PDA

View Full Version : Want To Buy a Cheap Charger?

west lakes
22nd May 2014, 15:24
Well think again

BBC News - Cheap chargers putting people and homes at risk (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27515446)

it could well cost you more than buying a genuine branded version

sitigeltfel
22nd May 2014, 15:34
Its not just counterfeit chargers that are the problem. There have been a number of explosions when idiots use a genuine, but wrong charger for their electrical gizmo.
Electronic cigarettes seem to blow up regularly when people use a different charger to the one supplied.

pzu
22nd May 2014, 15:52
Recently acquired a cheap Sat Nav (with Europe maps) sans charger, went to 'The Drawer', about a dozen but non suitable and many unidentifiable!!!:ugh:

Was tempted to ditch them!!! BUT!!! I might still find a use for one!!!

Maplin came to the rescue for the Sat Nav, but the cost has effectively doubled!!! :eek:

Annoying thing is, my current Motor has European Maps but the Sat Nav is built in!!! and we are on a FlyDrive type holiday!!! :ugh:

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
22nd May 2014, 15:56
The favourite for many is leaving the charger plugged in permanently even if not charging, then the trailing lead gets a short when it touches something metal.

meadowrun
22nd May 2014, 16:10
When departing on holidays or other extended absences un-plug all your appliances, TVs, players, chargers, etc.

Right, Hands up all who do this.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
22nd May 2014, 16:17
Me, Sir!.......Oh.........Just Me, Sir!

Dushan
22nd May 2014, 16:27
Not me. I don't even bother to turn the TV off when I go out for dinner or shopping. It's the cycling that kills them.

SpringHeeledJack
22nd May 2014, 17:01
It's the cycling that kills them.

No wonder, who in their right mind could balance and peddle at the same time with all that stuff on their back ?

SHJ

OFSO
22nd May 2014, 17:20
It's the cycling that kills them.

I thought I saw one of your flatscreen TV's heading up Mt Ventoux in Team Saxobank colours last year.....

Oh sh*t, I see SpringHeeledJack has done that joke already....

Of course if anyone knows where I can get one of these, really cheap.....

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/images_zps434707a6.jpg

SawMan
22nd May 2014, 22:25
Older stuff was of robust design, they had fewer component options so they chose something they knew would always work. New stuff is designed minimally- it doesn't fare well outside of it's narrow design parameters and since 'smaller is better' thinking has taken over, larger and more robust has given way. So when you use anything other than factory cghargers, you're taking a chance. Not to mention that most aftermarket chargers are coming frnm a place known for abysmal QC.

But sometimes you win. I had a radio charger that died (one of the proprietary IC's fried) so no out-of-factory repair. Wanting to use the radio, I removed the battery and wired in a wall-wart from the junk box that seemed like it would do to the charging terminals- DC voltage and current rating seemed about right for this battery. The first fried- too small. The second one just happened to be a perfect match for what that battery needs; just enough voltage and current to charge fully no matter how long it's left on and just heavy enough to not fry like the first one did. Battery does not overheat\ or over/under charge and all is well. Should the battery short, the wall-wart will fry ending the scenario safely. I am going to get a proper charger when I get around to it.

I should have bought a lottery ticket that day too!

Lantern10
22nd May 2014, 22:56
The favourite for many is leaving the charger plugged in permanently even if not charging,

And most consuming around 5 Watts in the process.:ugh:

Mechta
22nd May 2014, 23:59
Ofso, my thought as well, although it was a flying one I had in mind, like this:

http://wonderingbrit.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/generallee.jpg

Or was it this?:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5d/Convair_Model_48_Charger.jpg/300px-Convair_Model_48_Charger.jpg

Or this?:

http://www.airwar.ru/image/i/aliner/tu144-i.jpg

ExSp33db1rd
23rd May 2014, 00:38
........It's the cycling that kills them. Usual story, ask two people and get 5 answers !

I would have agreed with the "leave it on" principle until recently, but having had problems with my Freeview TV Satellite decoder connecting to the TV set when we re-started the TV set, I eventually rang the distributor, who reckoned that it was the "handshake" between the decoder and the TV monitor that was causing the problem, then suggested that we always switch off the "signal" and leave both the TV and the decoder powered down to "standby", then bring the TV back up to full power before re-engaging the decoder, so we do that now and have had no repetition of the problem.

I guess switching down to "standby" isn't quite the same as recycling the power on and off ? or maybe the distributor could see a future new sale to me if I followed his instructions, and wore the things out more quickly ?
(Paranoid ? Moi ? )

Turn off when going away ? Yes, but then having had too many gadgets ruined by our local electricity supply company, by sending high voltage down the line in surges when they reconnect after our numerous power failures at the end of a long rural line, we always pull the plugs out of the wall whenever the power goes out ( frequently - this is New Zealand ) so it is hardly an issue now when we go away. And yes, I we do use UPS and Power Surge boards - but nevertheless, you canna be toooo carrrreful.

meadowrun
23rd May 2014, 01:40
I remember the most awful example of leaving something on from a couple of years ago.

A bloke was determined to watch all of the world cup (or somesuch) and planted himself in front of the TV and watched for days. One day, he had fallen asleep in front of it and it caught fire. The house then caught fire. He caught fire. He died. House was destroyed.

lomapaseo
23rd May 2014, 01:46
Cheap ??

my son-in-laws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0r5peWlYp0

500N
23rd May 2014, 01:50
Impressive.

I always admire the cars kept in that type of condition by collectors.

I don't have the attention to detail.

chevvron
23rd May 2014, 02:37
Preferred the '69 Charger with the 427 hemi myself. There was one owned by a US airman stationed at Upper Heyford used to drag race at Santa Pod. Easy 13 sec runs. Awesome.

david1300
23rd May 2014, 04:25
What another load of scare mongering := The cause of the fire isn't even confirmed and some (possibly self-professed) expert starts crying wolf. There are too many words in the world if they can be wasted on this drivel.

acbus1
23rd May 2014, 07:36
A bloke was determined to watch all of the world cup (or somesuch) and planted himself in front of the TV and watched for days. One day, he had fallen asleep in front of it and it caught fire. The house then caught fire. He caught fire. He died. House was destroyed.
Jees, that really is a tragic story.

There surely can't be anything worse than missing the end of football competition.

Lon More
23rd May 2014, 07:47
cheap chargers? The Light Brigade might buy some

arcniz
24th May 2014, 11:48
Two phenomena will increasingly add to confusion about power sources and batteries as the future unrolls self:

a) Elaborate management & control strategies will increasingly be embedded in the designs for even quite common everyday components and systems, because the added complexity typically results in products that are more capable, last longer, and operate more efficiently.

b)No two companies will use the exact same design technology or details as its competitors, unless required by government or industry standards (that typically emerge decades into the technology's evolution).

Batteries and power supplies are emerging as the most prominent category of similar-looking but wildly incompatible devices, when combined willy-nilly across manufacturers and types.

The highest-performing batteries of the future may actually be "educated" in deliberate ways as part of their manufacturing, thus requiring chargers that "know" the appropriate curriculum.

Mr Optimistic
24th May 2014, 12:53
Hang on, what's the point of lecturing about leaving chargers connected or stuff on stand-by if you then buy a dishwasher and tumble drier? Comet used to sell universal chargers so bought one for a radio (nearly said transistor radio but the words stayed in my head fortunately). Bloody thing generated so much emi it washed out the radio. Comet dismissed my entirely reasonable complaint out of hand). So much for standards.....

cattletruck
24th May 2014, 13:02
It gets even worse Mr arcniz, I once had an old mobile phone where the replacement charger was rejected by the phone. After a bit of exploratory surgery on the phone and the docking unit, it turns out the manufacturer had done this deliberately. Luckily I managed to salvage the old charger.