PDA

View Full Version : It might be down, but it certainly isn't out.. VC10

NutLoose
28th May 2014, 11:51
Posted over on the flypast forum from the latest Bruntingthorpe open day :)

http://youtu.be/DlHU8i5Pffo

Cows getting bigger
28th May 2014, 13:29
Car alarms, marvellous. :)

Ripline
28th May 2014, 14:49
Car alarms, marvellous. :)

Damn right! My Disco was a most enthusiastic applauder of both VC10 and Lightning.... :D

smujsmith
28th May 2014, 22:33
Glorious Nutty,

Everything I remember of the "guzzomie bird". Anyone know who is authorised to do the run ? I'm just wondering what Mr Beagle does with his weekends since the Funbus arrived at Brunty.

Smudge:ok:

AGS Man
29th May 2014, 05:09
It might not even be down. It could do an "accidental" bunny hop like the Victor did! You never know!

BEagle
29th May 2014, 06:42
smujsmith wrote: I'm just wondering what Mr BEagle does with his weekends since the Funbus arrived at Brunty.

Not me, chum. But I know who it was!

RAF_Techie101
29th May 2014, 18:50
Anyone know who is authorised to do the run ?

Privately owned aircraft, privately owned airfield, not leaving the ground. No authorisations required.

Simplythebeast
29th May 2014, 19:39
Twould be such a shame if it inadvertantly took off and did a quick circuit (of the UK!).

Dysonsphere
29th May 2014, 20:45
Noticed flaps were down, were they in the take off setting.:E

NutLoose
29th May 2014, 21:29
Privately owned aircraft, privately owned airfield, not leaving the ground. No authorisations required.

Public display, crowd close to runway, would think the insurance would req certain people authorised to do it from the left hand seat..

SFCC
29th May 2014, 22:19
What a waste of Avtur

Jhieminga
30th May 2014, 12:31
The culprit posted this video in the forum on my site: http://youtu.be/r72Z4SoNuxg

MAINJAFAD
30th May 2014, 12:53
The VC-10 may have been not out, but that run did pop one of the tyres. Aber Ratman, may have a photo of the fun they had trying to change it.

Wander00
30th May 2014, 14:35
NKL - well with perhaps not the most appropriate guy in the RH seat, we know what happened with the Victor!

ShotOne
30th May 2014, 22:08
"Waste of avtur...??" Surely not. To think of all the fossil fuel burned for not very good reasons. Give that man a "most miserable post of the week" award. And by his moniker, a fellow 'bus driver too!

NutLoose
30th May 2014, 22:37
Totally agree shotone.... It's a living breathing museum, far better to have aircraft on display that ARE maintained to the same standards as the RAF and are regularly run up and down a runway, watching the likes of the Victor scream off down the runway with all it's systems serviceable, you see water streaming from a myriad of orifices as it sheds it and gets air flowing throughout the airframe, orifices that on static aircraft allow water to simply sit and rot...

The only way you are going to keep these things viable as outside museum pieces is to keep them "operational."

The BA collection of airliners, RAF VC 10 Abingdon storage, and the tragic case of the Lyneham Comet shows the folly of parking them up and letting them fester...
The fact that after decades of wasting Avtur, the Victor accidentally got airborne, successfully flew, landed and everything worked as it said on the tin speaks volumes of the dedication of those involved in keeping her in a serviceable condition.... Additionally if it wasn't for the likes of Mr Walton at Bruntingthorpe sinking his own money and time into the likes of these, XH558 would never have flown or displayed again..

So, to quote from the film, The Battle of the Bulge...

burn it, burn it all

TheWizard
31st May 2014, 09:35
The only way you are going to keep these things viable as outside museum pieces is to keep them "operational."

What a perfect solution!

An ageing old and obsolete aircraft smelling of beer, curry and farts. Situation normal.

Pilot Mustafa Azim Aolad and chef Mofuh Miah buy retired Vickers VC10 passenger aeroplane and turn it into 117-seat curry house at Bruntingthorpe Airfield in Lutterworth, Leicestershire | Metro News (http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/30/pilot-buys-retired-passenger-jet-and-turns-it-into-117-seat-curry-house-4745408/)

PapaDolmio
31st May 2014, 12:05
I wonder if they'll serve that orange squash that made you even more thirsty after you'd drunk it?

NutLoose
31st May 2014, 12:09
I used to like that orange juice..

That means two are preserved then Wizard and hopefully will provide a spare source for the active one.

Jhieminga
31st May 2014, 18:02
Not really. The curry restaurant is a temporary use for ZD241. This article is a bit better at describing the facts: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/brum-chef-opens-indian-restaurant-7190927

mad_jock
31st May 2014, 18:25
they have had a dc6 restaurant in COV airport for years.