PDA

View Full Version : A puzzle

funfly
24th May 2014, 11:19
The puzzle for me is why people voted for UKIP in local elections.

Whether or not you support UKIP in their policy of withdrawing from the EEC, this policy has no relevence to who runs your local community.

So what's the point of electing a person whose committment is primarily about removing the UK from the European Community to be involved in the management of your local community?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th May 2014, 11:38
Because poverty, be that directly from immigration through job losses, or indirectly through wage cuts, crap working conditions, reduced access to services, etc, has become the only issue for a lot of people.
Voting for UKIP puts the mainstream party candidates out of a job, and since far too many of them are political animals who are solely interested in power and feathering their own bed, frankly this is the only language they understand.
The party starts at grassroots. No councillors seriously affects the national party.
It wouldn't matter if CoCo the Clown got voted in, just so long as a mainstream candidate didn't.
Furthermore, CoCo would probably screw things up less badly than a fair few of the 'regulars'.

500N
24th May 2014, 11:45
It sends a message to the big boys.

We are not happy with how things are.

In some ways, a protest vote at local level is a safe vote,
it sends a message but doesn't put the country in danger.

Capetonian
24th May 2014, 12:03
As I have just posted on another thread :

Quote:
So what's the point of electing a person whose committment is primarily about removing the UK from the European Community to be involved in the management of your local community?
None at all. It is to show that people are heartily sick of the evil dictatorship that is the EU and they will use any means or opportunity to show their desire to get the UK out of it.

Capot
24th May 2014, 12:32
I would like to invite Funfly to join our PPPP...

PPRuNe Plagiarists Party.

We're all for plagiarism in all its forms. But not much else. We chant P..P..P..P..P..P..P..P..P..P.. at all our gatherings, and then being of a certain age, we have to rush away undoing our flies as we go.

Sallyann1234
24th May 2014, 13:14
You could say the same about voting them for the EU Parliament.

The existing UKIP members there have the worst attendance record of all parties, and have not bothered to vote on matters where they could actually have benefitted the UK.

zarniwoop
24th May 2014, 13:26
Given the track record of the other parties the only serious question can be why any sane, rational person would keep voting for them.

acbus1
24th May 2014, 15:47
You could say the same about voting them for the EU Parliament.

The existing UKIP members there have the worst attendance record of all parties...
That's because their stated objective is an attendance record of zero. :cool:

Mr Optimistic
24th May 2014, 16:10
Wife voted UKIP. I can't be too snooty since I forgot all about it. There's an underlying suspicion about benefit tourists and free education. Without the immigration issue UKIP would die. Shame the main parties don't address it.

cockney steve
24th May 2014, 16:32
As over 50% of the populace is either on benefits, or employed in the public-sector, those turkeys aren't voting for Christmas. Hopefully, UKIP will burst that self-serving cosy bubble.

yes, it's a vote against the knobbers who see the public purse as an open invite to help themselves, without legal or moral obligation to the suckers who believed their patter.
They're bloody lucky we didn't have a revolution and hang-'em from the lampposts by their old-school-ties... (then stuff their corpses head first into their fancy duck-houses.) :}

funfly
24th May 2014, 17:22
As over 50% of the populace is either on benefits, or employed in the public-sector,

Don't forget that includes pensioners

The knobbers who see the public purse as an open invite to help themselves, without legal or moral obligation to the suckers who believed their patter.

I agree with this statement.

UKIP have gained popularity on the myth that all of our problems are due to these Johnny foreigners taking all our jobs. That's not actually correct, the problem with our country and our economy is the mismanagement by those public school boys who hold power and the fact that they are only interested in London issues. The problem with being part of Europe is not the people who move around working but the fact that the European parliament is made up of many people on the 'gravy train' with the very same attitudes (including the UKIP members) and few with a real interest in the lives of the people in Europe.

So, are you saying that voting for UKIP is an alternative to a revolution?
this could be a valid argument and it's a pity that the members are not perhaps a bit more reactionary.

If they included in their manifesto the abolition of the dysfunctional Royal family, changing us from a 'Monarchy' to a 'Democracy' then I might well be tempted to vote for them myself.

FF