PDA

View Full Version : Empire Day today.....

ONE GREEN AND HOPING
24th May 2014, 10:44
May 24th........I do believe it's Empire Day today! Also Rogation Day, and the Old Queen's Birthday.

( That's what it says in all my granny's diaries )

On with the Bowler and green wellies, and off to celebrate at the local rain-soaked agricultural show.

What it is to live in England.....

Tankertrashnav
24th May 2014, 10:49
And my wedding anniversary. Was raining this day in 1969 as well!

tony draper
24th May 2014, 11:25
We used to march past the flag and salute it at school on Empire Day,prolly send you to a fluffist re education camp if you did that now.
:rolleyes:

TomJoad
24th May 2014, 12:23
Hussar - bbq being fired and bunting suitably dispersed around the garden - any excuse. Happy Empire Day:ok:

cavortingcheetah
24th May 2014, 12:31
If those who live in Britain are fortunate, this Empire Weekend may be marked by such a victory for UKIP in the European elections as to guarantee a referendum leading to a sharp exit from the distortion of the dictatorial rule under which you presently labour.

ian16th
24th May 2014, 13:35
Empire Day (http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Empire-Day/)

Hydromet
24th May 2014, 13:51
And my wedding anniversary. Was raining this day in 1969 as well!Also mine, also 1969.
Used to be known as cracker night in Oz.:ok:

ricardian
24th May 2014, 14:08
I certainly remember my primary school teacher, the formidable Miss Livesley, getting us all to stand and sing the National Anthem on Empire Day. We also decorated the classroom with Union Flags - and woe betide you if you got a flag the wrong way up!

teeteringhead
24th May 2014, 14:48
We used to march past the flag and salute it at school on Empire Day ... indeed so Mr Draper.

And anyone with a (non-school) uniform wore it that day, so we had Cubs and Scouts, Guides and Brownies and Boys' Brigade amongst the pupils, and the odd St Johns, TA or CD (Civil Defence - whatever happened to them!) in the staff room.

And it is indeed the "Old Queen's" birthday; Queen Vic (monarch not fictional pub) was born 195 years ago today.

muppetofthenorth
24th May 2014, 15:00
We used to march past the flag and salute it at school on Empire Day,prolly send you to a fluffist re education camp if you did that now.

Easily avoided. I don't know of a single school near me - primary or secondary - that actually has a flag.

acbus1
24th May 2014, 15:18
I don't know of a single school near me - primary or secondary - that actually has a flag.

Jees, be realistic! You can't expect every UK school to stock that many flags!

Tankertrashnav
24th May 2014, 16:28
Dug around a bit and found that the last remaining Crown Colonies, which made up what remained of the British Empire, were renamed British Overseas Territories in 2002

File:Location of the BOTs.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Location_of_the_BOTs.svg)

So I suppose it's actually BOT day today!

ChrisVJ
24th May 2014, 16:34
Mrs VJs birthday.

Been marching past and saluting since 7.15 am.

Duckbutt
24th May 2014, 16:40
Whilst at attention I trust, Chris ;)

vulcanised
24th May 2014, 17:37
No mention from the BBC of course.

ChrisVJ
24th May 2014, 19:55
Not allowed any attention deficit in this house, specially not today.

Madam came back from gym half an hour ago complaining it was raining. Apparently I have to organise sunshine before we go out to brunch. Currently eight octs at five hundred feet. I'll never hear the last of it.

Krystal n chips
24th May 2014, 20:31
" No mention from the BBC of course"

Yes indeed, terribly remiss of the pinko left Corporation not to celebrate this momentous day......alas, the BBC, like most of us ( UKiP / Telegraph / Times and Mail readers excepted ) are currently living in the 21st century and couldn't actually care less about this less than glorious, at times, remnant of our past history.

Still, enjoy the wallow ....chaps

Toodle pip and three hurrahs for the Empire what!..... dashed good show eh !

con-pilot
24th May 2014, 23:08
Empire Day...

Err, what Empire would that be then?

Seldomfitforpurpose
24th May 2014, 23:12
Empire Day...

You guys have not been around that long but at one time you were part of it :p:p:p:p:p

con-pilot
24th May 2014, 23:30
You guys have not been around that long but at one time you were part of it

Yup, but we didn't like being part of your empire, went to war with you, twice, beating you twice so we were not part of your empire and now, as life would have it, you are part of our Empire.

Ain't life grand. :p

Seldomfitforpurpose
24th May 2014, 23:41
Yup, but we didn't like being part of your empire, went to war with you, twice, beating you twice so we were not part of your empire and now, as life would have it, you are part of our Empire.

Ain't life grand. :p

Empire, what Empire? :p

superq7
24th May 2014, 23:47
you are part of our Empire.

In your dreams sunshine .

Tankertrashnav
25th May 2014, 09:35

See my post #12 con. There's a map which shows you the current extent of the empire. I suspect if you added up the areas of all the colonies (sorry, British Overseas territories) omitting the Antarctic bit you could tuck the lot into a corner of Texas!

mikedreamer787
25th May 2014, 09:50
May 24th........I do believe it's Empire Day today!
Also Rogation Day, and the Old Queen's Birthday.

I didn't know the Empire still had its own
celebration day after Luke S finished off
his dad and the Emperor.

Hmm I've never heard of Rogation Day so
I stuck an extra teeny dose of Rogaine on
my noggin just in case.

Never celebrated the birthday of the old
queen or even when she was young. I do
like her though.

Ken Borough
25th May 2014, 12:30
Used to be known as cracker night in Oz

It might have been where you lived but when I was a youngster growing up in Victoria in the 1950s, we had our cracker night on 5th November. Looking back with my present knowledge, I think that was the right day for crackers!

pzu
25th May 2014, 13:30
In Kenya around late '50's/early '60's we also had a tree planting session following our school parades!!!

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

Tankertrashnav
25th May 2014, 16:41
Rogation days - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogation_days)

There you go Mikedreamer !

I trust Keef was fasting and saying a few prayers on our behalf. Most of us have got a lot to ask forgiveness for!

By the way you've got the wrong queen - as teeteringhead pointed out it refers to Queen Victoria. HM's birthday was on 23rd April (same day as Shakespeare's)

con-pilot
25th May 2014, 18:06
Tanker

See my post #12 con.

I did read that and looked at the link. I just threw some bait out there just to see who would bite.

Which was taken, hook, line and sinker. Not by you I might add. :ok:

My work here is done. :E

teeteringhead
25th May 2014, 18:20
HM's birthday was on 23rd April (same day as Shakespeare's)
Close but no cigar TTN. 21st April is current HM's Birthday (1926), the Queen Mum's was 4th August (1900) and Queen Mary's (wife of Geo V) was 26th May - tomorrow! - in 1867.

But you might be right, Shakespeare's dob is probably very approximate! :ok:

BigEndBob
25th May 2014, 19:21
Well still nice to know that flashing a UK passport in the T and C islands when seeing cutoms with piccy of Queen on the wall still counts for something as we were waved through without much fuss.

The yankee boys in their flashy Kingair that came in behind us had to fill out a dozen forms!

:ok: To the BOT.

Seeing the Queens picture on the wall made you feel at home.

tony draper
25th May 2014, 19:56
Dont our Kings and Queens have two Birthdays? like racehorses? a official one and a ere, natural one.
:)
Hmmm, right again Draper,:E
The Queen celebrates two birthdays each year: her actual birthday on 21 April and her official birthday on a Saturday in June.

con-pilot
25th May 2014, 20:33
Proper order Bob, after all, you can't buy Class

Well it is quite obvious your lot have ran out of class and money. :p

Welcome to Britain in 2014: Shameful scenes as alcohol-fuelled New Year's chaos spills out in towns and cities across Britain | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2532094/Welcome-Britain-2014-Shameful-scenes-alcohol-fuelled-New-Years-chaos-spills-towns-cities-Britain.html)

Tankertrashnav
25th May 2014, 21:48
Close but no cigar TTN. 21st April is current HM's Birthday (1926),

Oops - I should've checked HM's birthday - been posting her card late all these years!

No wonder my MBE hasn't arrived yet :(

Ascend Charlie
26th May 2014, 04:13
Yup, in the 50s Empire Day was also Cracker Night in Oz. Saved up my pennies and the occasional shilling to buy fireworks. Best value was the strings of Tom Thumbs, undo the string and set each one off with a little POP! and if it was a fizzer, break it in half and light the powder to turn it into a real fizzer.

The Penny Bungers were a good bang, and the tuppeny bungers were the size of a stick of dynamite (to us kids anyway). A skyrocket with a lethal plastic nosecone, launched from a bottle which tipped over just after we lit the blue touch paper and stood clear, would scare the snot out of everybody around the bonfire as it skidded along the ground. Pinwheels were about sixpence.

A bunger in a pipe with a marble for a projectile was a real hoot. Imaging the huggy-fluffies these days if that was even suggested. Sure, some kids somewhere would lose an eye or a finger, but we had fun, not the sanitised no-hurt activities kids do these days in their protective clothing.:suspect:

mikedreamer787
26th May 2014, 05:19
There you go Mikedreamer !

Thanks for the link Mr Nav. I don't think
I'll be rogating this or any other year. ;)

teeteringhead
26th May 2014, 11:43
Yup, in the 50s Empire Day was also Cracker Night in Oz. A good idea when you think about it for the Southern Hemisphere.

5th November would be in the Austral Spring, so evenings would (probably - haven't done the sums) be much lighter than 24th May. Young Ascend Charlie could be sent to his antipodean bed a bit (probably) earlier.

[Edited to add:]

Done the sums - depends where you are .... Varies quite a bit - isn't Oz a big country - but here are "last light" figures for the extremes. (So the further South, the earlier the May bedtime)

Darwin - 24th May - 6:50 pm 5th Nov - 7:11 pm

Hobart - 24th May - 5:20 pm 5th Nov - 8:36 pm

Ancient Observer
26th May 2014, 12:39
Just think, if it were not for the cheese-eating surrender monkeys, The USA would now be called the USE.

Hydromet
26th May 2014, 13:40
Yup, in the 50s Empire Day was also Cracker Night in Oz. Saved up my pennies and the occasional shilling to buy fireworks. Best value was the strings of Tom Thumbs, undo the string and set each one off with a little POP! and if it was a fizzer, break it in half and light the powder to turn it into a real fizzer.

The Penny Bungers were a good bang, and the tuppeny bungers were the size of a stick of dynamite (to us kids anyway). A skyrocket with a lethal plastic nosecone, launched from a bottle which tipped over just after we lit the blue touch paper and stood clear, would scare the snot out of everybody around the bonfire as it skidded along the ground. Pinwheels were about sixpence.

A bunger in a pipe with a marble for a projectile was a real hoot. Imaging the huggy-fluffies these days if that was even suggested. Sure, some kids somewhere would lose an eye or a finger, but we had fun, not the sanitised no-hurt activities kids do these days in their protective clothing.
Yep, 'twas all good fun until someone lost an eye.
You haven't mentioned the fun of throwing a penny bunger over someone's fence & running. Mate of mine did that, trouble was the 'someone' was the mother of a champion boxer, Bernie Hall, who was being visited by her son at the time. All those years of roadwork payed off, as my mate found out.
The penny bunger/marble/bike pump tube firearm worked well, especially when fired at the concrete walls of the Cooks River stormwater canal, whence it would ricochet unpredictably.

ONE GREEN AND HOPING
26th May 2014, 14:00
Just to make it clear, mention of May 24th as 'The Old Queen's Birthday' in old diaries and almanacks, referred specifically to the one who was inextricably linked to the golden years of Empire, and who died in 1901.

Just now checking a 1911 T.J.&J. Smith's 'small scribbling diary and almanack' ( actually quite large ) with a sheet of blotting paper between each page........I see Rogation Sunday 21st May followed by three Rogation days, including the 24th, and followed by Ascension Day on the 25th........so in 1911, that's two days off, and back to Church on Sunday.

MagnusP
26th May 2014, 14:11
you are part of our Empire.

And, jeez,just look who you lot elected emperor! :=

con-pilot
26th May 2014, 16:56
And, jeez,just look who you lot elected emperor!

I know, I know. :{

mikedreamer787
26th May 2014, 17:38
A skyrocket with a lethal plastic nosecone,...

Yep we launched the same through a milk
bottle too, except we modified the rocket
by tying a 2c bunger to it - thus inventing
our own flak battery of sorts.

The bunger was attached to a rocket (and
I mean those bloody humungus ones that
stood 3 feet tall with a head bigger than
ours) using a small bit of Scotch tape (we
knew we had to keep weight to a min) and
tied the bunger fuse 1/2way up the rocket's
fuse. This ensured the bunger went off at
altitude.

One could tell any rocket we launched was
struggling with its payload but we achieved
good results. Big loud nasty bangs in the sky
ensured the airspace around our house was
protected from anything wanting to drop a
lethal payload on us, like birds. I think we
nicked a sparrow once, but he crawled back
to base and didn't dive into the dirt in flames.

Alas one Guy F night one element of our flak
battery (ie one of our many milk bottles) fell
over and a rocket ended up 2 backyards away
and blew up someone's bedsheets hanging on
a clothesline. This ended our military careers. :(

500N
26th May 2014, 17:46
Guy Fawkes nights. Now they bring back some good memories :ok:

Tempsford
26th May 2014, 18:04
See you were post 18 con, typical Yank, late as usual....
Big hugs, Temps.

con-pilot
26th May 2014, 18:09
See you were post 18 con, typical Yank, late as usual....
Big hugs, Temps.

No worries, next time we promise not to be late.

We won't show up at all. :p

604guy
26th May 2014, 18:33
[went to war with you, twice, beating you twice]

Perhaps the second time at best a draw :=

War of 1812 - The Canadian Encyclopedia (http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/war-of-1812/)

As always, a matter of ones perspective :)