
Traditional French cuisine has largely disappeared and been subjugated by the tidal wave of junk food that has swept the western world and is responsible for so much ill health.

That which remains is either hidden away in small villages in the 'arriere pays' or side streets away from the footfall of the 'hoi polloi', or is dedicated to the tourist market, over-priced and over-hyped.

You can't get a decent meal on those excellent French TGV trains, and in many town centres there are very few decent typically French places at reasonable prices and with good service. Sad but that's what happens when a nation sells its soul (if it ever had one.)

France is MuckD's biggest market outside the US. Other expensive and nasty fast food outlets abound too, and many have replaced traditional 'brasserie' type restaurants.

acbus1
30th May 2014, 06:26
Sleep? I never ad time fer sleep. I wer wide awake down t'pit wi t'pickaxe. :{

As for McDonalds :yuk:

Capetonian
30th May 2014, 06:30
WE used to dream of MacDonalds.
Aye, wi'out meat.
We used to dream of it wi'out meat or bun .........
So the meeting was adjourned, while the others waited for the Spaniard to return to provide his valued input. He returned after an hour and a half, cursing the barbarism of a land in which lunch was served only between 11.30 and 12.59, but thanking his lucky stars that he had found a Macdonald's restaurant serving early suppers from 15.30. He had not been sure what to do with the cardboard box which seemed to be part of the lunch, but after a furtive nibble at a corner, decided it tasted better than the contents, and consumed it.

acbus1
30th May 2014, 06:39
Serious question (for this place, anyway):

Ignoring the certainty that Big Mucks would be even more accurate, if its McDonalds, not MacDonalds, why do they serve Big Macs?

Shouldn't they be Big Mcs?

Effluent Man
30th May 2014, 06:58
You can still find good traditional French food if you deviate from the beaten track.Auvergne and it's neighbouring Departments are good bets.

cattletruck
30th May 2014, 08:18
completely refused to eat any local food when we were out of country.

I've met these folk too, I always thought they were a bit too precious when it came to food, perhaps it stems from a parenting issue with trying something different or adventurous. In France, besides sheep brains and snails everything else is gastronomic bliss, I guess they are missing out.

Maccas is Maccas worldwide, high in salt and sugar, and on the solid path to scurvy. Eating Maccas once in a blue moon is fine for me but I'm often outnumbered by the consumption monkeys who regularly dine on the stuff. I'm also bemused by the number of expensive cars in the Maccas parking lot - money obviously doesn't buy taste.

Fliegenmong
30th May 2014, 08:52
Quote:

Maccas is Maccas worldwide, high in salt and sugar,
and tastes like plastic.......regrettably though sometimes you have to, but you do know what you are going to get, for the most part it's consistent....:{

Quote:
money obviously doesn't buy taste. See that plenty of places nowadays....CUBS (Cashed Up Bogans) :ugh::rolleyes:

pvmw
30th May 2014, 09:10
France, besides sheep brains and snails everything else is gastronomic bliss...........
..........and Andoulette, and Steak tartare!!

Actually, with the exceptions listed above I agree with you. Avoid the tourist hotspots, find out where the locals eat and you can strike lucky. One of the best lunches I've ever had was on a bike ride somewhere south of Reims last year. Small town, restaurant with a few tables on the pavement. 12 Euros each for three courses and a carafe of wine between three. The village we stayed in had one eating house - open three days a week for the locals (no tourists for miles) and absolutely fabulous.

Sigh. I need another holiday, I haven't been to France since, since....... er, actually it was last weekend!

MagnusP
30th May 2014, 09:13
Not a Maccas fan, I must admit. It's tasty enough, but whether in the US or UK or anywhere, I always end up feeling queasy an hour later. I suspect it's the thin layer of orange plastic masquerading as cheese that goes for me.

Captivep
30th May 2014, 10:13
Can anybody explain why people drive to a McDonalds, order from the drive through, and then sit in the car park to eat?

TWT
30th May 2014, 10:33
Firstly,drive-through customers get priority over those standing in line inside the store.Quicker service.Secondly,I think that drive-through customers are the laziest of the lazy.

I've seen quite a few sit in their cars and throw the wrappers out the window.I've seen one or two empty their ashtrays onto the ground on top of the discarded wrappers.Even though at every exit there is a bin at driver window height to dispose of garbage.

HyFlyer
30th May 2014, 11:25
Traditional French cuisine has largely disappeared and been subjugated by the tidal wave of junk food that has swept the western world and is responsible for so much ill health.

That which remains is either hidden away in small villages in the 'arriere pays' or side streets away from the footfall of the 'hoi polloi', or is dedicated to the tourist market, over-priced and over-hyped.

You can't get a decent meal on those excellent French TGV trains, and in many town centres there are very few decent typically French places at reasonable prices and with good service. Sad but that's what happens when a nation sells its soul (if it ever had one.)

France is MuckD's biggest market outside the US. Other expensive and nasty fast food outlets abound too, and many have replaced traditional 'brasserie' type restaurants.

This is the way it is.

regardless of what the French tell you.......

...food in France, is essentially Pizza, Kebab or Big Mac.....unless you plan well ahead, are lucky to be in a small tourist enclave or are very rich..often you need all three to get decent French food.

UK is far, far better now for the decent meal in a decent pub, without prior planning and major worries or cost. It didn't used to be, but it is now.

pvmw
30th May 2014, 11:42
.....unless you plan well ahead, are lucky to be in a small tourist enclave or are very rich
Utterly and completely untrue. In addition to the examples above, in the last couple of years:-
A great little restaurant down a back street in Reims (found on the internet). Not cheap, but worth every penny.
A breeze block cafe in a hamlet not far from Vimy, (surrounded by builders trucks - a good sign), only one item on the lunch menu (meat Platter with couscous and vegentables - not exactly what I'd expected) - but for a few Euros far more than we could eat.
A cafe down a side street doing sunday lunch for the locals. I only saw it 'cos as we rode past a young lady walked round the corner smoking a fag. They were packed, but it was raining and we were on bikes so they re-arranged the tables to make space for us.
Last weekend, plenty of choice in Boulogne and not expensive (OK, so that one is a tourist enclave)
St Valery sur Somme last summer. Lunch by the estuary - again not expensive and quite acceptable.
Of all of them, the little pavement restaurant I mentioned earlier probably the best. Unplanned, and found by accident (and I can't go back 'cos I have no idea where we were). True serendipity.

There are many things about the French about which it is easy to to criticise, but their hospitality isn't one of them. My only complaint is that outside the big cities everything closes at about 9pm, and sunday evening can be problematic.

Krystal n chips
30th May 2014, 11:45
" On the very rare occasions when I asked to return the product as unacceptable, I received effusive apologies and a piping hot, perfect replacement. That's good enough for me. But I'm a McDonald's fan, and long-term shareholder."

Ah, little wonder as to your lack of culinary taste.....the perfect recipe you might say.....the adoration of the Corporations of this world blended, or indeed, infused with vanity massaging ....the effusive apologies sit so effortlessly with a previous proclamation about wearing a Captains hat and due deference thereafter.....alas, not from this quarter and certainly never as an engineer.....we digress.

There was this to add to the menu.

" When you want a warm, filling meal at low cost, quickly served, and tasty, McDonald's is peerless."

I can honestly say, albeit one is not very bright of course, that one cannot actually make the correlation between the above statement and......edible food.

Still, at least we now have a much more accurate idea as to how apt that well known computing term is and the reason why.......GIGO comes to mind.

This is much more my dining style.....sadly, I don't think "effusive apologies" would be offered in the manner you would deem fitting.

http://www.m6services.co.uk/

This place is a bit different, and, strangely, they have let me in once or twice over the years.....

http://frenchliving.co.uk/

If it's any consolation however, I went to Toulouse a few times with my pet winnit, a true gronk. He swore blind he was not the "Brit abroad" type....sadly, not true.

In town, he headed straight for?...you guessed it.....as he did everywhere in fact...in the hotel "Steak and chips, well done" in English of course.....the waiters face said it all and then there was the debacle of breakfast....he was annoyed and amazed how one got served first....one being poorly educated, in all senses of the term, if you listen to some perspectives that is, which I don't, but as one was polite and spoke French to the lady, this was possibly the reason why.

Bon appetite !

pvmw
30th May 2014, 11:56
Bon appetite !
Poor K&C, the chip on your shoulder must make life unbearable for you.

Are you capable of partaking of any discussion without personal abuse, vitriol and general unpleasantness? Yours must be a very sad and lonely life.

Capetonian
30th May 2014, 13:01

Are you capable of partaking of any discussion without personal abuse, vitriol and general unpleasantness? Yours must be a very sad and lonely life.
That was, I assume, a rhetorical question!

The best French restaurant I've ever been to was in London.

500N
30th May 2014, 13:07
With the odd exception (brains), I always enjoyed my time / visits in France as a teenager.

Spent a couple of weeks in country France, opened my eyes to the world.

Tankertrashnav
30th May 2014, 16:10
Bon appetite !

Its "bon appetit" K & C. Otherwise it would be "bonne appetite"

sitigeltfel
30th May 2014, 16:19

He probably sees himself as well balanced, with a chip on both shoulders.

Krystal n chips
30th May 2014, 17:06
" Its "bon appetit" K & C. Otherwise it would be "bonne appetite"

Alas, even you TTN failed to grasp the context...;)

After all, this is not the clientele of 160 Picc ( where one has also been known to stuff ones gob.....terrible really, letting uneducated peasants like me in to such a venue ) the posts contents are addressed to. Nice place and you don't have to get dressed up like a dogs dinner to do so.....I did have a wash though.

We are, though, discussing two issues here....one is French cuisine, which I like irrespective of the country it's being served in... and the other........... is the culinary equivalent of being a Sun reader.

Tankertrashnav
30th May 2014, 22:50
Sorry K & C but as a former French teacher I have to grit my teeth when I hear people getting it wrong, like those who think they are being really clever by pronouncing the phrase "coup de grace" as "coo de gra" which roughly translates a "fat stroke"!

Dushan
31st May 2014, 01:11
Back in the early 80s I was in Aspen so much some people thought that I was a local. Really. During that period a guy wanted to put a McDonald's in downtown Aspen.

My God, you would have thought that he wanted to put in an open sewage treatment plant in downtown Aspen, that was how up in arms the local newspapers and some of the not-really-a-local-but-I'm-rich-and-have-a-holiday-home-here folks became trying to prevent the McDonald's from being built.

However, despite howls of outrage, fears that life as they knew it would come to a catastrophist end, the McDonalds was built, after the guy that wanted to build the McDonald's took the City of Aspen and the Pitkin County commissioners to court, all the way to the State Supreme Court before he won.

A similar thing was happening in Jackson Hole, WY, when we were there last fall. Starbucks was opening the store on the main square and there were howls in local papers, you'd think a nuclear power plant would have been more welcome.

500N
31st May 2014, 03:06
We gad the same in an outer suburb of Melbourne.

Huge local protests, arrests etc, court cases.

A foes weeks after if opened, a journo went yo visit. It was fill with a queue outside to get in !

Worrals in the wilds
31st May 2014, 05:04
Byron Bay is still Maccas free. I think the council's gone to court about it. Personally I think it's a bit precious, particularly given the number of terrible burger shops that already operate there. One more wouldn't make much of a difference.

John Hill
31st May 2014, 05:21
Venison back steaks, Bluff oysters, blue cod with vegetables of choice so long as they include Southland swedes. That is the proper tucker anything else is just to tide one over.

Fliegenmong
31st May 2014, 06:39
One not too far from here.... :ok:

Garlic Clove Restaurant Reviews, Gold Coast, Australia - TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g255337-d724963-Reviews-Garlic_Clove_Restaurant-Gold_Coast_Queensland.html)

Mrs Fliegs and I have always found it to be excellent, despite the mixed reviews above :confused:

Strangely their own website doesn't seem to display?

Garlic Clove ? Award-Winning French Cuisine On The Water (http://www.garlicclove.com.au/)

Another link?

https://plus.google.com/116249274365849933109/photos

Not cheap but we've always found it to be very very good. As a bonus the development it's within is set up kinda like a little European village....which at first looked really rather odd, and out of sorts....but it's grown on us...

B Fraser
31st May 2014, 08:19
Didn't McD' claim to own all rights to the Mc prefix ?

Johnny Frenchman has the finest cuisine in the world if you go off the beaten track. I'm on the pilgrimage to Le Mans in a couple of weeks and am looking forward to having lunch at a favourite cafe miles from the circuit. Simple good food served with excellent wine by an owner who takes pride in what he does best.

Thanks to this thread, I have remembered that there's a tin of canard au vin in the larder that I brought back from Bordeaux. Duck pie for Sunday lunch !!!! Well done chaps :ok:

G-CPTN
31st May 2014, 08:36
IIRC there was a Routiers bistro on the left of the Mulsanne Straight (about halfway down).

Apart from self-sufficiency on the circuit we used to celebrate at la Chartres sur le Loir.

Capetonian
31st May 2014, 09:22
I believe that Hampstead in north London resisted the scourge of MuckD and is still uninfected. Jersey also resisted but gave in eventually and the muck food dispenser is in the otherwise lovely Halkett Street Market, like a carbuncle on the face of a beautiful woman.

Vercingetorix
31st May 2014, 12:31
Recomend the cuisine of the Haute Savoie:
Reblochon, Tartiflette, Pierre Chaud, Savoyarde fondue, Raclette, & La Tarte aux Myrtilles.
As for the wines Chignin is acceptable.
Cheers:ok:

Worrals in the wilds
31st May 2014, 12:50
One not too far from here.... :ok:Cheers for that, will check it out.
Didn't McD' claim to own all rights to the Mc prefix ? Nah, they just tried. Local case from a few years ago, but they got kippered. :ok: It also generated a huge amount of local publicity for Mr McBratney and his footy team and made Maccas look like corporate jerks. Make that loser corporate jerks. :ouch::E
The Delegate of the Register of trade marks held that the application by McBratney Services Pty Ltd, to register the trade mark MCBRAT in class 25 (clothing, footwear and headgear) could proceed to registration. This decision is despite opposition by one of Australia’s largest corporate entities, McDonalds.1 This decision affirms that McDonalds does not have a monopoly on registrations for trade marks with Mc or MAC prefixes.McBrats wins in IP lawyer vs Maccas case | Lawyers Weekly (http://www.lawyersweekly.com.au/news/mcbrats-wins-in-ip-lawyer-vs-maccas-case)
The McBattle over McBrat (http://www.mallesons.com/publications/marketAlerts/2006/Documents/8608435w.htm)

Metro man
31st May 2014, 13:38
Maccas had a problem with their trade mark in Scotland when someone started a MacDonald's as Mc and Mac are different names under Scottish law.:)