PDA

View Full Version : EU Parliament Elections

SMT Member
26th May 2014, 04:42
The results are starting to tick in, and across the board it looks as if EU sceptic and far-right parties have made major gains, whereas the 'traditional' centrist and left-leaning parties have lost a lot of ground.

Good or bad? Well, I'm no big fan of the xenophobic traits many far-right and/or nationalistic parties are generally displaying, and I somehow feel 'the establishment' will join forces and do whatever it takes to keep status quo. But I do very much like the kick up the bolloquex the EU has taken. It's high time that place was subjected to a major overhaul, starting with releasing authority back to national governments, getting a financial audit, ending the CAP, reinstalling border controls and dispense with the idiotic monthly moves between Strasbourg and Brussels and the enormous waste on stupid projects.

On the last bit, however, that's unlikely ever to happen for two reasons: The French will never accept it, and it requires a unanimous vote from all member states.

Still, a step in the right direction.

Rwy in Sight
26th May 2014, 14:44
The issue with the EU is that it is a "fine-weather" organisation. As long as money was pouring in everybody loved it. The Germans were giving the South money to buy their industrial goods and making a profit, the south was enjoying a good standard of living etc.

Unfortunately money did run out so nowdays everybody feels right to complain aobut the issues swept under the carpet few years ago.

Rwy in Sight

ExXB
26th May 2014, 14:59
IMHO a very good thing. The new parliament will give the EC a real headache, which would be also a very good thing.

G-CPTN
26th May 2014, 15:12
At what stage will the turkeys (UKIP members and others opposed to the EU) vote for Christmas and bring an end to the fiasco (or will they refuse to attend)?

acbus1
26th May 2014, 15:27
Wassiss? A party promising to ban Christmas?

Where do I vote. :ok:

Christmas in the UK has come early, as far as I'm concerned.

It'll come again at General Election time next year, if the electorate stick to their guns. Sadly, a lot will probably wimp out.

The SSK
26th May 2014, 15:27
Turkeys ...

As I understand it, the Eurosceptic MEPs usually sign up at the beginning of a business day (so as to collect their expenses) and then bugger off without taking part in the proceedings.

Although occasionally they can be 'persuaded' to vote by pressure groups. On the last known occasion unfortunately they voted the wrong way because they didn't understand the procedures.

Fareastdriver
26th May 2014, 15:50
Any number of Eurosceptics are going to be outvoted by the freeloaders from Eastern and Southern Europe.