PDA

View Full Version : Police inform man that he is dead

rotornut
21st May 2014, 15:32
Austrian Relieved To Only be Dead On Paper - General News - Salzburg Times Online News - English Newspaper (http://www.salzburgtimes.at/news/General_News/2014-03-09/26894/Austrian_Relieved_To_Only_be_Dead_On_Paper)

er340790
21st May 2014, 17:05
Joking apart, it is actually a MASSIVE TASK to gets oneself re-registered as alive once an Official Death Certificate has been issued.

And legally, if one were to run around committing crimes after receiving such a Death Certificate, I'm not sure the Law would allow the criminal prosecution of a dead person to proceed.

There's a thought......! :}

Rosevidney1
21st May 2014, 21:37
But the tax man wouldn't so easily be put off!

Exascot
22nd May 2014, 07:43
To be pedantic he was listed as missing not dead. They have yet to find the jet. Goodness knows what will happen regarding the status of the passengers if they don't.

papabravowhiskey
22nd May 2014, 08:43
I note that the photo accompanying the article is of a 380 rather than the 777. Not much checking goes on these days ...

PBW

alisoncc
22nd May 2014, 10:05
I have a number of acquaintances who have the appearance of being dead, but suspect no one has ever told them. If no one ever tells you how would you know?

In Australia the Govt are considering raising the retirement age to seventy to reduce the financial outlay of age pensions. The statistics indicate a significant number of recipients are over one hundred and fifty years old. They are most probably dead but as no one has told them, the Govt continues to pay their pensions.

I would suggest that dead people who are not aware that they are will be an increasing problem in years to come. It needs to be resolved now.

;)

acbus1
22nd May 2014, 14:25
...the photo accompanying the article is of a 380 rather than the 777.
Might explain why they can't find it. :uhoh:

G-CPTN
22nd May 2014, 14:38
They have yet to find the jet. Goodness knows what will happen regarding the status of the passengers if they don't.Isn't there a 7 year 'cooling off period' after which a missing person can be officially declared as dead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declared_death_in_absentia#England_and_Wales

angels
22nd May 2014, 17:56
Perhaps this a little insensitive, so apologies for this, but there's a fascinating point here. As G-CPTN says you can be declared dead after seven years -- in England. In Italy its 20 years I believe (my wife lived there and there was a local case of this).

So what about all the countries whose nationals were on board the MH flight?
I bet with the amount of Chinese involved there were a few dual nationalities as well.

Does a Malay court rule they're all dead? Would that make a difference? Think of all the life insurance policies, wills, property etc involved here, not to mention what the families must feel.

G-CPTN
22nd May 2014, 18:03
If you read the text of the Wiki article, the period depends on where the supposed death occurred . . .

The requirements for declaring an individual legally dead may vary depending on numerous details including the following:

The jurisdiction the individual lived in before death
The jurisdiction where they are presumed to have died

What if the incident happened 'nowhere' - ie in International waters or unknown location.

angels
22nd May 2014, 18:12
The reason a I mentioned a Malay court is that I assumed a) the deaths have occurred in international waters unless proved otherwise and b) Malay law would apply to an MH flight.

My guess is there must be many maritime examples of mysterious disappearances and the courts will take their lead from these.