PDA

View Full Version : Does an older BMW represent value?

Fliegenmong
22nd May 2014, 13:21
Now I'm not talking antique here, but rather, well, right now I have 2 in the driveway, the neighbour crossed the road to address me as 'Fleet Manager' last week! (Ha ha!)....

Now I must stress at this point that I am not a traditionally 'car' type person, in fact I hate cars for the running costs, breakdown costs, petrol taxes, (In Oz taxes on top of taxes), insane insurance costs, criminal registration costs......but in a country so woefully bereft of adequate public transport, a car is a necessity......cant get around that...

Jnr Fliegs will in a few months months be in possession of a 'P' licence, and will, as such, require a car.

Now I have my aging Camry Wagon, 4cyl, cheapish to run, insure, register etc., but all the practicality of a wagon, and it has a tow bar, and a plug in thing for the trailer so I can haul the tinny around in it! :ok: All good there!

Back to the 2 BMWs., Mrs Fliegs has been driving around in an E36 model for a good while, probably not worth much nowadays at all., but it really drives well, gets up and goes, especially beyond 80kph., and will take a corner faster than I will ever dare.....at close to 15/16 yrs old, it is a very sure footed well balanced car...but we needed another :{:{:{

Mrs Fliegs upgrades to an E46, found an immaculate example with just 75k on the clock for a song......now that car really really flies (Despite its age) and it is leather seats with real wood trim !! Why people pay twice as much for Korean plastic just because it is brand new escapes me!

So apart (touch wood) from anything too major (Blown head gasket, fried computers, ABS inop etc.) These two cars, whilst older, drive magnificently well, potentially gather speed tickets with reckless abandon, and are worth more to me (us) kept than sold.....did I mention they both still drive sooo very well!!

Do they represent value? I'd say yes, at least in our circumstance they do!! They most certainly do!

And I still have the Camry to tow stuff around in, the tinny etc....

Glutton for punishment? Privately owning 3 Cars in Australia!!

Anyways......why we love our two little 3 series, and NO we won't be getting HIS & HERS plates!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C86SNhNhhXI

Fliegenmong
22nd May 2014, 13:34
And a clever ad.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMLjMTOs-Ok

With which I would agree I guess....

thegypsy
22nd May 2014, 13:58
I have a 60 Reg BMW 318i 22k mileage Petrol Automatic 4 door Saloon full BMW Service History with every conceivable extra on it as follows.

Xenon/LED, Electric Sunroof,Full Leather, Heated front Electric Seats, F & R parking Aids, Business Professional Sat Nav, 7 Speaker Karmon Logic Stereo/DAB/AM/FM Radio/CD. Metallic Space Grey, New Tyres. It will be for sale End August London area. As new!! Non Smoker.

PS Yes it does represent good value as 30,000 new and will sell for 12k ono

BenThere
22nd May 2014, 14:01
We have two Chevrolets and a Mercedes in our family fleet.

The total family auto maintenance budget is about 75% committed to keeping the Mercedes running. Also the vehicle registration fee for the Mercedes is triple that of the Chevys. The insurance cost ratio is comparable.

While I feel a bit prouder driving around in the Mercedes, the cost of operation is substantially more.

When a headlight or muffler goes out on the Chevy, it's going to cost me $100. When they go out on the Mercedes it's going to be $500-1000. You can't just buy a bulb, the whole assembly must be replaced.

I prefer the more pedestrian Chevy. I work for my money and don't like to throw it away.

On the other hand, if you buy a ten year old Mercedes or similar, the cost curve becomes more comparable to a new Chevy, Kia, Toyota or the like in terms of total cost of operation.

Fliegenmong
22nd May 2014, 14:11
I work for my money and don't like to throw it away.

Don't I know it!!

Had experiences with Mercs where the ride is wonderfully soft, the gadgetry amazing......the driving experience...somewhat wanting in terms of handling....I well remember a few Mercs going in a straight line after turning the wheel...whewreas my BMWs have been flawless.....lucky perhaps!

Dushan
22nd May 2014, 14:37
They are worth nothing, after a certain age. A friend of mine is selling his. Original showroom price was $120,000. He'll be lucky to get $5,000.

2001 BMW 7-Series 740i Sedan SteelBlue Metallic | cars & trucks | Kitchener / Waterloo | Kijiji (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/kitchener-waterloo/2001-bmw-7-series-740i-sedan-steelblue-metallic/594179634?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true)

As BenThere said they cost a fortune to maintain, but hey, they sure are fun to drive.

OFSO
22nd May 2014, 15:17
A member of my family just sold his 6-series convertible, which - with Herr Diesel's invention under the hood/bonnet to propel it - in the largest and more powerful version - was "the best car I have ever had". (Quote).

But value ? It's like a U curve. You buy it new with the price at the top of the left hand arm, sell it at the bottom - and many years later mutter "if only I had kept it" - because the price is back at the top of the right hand arm.

BenThere
22nd May 2014, 15:34
Funny thing, though, is that when they're worth nothing they become a bargain.

I bought an 8 year old Porsche 911 Targa back in the early 90's. I put 180,000 miles on it, had enormous fun with it, and sold it for $5,000 less than I paid. That was the best value I've ever gotten in a car.

Nice thing about Porsche is the commonality with a lot of VW parts. My biggest cost was the 10 quart oil changes I did every 3K, and the bi-annual $300 valve adjustments. Outside of that I had no repair or maintenance expense, other than routine wear and tear, whatsoever. The thing was built to last.

rotornut
22nd May 2014, 15:34
My friend just sold his 2004 X3 with 250,000 km. for $5500. He paid well over $70,000 for it.

er340790
22nd May 2014, 15:55
The issue with Beemers is that "they were not built to stand around". Consequently many have accumulated hard use/abuse, the costs of which can hit subsequent owners hard. The motto is buy only if you are SURE it has had a gentle life.

Generally Benzes are more used to wafting around and can be a safer bet for the longer-term. My 1999 and 2001 ML320s are still racking up the miles with little more than reg oil changes and tyres. :ok:

seafire6b
22nd May 2014, 16:26
Sorry to muddy the Beamer waters, but I've just sold my 2003 Lexus IS200 - bought it for 18k in June 2004, sold it last month for 2700. After the warranty expired I just had it serviced every couple(?) of years by a "bloke round the corner".
It always started first time and never had a mechanical failure of any description. After 11 years of Scottish weather, there were only very slight signs of corrosion and, to the annual frustration of the Kwik-Fit guys who MoT'd it, the original factory-fitted exhaust/silencer system was still intact and perfectly serviceable - after 78,000 miles!

Recently bought - wait for it... - another Lexus, a 2013 GS350L - now there's a car with toys for the boys!

Wingswinger
22nd May 2014, 20:45
the original factory-fitted exhaust/silencer system was still intact and perfectly serviceable - after 78,000 miles!

That's nuthin'! I had a new '99 Volvo V70 until just under 5 years ago. I did 248,000 miles in it in 11 years and it still had the original exhaust/silencer intact when I retired it. At a mean 28 mpg it was beginning to get a tad expensive to fill up.

I've been running an '09 Beamer 520d Touring these past four years. I like the 50+mpg fuel economy. I don't like the 170 run-flat tyres which the rear-wheel drive eats. It's less comfortable than the old V70. On the other hand, after 200k miles I've so far only had to change the front brake pads. However, on balance I'd like my V70 back with a 50+mpg diesel engine.

G-CPTN
22nd May 2014, 21:00
on balance I'd like my V70 back with a 50+mpg diesel engine.Probably possible.

I've got a V50 which exceeds 50mpg overall, however I'd still like to have my old Peugeot GLXHDi back (with the reliability of a new car).

brickhistory
22nd May 2014, 21:08
I hope so.

I gave myself a new 328 as a retirement from military service gift. First 'nice' car I've had, previously, it had been bare-bones pick-ups, minivans, and other family-type vehicles. Even this one is stripped down with no upgrades. Fun to drive!

I plan to drive this one until the wheels fall off. 6 years and 74K miles so far. Hope to at least double the years if not more. If I do, then I will consider that I got my money's worth out of it.

For our former 911 driver, nice. I simply won't fit in anything that cool, hence the pick-ups as a vehicle history.

For the retiring 750iL, vale.

For the Volvo, a pox on them. My wife had an S80 which found electricity to be a foreign concept and refused to have anything to do with it, thus lights, windows, or even turning over to begin with, was a daily adventure. Best car ever to say 'good riddance.'

Dushan
22nd May 2014, 21:39
Brick, my 740iL is approaching its 14th year. Running pretty good for its age. I intend to keep it for a while. Not without any problems but things have to be changed and maintained, periodically. I do a lot of stuff myself so it is a bit cheaper. The trick is to not go to the BMW stealer and know independents that deal with specific stuff. I might have to overhaul the transmission but still a lot cheaper than getting a new (used) car.

My last 7 was a 1985 735i and it lasted 23 years. the only reason it went to the scrap yard is because I gave it to my son who neglected it in the last few years of its life. If I kept it it would still be running.

BenThere
22nd May 2014, 21:52
I think you can justify an exquisite car if it is only you driving it, you love it and maintain it like you love it, and you want to live a long time with it.

I found that oneness both with my 911 and my Harley Ultra Classic. Don't have the same kismet with my Chevys. They're mere tools.

500N
22nd May 2014, 21:58
"I plan to drive this one until the wheels fall off. 6 years and 74K miles so far. Hope to at least double the years if not more."

A good, solid car to start with, well maintained will last many years
and many hundreds of thousands of kms.

The problem I see is with the engine management systems and components
that are just not built to last like they used to.

Nervous SLF
22nd May 2014, 22:32
Re modern cars-if the dealers computer when plugged into the car doesn't show a fault code then they are
just as helpless as the man in the street at diagnosing an intermittent fault.

Smeagol
22nd May 2014, 22:36
Like Flieg I have two BMWs currently; mine an e38, 2001 vintage 728 and Mrs S a 1999, e39 530.

I have owned the 728 for a tad over 5 years and put 100,000 miles on it so it is now reading almost 172,000. Apart from tyres and servicing it has needed only a few repairs (ABS pre-charge pump (twice), front suspension replacement to cure the 55mph shimmy and recently a new radiator) costing a few hundred pounds in total. Best and most reliable car I have ever owned, not to mention the most comfortable, and will be sorry when it has to go.
I bought it for 5k and whilst it is now worth less than 1k the depreciation is minor compared with a new car.

The e39 has been with us for over 3 years and only gets driven close to home by SWMBO with the occasional longer run out by myself (when I fancy a bit of a 'play' as it does shift when given a bit of right welly! Again on the repair front only servicing, tyres and a few hundred pounds in repairs.
Cost 4k and we get another couple of years out of it and sell it for peanuts it will still have been cheap motoring but with a great degree of luxury.

Both petrol (gasoline) engines so, unfortunately, fuel costs are not insignificant any more.

I think both cars are the last of a kind in the though there was a significant amount of electronic controls they were both pre the era of emission control madness which has added complexity and made cars have a design life of less than 10 years with any significant failures being very expensive (and often main dealer only which trebles the labour cost).

SawMan
22nd May 2014, 23:08
Beemers gained a reputation for greatness back in the days when maintenance was frequent and necessary. You had a log book with each one and service was do9ne only by approved techs or it didn't count. The services were intensive, like changing differential lube every few years, flushing the brakje hydraulics completely every two- heck, if you went that nuts on maintaining a Chevy it would have lasted just as long! They were and are well-engineered but so are a lot of cars these days. It's more a name now, like any other, but also above the average while relatively new. Once it gets old things change....

Old non-electronic cars could be driven till they rusted apart for a song in price, so long as you did the maintenance and repairs yourself which wasn't that hard to do. They held a 'lower shelf' of value at all times so long as they were a drivable car- essentially forever.

Newer cars with Fuel Injection and electronic ignition varied- the good ones were great; the bad ones awful. You coulpd do the mechanoical work yourself but it was usually a shop for the injection-electronic stuff. Prices varied based on it being a good or bad one- the good ones hit a lower shelf and never went lower as a drivable car; the bad ones can't be given away.

New cars with computer everything are a nightmare tio repair, so when they get old the assumption ios that upcoming repairs are going to be so high they aren't worth anything. The assumption is mostly true after age removes the source of after-market replacement parts- say 10-15 years. Past that point it's dealer parts and prices only; in other words it's scrap metal because it will cost more to fix than it's worth.

Old cars were built to last- minimal use of plastics and those were made to beyond minimum standards. Weight wasn't a big concern which allowed that. Parts were taken from existing designs where possible to keep build costs down. Maybe not the best design possible but always good enough. New cars are mostly plastic, designed to be minimal and best design is a selling point now, be it performance or economy. You can't use that existing part; it will compromise the rest of the design and kill your market potential.

And it doesn't matter whose name badge is on it- this happens with all of them now (Well maybe not a Rolls, but the rest). Fast forward to 30+ years old and certain models may become collectible (and priced accordingly) but most won't. If you think you've got one of those, consider this: Is it currently popular, and why? What does it have that the others don't? For that is what will make it collectible. And few cars from the lower end of the line-up become collectible; it's mostly the already-rare top-end models unless something else is going for it (performance, styling, last of a desirable model).

The common cars won't become collectible again as they once did because of a lack of parts to keep them running. Nothing interchanges electronically so if a model has a generic failure problem, all the needed parts will be gone and non-running cars will be worthless, with running cars only a little above that level. It ain't like the old days when a Pontiac part fit a Chevy too; nothing is adaptable at all now unless you're a computer engineer with scads of time and money to waste.

Maybe now you will understand how the cheap cars have made such an inroad into the markets, for they are the better choice for most folks. Only those seeking panache and popularity who can trade for new every few years are better served with better cars. My Ford van is over 30, my Buick car 20. Both have had a rough life but are never going to be worth less than they are now; the van about 20% of it's original cost and the car about 10%. Their value has already been paid for many times over in their value as transportation. Beemers from the same timeframe don't do any better percentage-wise, save for certain top-end high performance models in perfect condition.

So to close my too-long reply, just drive the Beemers as long as you're happy to do that, and when the day comes to see them go know that you are the one who got the best value out of them which is about all you can do.

reynoldsno1
23rd May 2014, 00:07
I have a 1997 Nissan Pulsar that has still got the original exhaust, and the original battery was only replaced last year. Had a front suspension strut replaced two years ago - cost 30 quid. No rust, but the timing chain has to be replaced at 360,000km ....

BenThere
23rd May 2014, 00:23
reynoldsno1,

You have mastered the art of efficient transport. You weren't cushy, but you got the job done.

Worrals in the wilds
23rd May 2014, 00:57
The problem I see is with the engine management systems and components that are just not built to last like they used to. Isn't that the truth :rolleyes:. My mid 2000s era car has a few miles on it now and there's nothing wrong with the engine or other important bits, but the computer's starting to play up like a second hand lawnmower.

It really annoys me, because it's a nice car and there's nothing actually wrong with it, but once the computer decides there's a problem then all hell breaks loose, even though the problem has generally been imagined by the computer. :ugh:
I think it's related to the HAL 9000 and it's secretly trying to kill me.

ExSp33db1rd
23rd May 2014, 01:49
........but the computer's starting to play up like a second hand lawnmower. WTF do we need computers in cars ? Wish I could have my dad's 1935 Morris 8 back again ! ( it would be worth a bob or two, as well ! ) For a start, the ignition key was just a flat bit of metal, no 'teeth' whatsoever, could cobble up a new one in a few minutes when lost, and even a paper clip would suffice in an emergency,by comparison my present all singing, all dancing, "key" will cost me some $450.oo if I lose it.

I don't need to lock or unlock the car remotely, wot's wrong with putting the key in the door and turning the f*****g key ?

World's Gone Mad.

P.s. Re-the thread ! Nicest car I ever owned and would like again, was a 1974 BMW 2000 Touring ( hatchback ). First car I experienced with a split rear seat back, could lay the golf clubs fore and aft alongside the rear seat passenger ! It was also capable of 140 mph along the M3 one day, when I was late for work ! (didn't get caught, won one ) Should have exported it to NZ.

tdracer
23rd May 2014, 04:28
WTF do we need computers in cars ?Niceties such as GPS and remote door locking aside, it's about fuel efficiency. I know more than I really want about carburetors - and they SUCK! Electronic fuel injection - even the most basic system - is SO superior to the best mechanical system as to be apples and oranges. As in 50% to twice the power AND 50% to twice the gas mileage...

Good used cars can be a tremendous economy. The problem will always be figuring what has been 'well loved' and 'abused'.
I went a long time as a BMW hater, but when shopping for my "last" new car, the BMW 3 series fit the bill. So I drove one (a 2007 328xi). I'd narrowed the list to four cars, the BMW was the best in only one category - how it drove. Which happened to be the most important (the 'racer' in my handle isn't just a handle). My BMW is a 2007 (E90), relatively low mileage (~40k miles), and I love it. The biggest mechanical fault (so far) has been a burned out turn signal bulb. I had screwy tires on it for the last year which diminished the experience - I'd ruined a tire in the middle of nowhere a year ago and hence had sub-par tires on one end until I replaced the whole ship-set last month. With the new tires (Bridgestone RE960 Pole Position Run-Flat), I fell in love all over again.

I like to buy my cars new, just so I know how they've been taken care of from day-one. The family currently has 4 vehicles - for two drivers - but it's what I want and they are all paid for. I have a Honda S2000 that I picked up as a low mileage bank repo (3k miles). Although I don't drive it much (it currently has ~50k miles), it's a joy to drive, it's been remarkably economical (no non-warranty repairs), I got a good deal on on it as a repo, and it all but stopped depreciating about 5 years ago (currently worth ~65% of what I paid for it 13 years ago).

While things always change, at this point in time I have no plans to replace any of the current cars. While I haven't driven one of the new BMW 3 series, everything I've read says the only real advantage of the new BMW vs. the E90 is gas mileage, and the $20k+ difference in price will pay for a whole lotta gas. There is nothing out there that really competes with the S2000 (which is why it's holding it's value). Baring something catastrophic, it's not hard for me to believe I'll never buy another car - new or used.

ArthurR
23rd May 2014, 04:46
This is what they go for here...Germany

Bmw Angebote bei mobile.de (http://suchen.mobile.de/auto/bmw.html?isSearchRequest=true&lang=de&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&makeModelVariant1.makeId=3500)

ChrisVJ
23rd May 2014, 07:38
We have always been a "Buy them 'nearly new' and run them till they die family although we have had a couple of new cars (and ran them till they died.)

However three and a half years ago Mrs CD bought a brand new Honda Civic Coupe. Since it was Zero percent interest and nothing off for cash she paid about $6K and rest at about $280/month. She also bought five year warranty etc, etc.

Last month the dealership called and asked if she'd like to trade for a new one. Well 'No' of course not, but she couldn't help going and having a look.

Result. Mrs VJ has a new Civic Coupe. Payments are a few bucks lower (but extended, of course,) Didn't buy extra warranty because if she's trading every three years she doesn't need it. Car does about 20% more per litre. Borrowed it to drive 70kms and back tonight. It is delicious.

Why am I still driving a 2000 Yukon?

chuks
23rd May 2014, 07:56
I bought a used BMW 330Ci in 2007 from a BMW dealer, a 2002 model, to replace a 1994 BMW 325Ci we had bought new. The 330Ci has been absolutely trouble-free and great fun to drive. The only thing is, it's a bit loud at high speed because of the frameless windows.

We sold the 325Ci to the son of some family friends, and at last report it was still going strong.

We bought a used 330D Touring X-Drive, a 2012 model, in mid-2013. That one was a "Premium Used Car" that came with a factory guarantee, and a year's free breakdown cover. It had less than 13 thousand km. on the clock; it was originally owned by the factory; it was as close to perfect (one tiny nick in the paint) as one could ask for. We saved about 35% of the new price and got a car that was very, very close to the spec I would have ordered anyway.

The Touring replaced a VW Passat that I had bought new, a VR5 Kombi (estate) with AWD. That car finally succumbed to the wife having driven it almost all the way home after the drive belt for the water pump had failed, pretty much boiling it dry. It survived that but was never the same afterwards, until finally the camshaft went.

The thing was, a replacement Passat would be not that much cheaper than a BMW 3-series, since the Passat is more the equivalent of the BMW 5-series, while VW spares prices were often a bad joke. (The final blow was VW asking 1200 euros for an exhaust system, in addition to the cost of repairs to the valve train, altogether more than the car was worth.)

When you jump back and forth from a BMW 330Ci to a Passat then you really notice the cheapness of a VW, even one with a high spec, because all sorts of little details are overlooked on a VW.

The most annoying detail was the design of the little reset thingies on the instrument cluster for the VW; they allowed dust to enter and accumulate inside the cluster in two little heaps left and right, as if someone at VW just did not care to think ahead and put some goddam rubber grommets in there, two cents each.

This new BMW is really something! It has 245 horsepower and some crazy amount of torque run through the basic 6-speed automatic gearbox, plus this X-Drive system that splits the torque to enhance the steering. (It's all done with Torsen differentials and a computer: witchcraft!) Even with AWD the car still gives an average of 7.5 liters/ 100 km. fuel consumption, and diesel is much cheaper than petrol here in Germany. On the other hand, the road tax is higher on the diesel, even though the car meets the Euro 5 emissions norms.

cattletruck
23rd May 2014, 12:27
Expensive luxury cars are like fine dining. It costs the Earth, you enjoy it immensely (most of the time), and as time goes by all you're left with are fond memories and a pile of sh!t.

I am very lucky I don't possess the car gene and all I require is a car that is reliable to be content. That doesn't mean I'm happy with owning the ugliest thing on the block, just my idea of value is a little more boring than others and I accept that.

As for handling, performance, etc, etc, almost all cars built for domestic use have significant compromises in all these areas to make them 'user friendly'. For example, not only would it be silly spending 20 minutes warming up racing brake pads, it would also be dangerous unless you changed your driving habits until they started working i.e drive slow.

ExSp33db1rd
23rd May 2014, 23:10
I know more than I really want about carburetors - and they SUCK! Electronic fuel injection

Before the BMW 2002 Hatchback, I had the 2002 Saloon - fuel injected. 2002 Ti or something ?

I guess mechanical fuel injection is no match for electronic stuff, but I'll live with that, don't need GPS, I'll buy a map, tho' it's sometime since I had to use a sextant, and Central Locking means sitting in the drivers' seat and pushing down all the door buttons by hand !

I'll concentrate on trying to drive properly, like not braking on every corner, even going uphill, and using the correct indicators on roundabouts, and manually dipping my headlights when others approach, instead of having my eyes glued to some computer readout, to worry about whether I'm using a litre of petrol too much for the speed I'm doing, or what me average speed has been since I last started the enging - and probably texting my mate to tell him, as well !

Dushan
24th May 2014, 04:41
ExS, no posting on Facebook about the guy that just cut you off? Or was that you cutting him off? :p

Fliegenmong
24th May 2014, 08:03
I am very lucky I don't possess the car gene and all I require is a car that is reliable to be content

Yes, I never considered myself a person with the car gene, not at all, but these two rockets in the driveway, well they just make you want to go out and have a drive, up to the hills, down the motor way......they kinda changed me a bit.. perhaps, I've spent years puttering around in little old things that wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, so to drive something that will go around a corner far faster than I would ever dare, and just keeps getting faster and faster with the pedal no where near the floor is something of a novelty perhaps! :O

robtheblade
24th May 2014, 10:38
Interesting thread 'cos just been offered an eighteen year old 320 for 2k. It has done 14k miles, fsh and been kept in a heated garage.

Will I be wasting my money or should I go for it??

ExSp33db1rd
24th May 2014, 10:44
Yes, I might cut him off, but I won't be posting same on Farcebook - haven't joined that Club and don't intend to, what's the point, I'm not so insecure that I need adoration from so called "friends" all the time.

thegypsy
24th May 2014, 13:03
robtheblade

Never buy a car that old that has been garaged despite its so called heated one.

Far better to buy mine and save in the long run:eek:

cockney steve
24th May 2014, 16:13
At 14 K it's not even been run in yet!
beware hidden body-rot unless it's truly a "never been out in the wet or winter salt " example....in which case, snatch their hand off.......
how the hell else would you get a luxury car with such little wear, for so little money?
hot-wash the underside, treat all seams, brakepipes, sills and box-sections with a good coat of Waxoyl, mixed with 10% to 20% gear-or transmission oil, (used is fine, a trans. specialist will sell you a gallon of "waste" for buttons) the oil stops the waxoyl drying and cracking.
car will last you out.

cockney steve
24th May 2014, 16:23
Currently fettling a 528I Touring. silky straight 6, loads of toys , towbar, only pulled a trailer tent....so far, new rear discs and parking-brake shoes. 4 new tyres, some welding needed to rear jacking-points and ABS light to sort out.....needs a MOT but taxed till end of july...total inc. purchase, under 500 so far.:) paid less for it than it would have drawn at the weighbridge....(and scrappys charge you to get rid of tyres if you leave them!!!! ) A super luxury cruiser , destined for eldest son who only does ~a 3-mile commute and fancied a bit of "flash"...thirsty, but he does few miles...no depreciation, maintenance courtesy of dad, so tax, insurance and fuel....cheaper and more convenient than Public Transport!

Metro man
25th May 2014, 08:05
Drive an average cheap to run car and join a club such as this.

Classic Car Club | Classic Car Club the flexible alternative to rental and hire (http://www.classiccarclub.co.uk/home.asp)

Enjoy a variety of specialist cars for a fixed rate with no ownership headaches.

crippen
25th May 2014, 11:29
Grandson in U.K. is running around in Classic Old Mini. He is 17 ,but as it is a classic car his insurance is seriously cheap. :ok:

RedhillPhil
25th May 2014, 11:46
Currently fettling a 528I Touring. silky straight 6, loads of toys , towbar, only pulled a trailer tent....so far, new rear discs and parking-brake shoes. 4 new tyres, some welding needed to rear jacking-points and ABS light to sort out.....needs a MOT but taxed till end of july...total inc. purchase, under 500 so far.:) paid less for it than it would have drawn at the weighbridge....(and scrappys charge you to get rid of tyres if you leave them!!!! ) A super luxury cruiser , destined for eldest son who only does ~a 3-mile commute and fancied a bit of "flash"...thirsty, but he does few miles...no depreciation, maintenance courtesy of dad, so tax, insurance and fuel....cheaper and more convenient than Public Transport!

Circa 3 mile commute in that car will soon have you paying bills for it. 2.8 litre straight six is designed for high speed cruising not puttering around. Number one son had a 525 with the same thoughts but got shot of it as the bills started to mount and the MOT emission tests got more near the mark. The depreciation will zero but the maintenance bills won't.