PDA

View Full Version : Another Drama Another Day

CharlieLimaX-Ray
24th May 2014, 00:26
See another Qantas drama brewing -shock horror life rafts to be removed from Qantas planes!

With the usual high quality journalism produced in Australia, some media outlets are quoting the Boeing B767 will have life rafts removed while others are quoting that it only applies to the long range B737 fleet while showing pictures of a B747.

I am bit worried as I have booked a flight with the big Q to travel Alice to Yulara, do I need to bring my own life raft in case the Todd River is in flood?

Seems to be a case of death by media for the big Q, bit like Ansett back in 2001!

wheels_down
24th May 2014, 04:50
Whats the issue?

Virgin only have them installed on selected 737s that fly Asia/Pac/NZ. The majority of Virgin's domestic fleet don't have them.

The only difference is that QF has had all it's 737 fleet installed while Virgin went with selected International 737s.

sms777
24th May 2014, 08:49
I have seen the Todd River swollen like the Hudson before so I would get my money back if i was you......:E

Capt Fathom
24th May 2014, 11:50
Quite a few years back, the Todd River Boat Race had to be cancelled.... the river had water in it!

Managers Perspective
24th May 2014, 12:00
Don't blame the media.

And don't blame Nick Xylophone.

Blame the stupid pilot(s) and stupid Cabin Crew that felt the need to spruik that this is a critical safety issue.

There lies the true problem.

MP

Capt Fathom
24th May 2014, 12:38
Ahh those pesky Pilots and Cabin Crew again! What would they know?
And how come the Engineers don't get a mention?

Wally Mk2
24th May 2014, 13:17
It's all about the mighty dollar, cost cutting. Save on fuel & cost to keep said rafts/Equip certified. The additional rafts are actually not needed (20.11) under most instances when flying ML-PH for Eg so out they go along with ELT's, Survival Kits, who needs them, those bloody pilots, bunch of whoosies!:):)

Wmk2

Capt Claret
24th May 2014, 15:30
Carrying life rafts on most domestic services is as silly as giving a life jacket demo on every domestic service.

Derfred
24th May 2014, 16:56
Everyone knows a 737 can glide 400NM !! What's the fuss?

Managers Perspective
24th May 2014, 17:52
Ahh those pesky Pilots and Cabin Crew again! What would they know?
And how come the Engineers don't get a mention?

This is why:
QANTAS is considering ditching life rafts from some flights to save money, South Australian Independent Senator Nick Xenophon says.

He said pilots and cabin crew had approached him, *privately expressing their dismay, and he is now calling on Qantas to abandon the “hare-brained scheme”.

Qantas aiming to save money by ditching life rafts from some flights, claims Nick Xenephon | Weekly Times Now (http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/news/qantas-aiming-to-save-money-by-ditching-life-rafts-from-some-flights-claims-nick-xenephon/story-fnkf0qeh-1226928309450)

MP

underfire
24th May 2014, 20:17
speaking of the life jacket demo...have you flown ANZ?

For the safety briefing video, they had Sports Illustrated swimsuit models in Cooke island location wearing bikinis...

Hands down best part is how to manually inflate the vest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQDip9V49U0

ruddman
25th May 2014, 03:20
speaking of the life jacket demo...have you flown ANZ?

I don't have to anymore thanks to that link. Wow. :8
I've never wanted to be a life jacket pump up tube so much in my life. :}
The flight attendant in the bikini was pretty cute too. :ok:

I don't see the problem with no rafts on domestic flights over one of the biggest desert islands in the world. Personally I'd rather see them carry several slabs of beer to drink while we wait for the rescue choppers in the middle of nowhere.

:ok:

illusion
25th May 2014, 06:03
Yummy :ok:, but I hope Qantas mainline does not produce a reply......:yuk:

NSEU
27th May 2014, 23:54
They're just playing risk management like most companies these days.

What are the odds that all the hydraulics fail on an aircraft and the aircraft ends up wandering aimlessly over water (didn't the JAL 747 fly partially overwater before it hit a mountain?)

How often does an aircraft lose both engines on final approach to Sydney and "plummet" :} into Botany Bay?

How often.... etc...

Given a choice of crashing into high rise buildings, mountains or offshore.... (ask the managers, not the pilots)

Derfred
28th May 2014, 23:38
If I recall correctly, that's just what the manufacturers of the Titanic said...