PDA

View Full Version : PNG Digital Maps down to 1:250K

compressor stall
26th May 2014, 12:49
I've just stumbled across these. I know how rare the paper copies are. Might be worth printing for the newcomers to PNG.

Digital maps of PNG, from ONCs down to 1:250K topo maps.

They are old, but in the case of ONC's the latest issue. Despite this, they are prefaced with "not for navigation" to keep the US lawyers at bay, but the mountains haven't changed that much (if they were surveyed correctly the first time :} ).

The website apparently doesn't take kindly to web dumper type programs, so right click >> save as might be your best bet.

Enjoy.

Papua New Guinea Maps - Perry-Castaņeda Map Collection - UT Library Online (http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/papua_new_guinea.html)

Captain Nomad
27th May 2014, 02:03
Just have to watch out for the addition of all those 'new' Digicel towers...! :uhoh:

A Squared
27th May 2014, 08:27
Very nice find. Wish I'd had that link a while back.

Capn Bloggs
27th May 2014, 11:58
Excellent! Now I'll know where I am! :D

tail wheel
27th May 2014, 20:47
This series from 1942 includes almost all of what is now Papua New Guinea

Not for navigational use This series covers Papua New Guinea

This series, published in the 1960s, includes most of what is now Papua New Guinea

Portion of U.S. Army Map Service, Sheet SC 55-7, Series T504, 1965 (689K)

A word of caution. Many of the early maps of Papua New Guinea contained numerous inaccuracies until quite recent years.

Some errors were corrected following the RAAF surveys (with Canberras in the 1960s/1970s?) and after the Union Air surveys (with Queenairs in the 1970s?) and the Australian Army (with Kiowas in the 1980s?)

This is particularly so in respect to spot heights in the Highlands.

Caveat emptor!!! :=

What a pity someone in Canberra lost the original and corrected PNG map printing plates.

compressor stall
27th May 2014, 23:37
Good advice Taily

At least it gives a good heads up and can be annoted with the correct heights if known!

In the case of the ONCs, they're the same as my current set I bought in Cairns 15 years ago...

chimbu warrior
28th May 2014, 01:08
PNG WAC charts are available on the OzRunways iPad app, and have been updated with the addition of lots of extra strips.

Unfortunately they do not incorporate the Digicel towers, but overall the OzRunways data is far more accurate and up-to-date than PNG Airservices.

dubbleyew eight
28th May 2014, 05:59
surely to goodness better maps exist.
I was a photo librarian at the "map shop" in bandianna in the 70's plotting all the photo runs for the png 1:100,000 series done by the army survey corps.

the royal australian survey corps was disbanded in the late 90's but it didn't all vanish.
the new mapping effort is run by DIGO, the defence intelligence geospatial organisation.

I'd hunt them out and beat on their heads for the latest australian maps.
paper maps ceased with the end of RASVY and the bendigo printing unit (afaik)

DIGO should have all that available as electronic mapping.

If you understand "australia's area of interest" as its part in the allied international mapping effort you should be able to get mapping from new zealand all the way across to vietnam from DIGO.

(accurate maps are one of those little back room efforts australia makes to prevent us being attacked.)

if you are too inept to google start here... DIGO: About (http://www.defence.gov.au/digo/about.htm)

safety in aviation is one of australia's national interests. we spend (waste) enough on CAsA pursuing it.

Captain Nomad
28th May 2014, 09:47
W8, I believe civilians and civilian operators have contacted the ADF previously to obtain these 'latest' maps but I believe the military has not been forthcoming in releasing the maps due to legal and liability concerns. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe anyone has been successful in sourcing PNG maps from the ADF...

Ixixly
28th May 2014, 11:08
I don't know who you dealt with 773 but I have requested a few maps from the ADF through their AIS Online Request Form and have received the ones I asked for in a timely manner and at no cost. According to their website they have maps all the way down to 1:250,000 that have been updated mostly in the Mid 70s to Early 80s with some sections even in the early 90's which probably make them the best around.

I should mention I asked for Printed Copies of the maps I required not Digital ones which may have made a difference!!

Captain Nomad
28th May 2014, 11:20
Ixixly, were those maps specifically for PNG? Were they the 1:1 000 000 scale ONC style ones? How recently did you obtain them?

dubbleyew eight
28th May 2014, 11:48
Just for background
Papua New Guinea was mapped at 1:100,000 during the 70's and 80's.
Australia was mapped entirely at 1:25,000 at least 4 times I'm told.
Indonesia was mapped at 1:100,000.

we gave indonesia the triangulation results and the aerial photography for their Djantop to do their own mapping to develop their internal national technologies.

the bloody mapping is available somewhere in our government I'm sure.
maybe get your local mp onto softening the resistance. :E

AQIS Boigu
28th May 2014, 14:58
Good stuff...

Imagine these maps on an ipad cruising around the valleys in a Bongo...

olderairhead
29th May 2014, 05:13
I have a digital edition of WAC's and willing to share.

Download from here: download - filecloud.io (http://filecloud.io/g4105hei)

Also have ONC's and TPC's if needed.

Ixixly
29th May 2014, 07:13
Sorry All, I should clarify that mine were for the South Pacific, I'm not sure if this makes a big difference to them as you'd think Maps are Maps? I got the ONC 1:1,000,000 Charts for the area, 3 different ones of 2 occasions and no problems with obtaining any of them.

Arm out the window
29th May 2014, 20:53
The PNG ONCs don't seem yellow enough for some reason! I seem to remember 'yellow perils', or was that the 1:500 000s?

Pinky the pilot
6th Jun 2014, 11:11
What a pity someone in Canberra lost the original and corrected PNG map printing plates._

Taily; You sure it wasn`t some clown in PNG who did that? I actually heard the story that the plates were `accidentally` broken.:ugh::mad:

6th Jun 2014, 13:55
Union Air surveys (with Queenairs in the 1970s?)
1970s is correct.
We found errors up to 20nm, so be careful of older maps.