PDA

View Full Version : Type Training

dirtystinkingtoerag
23rd May 2014, 09:25
I am a licensed A&P and looking to get some maintenance training on Gulfstream or Citation aircraft in order to expand my career options. Does anyone know the cost of these courses or recommend training establishments?

JRBarrett
3rd Jun 2014, 02:43
I am a licensed A&P and looking to get some maintenance training on Gulfstream or Citation aircraft in order to expand my career options. Does anyone know the cost of these courses or recommend training establishments?

I just completed G-550 maintenance initial (4 weeks) at Flight Safety in Savannah. Outstanding training, but very expensive - i.e. $38,000. Fortunately, this was covered as part of the purchase price of a new aircraft that our company will be managing, but probably out of reach for an individual.

A more realistic option if you are looking for personal career advancement, would be Global Jet Services. http://globaljetservices.com

Their training is not as in-depth as that at Flight Safety, but still very good, and all their courses are FAA and/or EASA approved. A typical airframe maintenance initial would run 2 weeks (80 hours) and would (typically) be in the 5-to-8 thousand dollar range per student.

Our company has used Global for the Lear 45, Hawker 800 and Beech Premiere, as well as 2-year RVSM recurrent training, and we have been very satisfied. Typically, Global instructors will come directly to the client's maintenance facility to conduct the class - provided that there will be at least 3 students. Not sure though, if the instructor's per-diem expenses are invoiced on top of the basic tuition fee.

If there are not enough potential students for them to come to you, you can travel to wherever they may be conducting a class. You can check the web site referenced above to see what airframes/locations are scheduled for classes for the next several months.