PDA

View Full Version : Abz - Ams - Bio

Shack37
27th May 2014, 16:37
Hi, IŽm flying Aberdeen to Bilbao via Schipol with KLM next week and been trying to find arrival, departure info regarding Piers etc. Been a long time since I did this route so I donŽt recall times/distances between arrival and departure piers. I have 75 minutes between arrival and departure but am no longer up to a sprint between these points. If anyone has recent experience of this route, any info would be appreciated.

ExXB
27th May 2014, 18:17
You will be entering the Schengen area at SPL so passport control is needed. If you have any worries ask KLM to provide assistance. The Schipol handling agents will meet you at the gate and take you through formalities to your departure gate. While you may be the last off the arriving aeroplane you could be first on the connecting flight. Don't worry, you won't get a wheelchair, it will be a golfcart.

You don't have to prove you need assistance, they must provide it. It's included in your ticket price, so there is no excuse for not asking. They do ask for 72 hours notice, so ask for it sooner rather than later. A phone call to the airline you booked with is needed, you can't do this on-line

I wouldn't do this at Gatwick, which employs pound scum for this, but think you should be OK in the Netherlands.

Shack37
27th May 2014, 19:38
ExXB
Many thanks for that information, very helpful. IŽll look into the assistance set up and get organised.
Thanks again

Flyer70
28th May 2014, 10:53
My wife and I have used the KLM special assistance service many times when transferring at Amsterdam. It has always been excellent and efficient.

Shack37
28th May 2014, 11:31
Thanks Flyer70, also very encouraging. Flights are booked with AF as outbound to Abz via CdG. Their website gives an email address for mobility assistance (saphir) and a phone number.
IŽve tried the email and if no reply IŽll give them a call.

Phileas Fogg
28th May 2014, 12:13
A long time since I did SPL also but as I recall the Murphy's Irish Pub is around the "D" Gates :)

Shack37
28th May 2014, 17:43
A long time since I did SPL also but as I recall the Murphy's Irish Pub is around the "D" Gates :)

Perhaps we can scoop one as we pass:ok:

Had the following reply to my email request

We thank you for your email.
In response to your mail we have requested a wheelchair service for you and your wife for airport Amsterdam and Paris.
We hope herewith to have handled according to your wishes.
Kind regards,

Help at CdG not really needed as lots of time between flights. Waiting now to see if I receive any instructions on contacting staff at airport(s) or all is now organised.

Flyer70
28th May 2014, 18:12
When I have used the KLM service the onboard crew have always contacted us at our seats just before landing to let us know someone would be waiting for us when we left the aircraft.

ExXB
28th May 2014, 18:41
Murphy's Irish Pub
Near gate D10, you will find an authentical Irish pub. Have a taste of the warm hospitality of Ireland.

The D gates are in the Schengen side I believe, so after passport control.

jackieofalltrades
28th May 2014, 18:50
The Schengen gates are B and C. Murphy's Pub is near the base of the D pier.

Shack37
28th May 2014, 19:13
"When I have used the KLM service the onboard crew have always contacted us at our seats just before landing to let us know someone would be waiting for us when we left the aircraft."

Thanks again Flyer70, very reassuring.

Pub locations taken on board, thanks

iggie
30th May 2014, 14:57
ExXB

I haven't heard of the expression 'pound scum'. What do you mean by it please? What is it that you 'wouldn't do' at Gatwick and why would you not do it?

ExXB
30th May 2014, 16:13
Iggie, do you really want to hear how poorly Gatwick airport, or their outsourced minions, handled a PRM I was travelling with? Waiting over an hour despite repeated requests from the cockpit, loosing parts of their wheelchair, blaming everyone else but themselves for their failings, refusing responsibility?

I wouldn't send my worst enemy as a PRM via Gatwick.

Pond scum is actually a compliment.

parabellum
30th May 2014, 23:16
We thank you for your email.
In response to your mail we have requested a wheelchair service for you and your wife for airport Amsterdam and Paris.
We hope herewith to have handled according to your wishes.
Kind regards,

Shack37 - Wheelchair assistance is definitely NOT what you are asking for, what you need is Passenger Assistance on Arrival.

Wheelchair pax are usually LAST OFF whereas pax asking for assistance due connecting flights are often FIRST off. You really need to sort this one out.

Phileas Fogg
31st May 2014, 03:43
I wouldn't do this at Gatwick, which employs pound scum for this, but think you should be OK in the Netherlands.

do you really want to hear how poorly Gatwick airport

First of all it's "Netherlands" or "Nederlands", there ain't no "the" in the title of the country.

And how poorly things are performed at LGW, well how about how poorly things are performed at SPL, namely KLM cabin crew emergency training.

Half the fire extinguishers were empty and then the instructor instructed the trainee to strike/ignite the hand held flare with it pointing towards her rather than pointing away from her ... I was the one that subsequently drove the trainee to the medical centre with burns to her face!

Shack37
31st May 2014, 10:41
Shack37 - Wheelchair assistance is definitely NOT what you
are asking for, what you need is Passenger Assistance on Arrival.

Wheelchair pax are usually LAST OFF whereas pax asking for assistance due
connecting flights are often FIRST off. You really need to sort this one
out.

Parabellum, thanks. From an earlier reply I have the impression that itŽll be a golfcart however IŽll check it out just in case.

DaveReidUK
31st May 2014, 12:42
First of all it's "Netherlands" or "Nederlands", there ain't no "the" in the title of the country.Better tell the Dutch government, then: Government.nl | Information from the Government of The Netherlands (http://www.government.nl/) :O

Phileas Fogg
31st May 2014, 13:05
Better tell the Dutch government, then

Many of the ignoramuses of this world call it "Holland", there's many a ship with a "Holland" registration written upon it, the national football team might have "Holland" printed upon their shirts, there ain't no such country as "Holland".

Where I am now they claim to speak English when actually they speak American, they can't understand a word I say, if asked where I am from normally I would say UK/Britain but here I say "England, we invented the language, what do you mean you can't understand me?".

Sometimes, just sometimes, we need to play to the audience ... "OK, I'm from Holland or this is The Netherlands" :)

Shack37
11th Jun 2014, 22:10
Hello again,
Just got back and hereŽs how it went.
Checked in at Abz and was asked if assistance was required there, thank you but no.
On descent into Schipol CC contacted us to say the golf cart would be waiting.
Leaving the aircraft the same CC passed us to the assistance team who whizzed us to our departure gate passing through security and Passport control on the way.
On approach into Bilbao the CC asked if we required assistance on arrival. Again it was thank you but not necessary.

The whole thing was handled efficiently and with courtesy. The KLM CC were fantastic on both legs of the trip.

Nothing but praise all round.