PDA

View Full Version : Middle East & Far East - names

alisoncc
27th May 2014, 00:52
Always been amused by the references to the Middle East and Far East by news announcers around the world, when they are actually referenced to the UK. Both being East of the UK. Our American cousins regularly use the expression "The Middle East" when referring to certain areas of the world, as do Australians. Pity the expression "The Far West" never came into vogue for the US of A and Canada.

Whilst the expression "Scandinavian countries" aptly describes the collection of Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, what phrase could be used to more aptly describe the Middle East. And also areas such as Singapore, Malaya, Thailand, Hong Kong, etc. rather than the Far East. Tend to think of S.E. Asia as referring to the Indian sub-continent only.

mikedreamer787
27th May 2014, 04:11
Australia covers it all by referring to
everywhere else on the globe as "the
other side of the Black Stump".

Within the country its "whoop whoop"
if the place is little known and out in
the sticks or desert somewhere.

I agree its all confusing with Far East,
South East Asia, Asia, Asia Minor, etc.

gupta
27th May 2014, 04:59
It does depend to a great degree on your initial location.

When watching UK TV, for instance, I was always misled when someone was referred to as "Asian", when it was obvious that they were Indian or Pakistani.

So, in Oz, Middle East is anything East of the Med up to India/Pakistan which is the Subcontinent, and the rest to China/Japan is SE Asia or just Asia.

SMT Member
27th May 2014, 06:09
Whilst the expression "Scandinavian countries" aptly describes the collection of Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark

Except that'll be 'The Nordics', which also includes Iceland. Scandinavia is Denmark, Norway and Sweden only.

500N
27th May 2014, 06:13
Can we add "back of beyond" in there somewhere ? :O

gupta
27th May 2014, 06:21
Absolutely Mr N

Back of beyond is anywhere off the major highways and out of the "J" curve

500N
27th May 2014, 06:23
Anywhere North of the Murray, West of Penrith and Toowoomba
(and north of Adelaide and East of Perth) :O

I even consider the highways in that area BOB.

Ever been to Woomera, Simpson Desert etc !

PLovett
27th May 2014, 06:31
Except that'll be 'The Nordics', which also includes Iceland. Scandinavia is Denmark, Norway and Sweden only.

I thought it included Finland as well.

The term "Middle East" is a very colonial idea. Something from back in time when most of the atlas was red and the sun never set sort of thing. I believe that in what is termed the middle east they actually refer to the area as western asia. And where this idea of a sub-continent came from, referring to India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. I suspect that is another hangover from the Raj.

ExSp33db1rd
27th May 2014, 06:32
Just say "Wogs begin at Dover"

Covers it all then.

alisoncc
27th May 2014, 06:37
Lets not be too specific - Wogs and Frogs.

500N
27th May 2014, 06:41
That's it, you two owe me a new keyboard !

I was not expecting that when I scrolled down :O

Thanks for the laugh :ok:

Tu.114
27th May 2014, 07:04
It probably is all a matter of perspective. In Germany, being farther east than the UK, there is another differentiation in use. The "Near East" (Naher Osten) refers to Turkey, Syria, Israel, Iraq, Iran and the countries on the Arab peninsula. Middle East starts east of this, including the -stans, India and Bangladesh, while the definition of Far East is similar to the English one again.

This is obviously a source of difficulty for translators and newspaper journalists using English language texts. Often, the English "Middle East" is mistranslated as "Mittlerer Osten", while "Naher Osten" would have been appropriate.

probes
27th May 2014, 07:08
And then there's America and North America, of course. :E

Um... lifting...
27th May 2014, 07:10
British naming conventions are always suspect.

These are, after all, the people who brought us South Norfolk.

I thought you lot called what's now The Middle East the Near East for time.

Then there was East of Suez, which was a bit fuzzy.

Then of course the Far East, skipping past Central Asia.

The Far West, as everyone knows, is generally accepted to be everything upstream of Sioux City drained by the Missouri River. Term's been in use only a couple of centuries.

ExSp33db1rd
27th May 2014, 07:21
.......which was a bit fuzzy.

As in Fuzzy Wuzzy's ?

sitigeltfel
27th May 2014, 07:30
Middle East: Knightsbridge/Kensington
FarEast: Dagenham

Ascend Charlie
27th May 2014, 07:33
Back of Beyond is not as far out as the GAFA.*

*GAFA = Great Australian F-All - there is nothing past that spot.

alisoncc
27th May 2014, 07:36
I suppose it does make sense if, instead of being relative to the beholder, they are considered to be relative to the Prime Meridian which passes through Greenwich. But at what point does the Far East become the Far West - along the date line? Probably need to introduce some more variables. Thus Kiwiland is the Far South East.

Um... lifting...
27th May 2014, 08:13
Columbus thought
it would be best

To reach the East
by going West.

Capetonian
27th May 2014, 08:18
A geography teacher of mine used to refer to east Asia, west Asia, central Asia, and so on, that seems to make more sense.

Having gown up in Africa, it was always very clear to me that central Africa was the Rhodesian Federation and Bots, southern was SA, South West Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Moz, Angolsh ........ very clear.

My Dad used to espouse the belief that wogs begin at Calais, my Mum on the other hand wrongly believed that civilisation began there and the level of civilisation increased the closer you got to Paris. How wrong she was.

John Hill
27th May 2014, 09:38
Civilisation is unknown north of the Bombay Hills.

ExSp33db1rd
27th May 2014, 10:50
.....and the level of civilisation increased the closer you got to Paris. and then decreased again the further East one got after Paris ?

How true.

Civilisation is unknown north of the Bombay Hills. I live North of the Bombay Hills, and can attest to that.

I also live at the end of a long road out of town. Approaching town from my end, there is a side road joining MY road, coming in from my right, from a large urban complex. Clearly no one living in that area believes that civilisation exists further down the road from town,absolutely NO ONE ever looks to their left before ignoring the STOP sign on THEIR road.

I have worn out two horns and many brake pads, but no actual crunching sounds - yet.

Blacksheep
27th May 2014, 13:25
And also areas such as Singapore, Malaya, Thailand, Hong Kong, etc. rather than the Far East. Tend to think of S.E. Asia as referring to the Indian sub-continent only. Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Brunei, Pihilippines etc. consider themselves as South East Asia and have formed a trading alliance called the Association of South East Asian Nations or ASEAN. So I guess they're SE Asia.

I've only ever heard of the Indian sub-continent being referred to as South Asia. The modern Middle East used to be Asia Minor in the days of the Emp-aah! - only the Royal Air Force identified it as the Middle East - being half way between the Far East (Singapore & Hong Kong) and the Near East (Gibraltar, Malta, Cyprus, Libya & Egypt) The various 'Stans formed Central Asia and China was Asia proper, with Japan and Korea forming the Far East.

MagnusP
27th May 2014, 14:09
Well, in Scotland, Kiwiland is neither east nor west. It's straight down. Does that help?

Matari
27th May 2014, 15:40
Funny how "Oriental" has become one of those verboten words. We are meant to say "Asian" these days, but who knows how and why these rules change.