PDA

View Full Version : Crop Dusting ?

cubby
19th Nov 2001, 18:06
I would be intrested in learning about Crop Dusting but know nothing about the subject .
Does anyone know where I can find out where to train and in what countries and what the pre-requirements would be and then where to work .
I know this may be difficult inlight of Sept 11th but crop dusting must still go on .

Hopefully

Cubby...... :eek:

Unwell_Raptor
19th Nov 2001, 18:10
Put the kettle on. You will be having visitors soon, methinks.

QUERY
19th Nov 2001, 18:17
NFU?

Luke SkyToddler
19th Nov 2001, 19:42
I can vouch for the fact that crop dusting is still going on a plenty in New Zealand.

It's quite a hard area to get into, more so than the airlines in some ways. As well as your CPL training, I believe you then have to do at least 100 hours of dual low flying training to get the rating put on your licence. The normal deal is that you then have to go work for a crop dusting company as a loader driver for a few years or as long as it takes for them to be needing a new pilot. Normally, this only occurs when one of the old boys retires or one of the young ones stuffs a 'plane into the ground.

Everyone I know that does it reckons it's not particularly glamourous, you're around nasty chemicals all day, flight duty time limitations are a myth when the weather's good, and it's generally bloody hard work, but some people are just born to that sort of thing I suppose ... :confused: