PDA

View Full Version : An unknown hero

Click Clack
21st May 2002, 21:16
From tuesdays Guardian

He should be a hero. He risked his life in the world's most inhospitable landscape. His bravery was extraordinary, yet he did what he had to do for no motive other than saving the life of a total stranger. It was an utterly selfless, remarkably courageous act. And we have no idea who he is. The pilot who landed a small ski-plane on a 320-metre ice floe last weekend, 300km from the North Pole, to pick up the stranded adventurer Dave Mill, has not been named.

It is the 34-year-old Scotsman Mill - making his third attempt to be the first man to go solo and "unaided" from Canada to the North Pole - who has been heralded as the hero of this pathetic tale of failure. Marooned many miles from solid land, Mill emailed a digital photo of a possible landing site to a rescue team in Canada. Mill's spokesman neatly twisted the events leading up to his rescue, making it clear where credit should lie. "The rescue was a first as normally the pilot has to fly by to take a look at the ground and establish whether it is safe to land," he said. "But he was able to accept the mission based on the quality of the images Dave emailed from his mobile."

So it was Mill's ingenuity and resourcefulness in knowing how to use a mobile phone that saved the day! No mention of the pilot's bravery in accepting the challenge. Our action man Mill is the only hero allowed to place his footprint on this treacherous arctic landscape.

The same spokesman called Mill's fiasco a "dangerous expedition". But dangerous for whom? Although the ex-soldier claimed he was "unaided", the definition of what counts as aid is sorely stretched.

When his two camping stoves broke five days into his journey, he called up a supply plane to fly out replacements, as if ordering a home delivery from Sainsbury's. A satellite system pinpointed his position for his back-up team at all times.

With the help of his trusty mobile phone company, who sponsored his trek, he filed stories to national newspapers from 85 degrees north. Pop star David Gray gave him a morale-boosting call. (I wonder if he had Please Forgive Me as his ring tone?) And all in the knowledge that if anything did go really, really wrong, there were always men like the nameless brave pilot to bail him out.

But bravery is an attribute still firmly rooted in Victorian ideals. Our image of a hero has changed little since the 19th-century explorers macheted fresh paths through tropical jungles and trekked across vast deserts. Unsurprisingly, Mill describes himself as one of the last "true" explorers. "As I walk, I can feel what Shackleton felt and what Scott must have experienced," he says on his website, updated daily from the Arctic Circle.

The essential elements for inclusion in this gallery of heroes are: physical daring and prowess; a sense of doing it alone (back-up teams and native assistants don't count); a claim to be conquering new territory in a new way (by adding "unaided", solo, backwards or any other such adjective before the endeavour if need be); and a large dose of testosterone. (Female heroes, such as Ellen Macarthur the 5ft 2in yachtswoman, are only heroes for overcoming their physical disadvantages.) Mill contrives to conform to all these conditions, even informing us that he's being stalked by a polar bear, a strange claim as polar bears do not stalk humans as prey.

There is one further essential element to heroism: exclusivity. Heroes are other than you and me. Heroism is not something we could raise ourselves to, ever. Mill's friend and fellow hero Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes has talked about how men such as he and Dave are made from different stuff. Not better, he insists, just different. They are born to be heroes. We are not.

But it is actually we ordinary mortals who are the most heroic. As many a recent disaster has proved, bravery and heroism are not attributes you are born with, but rise to in a particular situation. From September 11 to the Potters Bar rail crash, we hear stories of ordinary people who respond extraordinarily. There is nothing of the stunt about these actions. No one who acted heroically did so by choice, but because they had no choice. Real heroes are only heroes because they have to be.

Less than 48 hours before his rescue, Mill, with no sense of irony, said on his satellite phone: "As an unaided, unsupported explorer, I have no one to help me. I am on my own." He described his trip as being all about "self-reliance". Yet, irony upon irony, it's Mill's arrogance in attempting to prove himself a hero that has created another one.

Mill is entitled to attempt to do any absurd journey he likes, with as many hi-tech props as he requires. But he is not entitled to expect us to respond, namelessly and with no reward, when he gets himself into trouble. After all, unlike him, we weren't born to be heroes.

-------
Well done to that pilot. A fantastic job.

forget
21st May 2002, 21:56
Excellent read. Back to the top! Who're the Canuck pilots?

Paddle Steamer
22nd May 2002, 04:47
Outstanding effort by the pilot and all involved in the "rescue". I have met many suchlike individuals who claim to be just different and some are superb people,Norman vaughn comes to mind as i flew him and his team into Patriot Hills a few years ago and a wonderfull man...others are not as "humble".Met many of the Borek pilots and superb bunch...

Cpt. Underpants
22nd May 2002, 05:29
Courtesy Babelfish:

RESOLUTE BAY (Canada). The Scot Dave Mill (34) wanted to be first humans, who reach the north pole alone to foot. But the weather brought it in danger to life. until a Urner pilot saved it from white hell. Already twice Mill tried to reach to foot and without assistance the north pole. With the third attempt it had already put 300 back that nearly 700 kilometers. At temperatures of up to minus 30 degrees. sometimes even of polar bears pursues. Its equipment carried along the Scot in a carriage, which was at the same time a small boat. In 54 march days in the eternal ice the young adventurer lost nearly 20 Kilos weight. But on Sunday it had to give up. the weather was too bad. On the ice Mill danger to life threatened: Everywhere fallow it up, tides it on a scholle between icebergs would have pushed. There each rescue would have become impossible. By satellite telephone Mill rescue requested, transmitted also equal a picture its position. A Urner decided to dare the risky 16-Stunden-Flug for Mill: Karl Zberg (63). The pilot born in Silenen UR applies with nearly 30,000 flying hours and over 25 north pole landings as one of the most experienced men the Canadian "roofridge air". With its eight tons heavy DeHavilland twin Otter he found Mill in the ice. and frightened it nearly to death. "it touched my tent" during the approach, thus Mill. But the nerve-strong pilot is as good "as Michael Schumacher". correctly gently it set the machine on the ice. And Zberg had thought of everything: It brought even cheese tomato Sandwiches to the exhausted adventurer along and made for it thereby a giant joy. "then he, I said was to go to Mill for the flight better on the rear seat", remember schmunzelnd. "because I did not bathe nevertheless seven weeks long."

Woodman
22nd May 2002, 07:10
Well done to Karl Zberg. And 63 at that. Experienced, cool judgement of risks followed by application of skills learnt in a lifetime of aviation.

Or gung-ho old barnstormer unfettered by rules and common sense?

Anyone know which?

Bigears
22nd May 2002, 08:17
Woodman, Obviously the former- remember the adage, 'There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots'. :D

whats_it_doing_now?
22nd May 2002, 08:58
Got to say though, that is a shocking piece of subjective journalism. If the topic was slightly different this is the kind of thing that would normally be slated on pprune. I'll hand it to the guy, he had a go and was beaten under difficult conditions, there's no shame in that. It annoys me that someone from the safety of their airconditioned office can slate a person who has reached the limits of his abilities in such difficult conditions.
The pilots story is one of heroism, I'm certainly taking nothing from that. Was this journalist also suggesting that Shackleton et al were not heroic?

powerset
22nd May 2002, 11:14
The smug gruniad taliban are never happy unless they are taking the different point of view, knowing, as they do, that only their opinion carries any kind of authority as holders of the moral high ground. I notice that he includes himself in the 'everyday hero' mold. I'd be interested to know what he has done to deserve entry. For the record I heard the explorer on the radio marveling at the skill and bravery of the pilot's, stating that they were the best in the world and that he trusted them 100%. If I was that pilot I would feel alot better picking him up than that **** journalist.

steamchicken
22nd May 2002, 14:42
I read the Grauniad, and the journalist in question is Dea Birkett, who always, always has a dig at explorers whenever they are in the news. I especially like her crack about "polar bears do not stalk human beings". Exactly how often does she meet a polar bear in the Farringdon Road during the rush hour?

PS, that Babelfish translation is pants. I'll post a better one.

steamchicken
22nd May 2002, 15:06
Rescue at the North Pole: Pilot from Urn saved adventurer from icy hell

The Scotsman Dave Mill, 34, wanted to be the first man to reach the North Pole on foot and unaided. But the weather left him in deadly danger - until a pilot from Urn rescued him from that white hell.

Mill had already tried twice to reach the Pole on foot and unsupported. On his 3rd attempt he had covered 300 out of 700 kilometres, in temperatures down to -30 degrees and sometimes followed by polar bears. The Scot dragged his equipment behind him in a sledge, which also served as a boat. In 54 days on the march through the eternal ice, the young adventurer lost 20 kilos' weight. On Sunday he had to give up - the weather was too bad. Mill's life was in danger on the ice; as it broke up around him, the tides had trapped him on a floe between two icebergs. No rescue could reach him there.

Mill called for help by satellite phone, sending a photo of his position. An Urn man decided to dare the risky 16-hour flight for Mill: Karl Zberg, 63. The pilot, born in Sirenen, UR., is one of the Canadian airline First Air's most experienced men, with nearly 30,000 hours and 25 North Polar landings.

In his 8-ton De Havilland Twin Otter, he found Mill amidst the ice - and almost
scared him to death. "He touched my tent on landing", said Mill. But the pilot's nerves were "as good as Michael Schumacher" - he put the macchine gently down on the ice floe. And Zberg had thought of everything; he brought cheese-and-tomato sandwiches for the exhausted adventurer. "Then he said there was a seat in the back for me", laughed Mill. "After all, I hadn't had a bath in seven weeks."

RatherBeFlying
22nd May 2002, 19:38
A number of people have been taken by polar bears over the years.

Steffanson in one of his books recounts how when he made the mistake of stalking a polar bear from upwind, the bear rounded about and stalked him as he discovered at the last moment when the bear unwisely let out audible gloat before the lunge -- not smart when your prey is armed.

Other arctic explorers at the turn of the last century found polar bears easy hunting. They let the bear know of their presence and waited for it to come into range of what the bear thought was an easy meal.

Send Clowns
22nd May 2002, 22:23
Seems both attempted extraordinary feats. Fortunately the one who had something important to achieve was the one that succeeded. Ah well, we cannot widen the bounds of human achievement without risky endeavour, but I do agree with the reporter that this was barely unsupported. She lets some feminism glare through with the crack about Ellen MacArthur, who gained absolute praise from the British media for her achievement.

Meatbomber
25th May 2002, 09:24
8-ton Twotter eh ? :)

Genghis the Engineer
25th May 2002, 13:59
I'd have thought that if you do wandering about the North pole on your own and a Polar bear spots you, it'd wonder over for a look if only out of curiousity. Presumably to a Polar Bear's mind you are either (a) edible, or (b) alive and therefore know where some food is to be had.

Hard to really judge this, the pilot was obviously a capable professional doing something difficult and dangerous, which he was nonetheless able to do.

As to the explorer? Well, after 3 failures to perform a slight variation on what other people have done before, one is tempted to wonder what drives him? There may be good reasons, he may be bringing back useful scientific data, he may be a complete pillock who is lucky enough to attract sponsorship. Frankly, I think the information isn't there to judge.

I agree that the feminist dig about Ellen MacArthur's coverage was totally uncalled for. Whatever one thinks of them, the British press tends to praise or criticise either sex equally these days, and Ms Macarthur got a lot of praise, which personally I think she earned. When Colin Bodill and Jenifer Murray did their formation / dual solo round the world flight (he in a Mainair Blade and she in a Robinson R44) it seemed to me that outside the microlighting press she got more publicity, but neither really had cause to complain.

G

Mycroft
1st Jun 2002, 15:49
Interesting to see the press coverage of the above incident concentrating on how the rescue was facilitated by the use of a mobile phone, and the nice sponsors banners behind him, which just happened to be from a mobile phone company

stagger
1st Jun 2002, 17:23
Heard the guy who was rescued being interviewed on BBC Radio 5 last week. He kept mentioning the name of the mobile company at any and every opportunity - so many times in fact that the present told him to cut it out.