PDA

View Full Version : Will Smith's daughters photo - over reaction by people ???

500N
21st May 2014, 07:24
Have a look at this article and photo of his daughter.
Is this a total over reaction by people as the mother says ?
I think yes, especially since the parents knew about it.

"Not long after it was posted, Jada Pinkett Smith lashed out at waiting paparazzi who asked her about the controversial photograph.

''Here’s the deal,'' Pinkett Smith said at Los Angeles Airport on May 7.

''There was nothing sexual about that picture or that situation.
You guys are projecting your trash onto it. You’re acting like covert paedophiles and that’s not cool.''

Read more: Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith under investigation by child services: reports (http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/celebrity/ls-celebrity-news/will-smith-and-jada-pinkett-smith-under-investigation-by-child-services-reports-20140521-zrjjc.html#ixzz32KRPZ1yg)"

Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith under investigation by child services: reports (http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/celebrity/ls-celebrity-news/will-smith-and-jada-pinkett-smith-under-investigation-by-child-services-reports-20140521-zrjjc.html)

Lonewolf_50
21st May 2014, 13:42
Personally, I don't get the outrage over the photo. Nothing about it that looks out of order. How is a picture of two show biz people who are friends, out of order? Males not wearing a shirt is not quite the taboo that females not wearing a shirt is.

Has this country turned into a load of Peeping Tom prudes?

The Vanity Fair photo spread a few years ago, of a fifteen year old Miley Cyrus (exploitation to the max) included a few shots with her dad that were far more disturbing than this B & W shot of two showbiz types who know each other.

Did Cyrus and his wife get their parenting skills looked into by the cops? Hmmmmmmm.

I don't get it. Are the Smiths being singled out due to being too famous, too high in melanin content, or too something else? I'd say Ms Smith's counter attack is well justified.

chuks
21st May 2014, 13:55
It might be a reaction in part to the way that Ms. Cyrus seems to have gone off the rails, along with that young Canadian, Mr. Beaver. This might be a reasonable assumption, that Child Services should intervene a bit earlier when warning signs of bad behavior appear. Hands up, anyone who would enjoy seeing their 13 year-old child in bed with a semi-clad dude, an adult? Anyone? No?

Part of this is the way that lines have been re-drawn by such as Madonna. What is now almost normal would have seen people shunned not so long ago, and she did a lot of re-drawing, in her own interest.

Jerry Lee Lewis married his cousin, who was only 13, when that was acceptable, straight behavior way back in the hills where they were from, yet the outcry over that was pretty loud. So look at what today's pop stars have to do even to get noticed: shoot up a night club; promote all sorts of aberrant sexualities on-stage; abuse drugs --- that goes without saying --- dropping dead of some sort of overdose is a good career move ..... Anything goes, really.

Lonewolf_50
21st May 2014, 14:06
I get the "she's 13, what's with this photo?" question. People post way too many pictures on instagram/facebook/the web in general.

Oversharing is an epidemic.

I seriously doubt Mr Smith and Mrs Smith would tolerate a grown man having a fleshy affair with their daughter at age 13.

C'mon, man.

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st May 2014, 14:14
Hands up, anyone who would enjoy seeing their 13 year-old child in bed with a semi-clad dude, an adult? Anyone? No?

In bed is one thing, laying fully clothed on top of the bed in a totally non sexual pose with a friend is a completely different thing and would certainly not see me heading for a seat on the outrage bus.

500N
21st May 2014, 14:18
SFFP

That is exactly what my GF said.

She is not "in bed", she is on top of it.

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st May 2014, 14:22
SFFP

Trouble with using that sort of logic is it puts the outrage bus out of work :ok:

chuks
21st May 2014, 14:23
No, no, just a detour through the kitchen to pick up the tenderizing hammer, and the shears we use to cut up chicken. "Clonk! Snip! Sorted! Next ...."

Seriously, if I saw my daughter at age 13 anywhere close to a shirtless 20 year-old, mayhem would ensue. Playing Nintendo would be enough; laying on the bed, more than enough.

She's 26 now, so on her own. I'm not one of those creepy dads who obsess over seeing her not wearing a veil or anything, but an adult who gets close to a child needs to observe certain boundaries, and the child needs to make sure that happens.

rgbrock1
21st May 2014, 14:52
My own daughter is 13. If I were to see her lying on top of her bed with a shirtless man next to her I would be a passenger on the outrage bus quite quickly. And the shirtless man would be shirted and out on his ass.

Lonewolf_50
21st May 2014, 15:06
And if they were at a swimming pool? :}

surely not
21st May 2014, 15:31
Fully agree Wolf........... What a huge over reaction AND skewing of the facts to make it seem worse than it is. As others have pointed out shie ON the bed not in it; she is curled up looking away from the guy, not gazing at him in wistful love, and he doesn't seem too fussed that she is there.

Great response by Willow to the press and she is 100% right, it is others making a fuss and putting their 'dirty minds' to ill use, not her and not the guy.

What a waste of everyones time investigating.

500N
21st May 2014, 15:35
For a start the parents knew and didn't have a problem with it.

I would like to know who took the photo ?

Look at a scenario.

He's in (just) bed, shirt off, leaning against a pillow. Classic sit up in bed watching TV pose.

Let's say he was with his GF or something.

13 year old comes in, jumps on bed, someone or GF of guy takes a photo.

Gets posted on the internet and all hell breaks loose on the outrage bus.

What if he has been on a sun lounge outside in the back garden and
she came along and lay next to him and a photo was taken ?

I just think like the mum, people are looking for things that aren't there !

Lonewolf_50
21st May 2014, 15:37
If you want to read about something creepy, there is a recent news story about a 27 year old man in North Carolina (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/20/teen-sex-closet/9326053/)who hid successfully for five days in a 14 year old girl's closet, in her house, with her mom none the wiser :eek: Yes, they "met" on line ...

He was eventually discovered, and ran off, and got caught, and is being charged for a variety of wrongdoing ... serves' the :mad: right.

Arrgh. What is this world coming to? :eek:

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st May 2014, 16:00
My own daughter is 13. If I were to see her lying on top of her bed with a shirtless man next to her I would be a passenger on the outrage bus quite quickly. And the shirtless man would be shirted and out on his ass.

Now imagine the guy in question is a relative or close family friend, staying over with your permission, you are in the house in close proximity and fully aware your daughter has just popped into the room to say hi...........

Context is always helpful :ok:

chuks
21st May 2014, 16:03
I have been sat naked as a jaybird, right next to a beautiful, stark-naked 15 year-old girl, but in a sauna, so that was okay.

On the other hand, I was out on a lake in Finland, in a rowboat with a beautiful, stark-naked 13 year-old, but that was a dude, so that was also okay. (If "he" had been a "she" ... well, then I probably would not have taken that trip!)

That picture just raises too may questions. Why is the guy only partially clad? What is a 13 year-old girl doing in that pose on his bed? Her bed? Whose bed?

The exact same poses for that pair, but on the edge of a pool, well, agreed, that would only be a problem for a real blue-nose. The problem comes primarily from the setting: a bed, when we all know what people get up to in bed. After all, in English we speak of "sleeping" with someone, meaning, usually, something other than that!

Another part of the problem is Hollyweird, and what its denizens get up to. Remember Roman Polanski's bit of trouble with that under-age girl? I think it was her mother dropped her off at his place, but anyway, the girl was not dragged into Roman's van or anything like that. She was happy to be there, to start with.

Michael Jackson and his series of boy encounters, when again the parents seemed to be perfectly okay with their kids visiting an obvious creep to spend the night unsupervised? The values in that town are shagged!

I direct your attention to the Mel Brooks film, Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Sex but were Afraid to Ask, the scene where Gene Wilder is caught in bed with a sheep, a sheep wearing suspenders and silk stockings. He tries to explain this away, actually, but his wife just won't buy it.

Here, should we buy Ms. Pinkett-Smith's explanation about this image being perfectly in order? No, I think it was calculated to make a certain splash for the publicity-hungry Smith family, but she may have miscalculated a bit, since now the authorities have got involved. It's one thing to tweak the sensibilities of that "little old lady from Dubuque," but quite something else to cause the State of California to wonder what in the hell is going on there.

There's a problem with living in that bubble of fame: you think that you can do as you please in all things, but even in the Land of the Free there are certain rules that apply to what you allow your children to do. They are children, after all, children who need to be told what to do, and what not to do. If the parents won't enforce proper behavior, then the state must step in.

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st May 2014, 16:07
That picture just raises too may questions. Why is the guy only partially clad? What is a 13 year-old girl doing in that pose on his bed? Her bed? Whose bed?

Without those answers the only conclusion to be made is one that is jumped at :ok:

500N
21st May 2014, 16:09
"is caught in bed with a sheep, a sheep wearing suspenders and silk stockings."

And you say "The values in that town are shagged!"

Yes, well, the above is considered normal in this part of the world,
well, people sleeping with sheep !!! (Kiwis you see ;) :O)

Checkboard
21st May 2014, 16:33
... and it's not in a room alone - it's with a photographer, and with the parent's knowledge, AND innocent enough to be shared by them on public Twitter. :rolleyes:

How many man-hours of wasted investigation time for this easy target, while they let another child present with injuries at school/hospital with no investigation?

Lon More
21st May 2014, 16:42
Must have been another no news day. :ugh:

chuks
21st May 2014, 17:45
You need to get out more. "Innocent enough to be shared ... on ... Twitter" indeed! Check out Stephanie Seymour's holiday snaps, at the beach with one of her sons ... in a prolonged clinch with him; helping him adjust his bathing trunks, trunks which are sporting a rather obvious bulge ... just the usual sort of mother-son holiday snaps, you know ....

I tell you, these people are trying to be provocative! But that's okay, up to a point.

Stephanie is in the clear; her son from the beach shots explained that he's gay, so that was not what it looked like there. I guess he was looking over her shoulder at a hunky life-guard before she was fiddling with his waistband?

My own daughter .... We were hanging out in Hannover for Mother's Day, her, her boyfriend, her mother, and me, when the subject of the latest Eurovision Song Contest came up. I know little or nothing of modern pop music, so that when the daughter cited the contest's winning number as Rising Like a Penis by Conchita Wurst, I just had to ask. It turned out to be Rising Like a Phoenix by Conchita Wurst: a dude with a beard and a big wig and lots of makeup, wearing a sparkly gown. Either title would have been okay with me.

My daughter, the poor tyke, had been raised on tales of what went on back at work in West Africa, where pretty much anything goes, and I think hearing those tales of depravity might have affected her development. God only knows what it will take to shock her! I think that if she has even seen little Miss Smith in her bedroom pose, she has just had a quiet laugh at this successful attempt to glean a bit more public attention for the Smith family. Show biz people need love too, and mirrors, lots of mirrors.

rgbrock1
21st May 2014, 17:48
sffp wrote:

Now imagine the guy in question is a relative or close family friend, staying over with your permission, you are in the house in close proximity and fully aware your daughter has just popped into the room to say hi...........

Fine. To which I would say "Hey, Cousin Joe? Put your ******* shirt on."

ruddman
21st May 2014, 18:01
Dumb picture.

And dont see the need for it to have been taken and why a 13 yr old girl needs to be on/in/near a bed with a 22 yr old man shirtless or otherwise.

Strange 'parenting' here.

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st May 2014, 20:41
Fine. To which I would say "Hey, Cousin Joe? Put your ******* shirt on."

Your rules, your house. Mr Smith's rules, Mr Smith's house.

Provided both of you are satisfied nothing untoward is happening who is right and who is wrong?

ruddman
21st May 2014, 20:52
Worst reasoning ever.

How about nobody's rules but common sense?

Checkboard
21st May 2014, 20:57
Stephanie is in the clear

... so you're agreeing with me? :confused::confused:

500N
21st May 2014, 20:58
Ruddman

This whole thing is an overreaction as the mother says !

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st May 2014, 21:12
Worst reasoning ever.

How about nobody's rules but common sense?

Define common sense?

500N
21st May 2014, 21:15
If you are left wing, it means you don't have any, the Gov't tells you what to do and how to do it, including how to parent !

ruddman
21st May 2014, 21:19
Define common sense?

Not putting a 13yr old girl on the bed with a 22 yr old shirtless man is common sence.

Doesn't matter the 'view' of 'sensible' parents.

What's a government, 500N? Never voted. Never will.

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st May 2014, 21:21
Not putting a 13yr old girl on the bed with a 22 yr old shirtless man is common sence.

Doesn't matter the 'view' of 'sensible' parents.

Is that the Universally held definition of common sense or is that simply based on your own personal opinion?

Checkboard
21st May 2014, 21:24
FFS ruddman in your entire life growing up, cousins, siblings, whatever - you've NEVER seen a kid run into a bedroom in the morning and jump on the bed of an Adult??? :confused::confused::confused:

Open doors etc etc

500N
21st May 2014, 21:24
ruddman

Who said anyone put her on the bed ?

The impression I got was she did it herself.

chuks
21st May 2014, 21:36
What I meant to say is that there's a lot of stuff on social media that is pretty raunchy. Just because an image is there doesn't mean it's innocent. Far from it!

The first thing to keep in mind might be that Hollyweird marches to a different drum, when getting noticed is far more important than showing any common decency.

Stephanie Seymour is a fading super-model, still hot but, you know, tragically old at 45. Hmm ... how to get noticed in the face of stiff competition? How about putting some moves on your son on the beach? That might do the trick! So, just Google "Stephanie Seymour St Barts Photos" and you will see some pretty unusual stuff going on there, stuff that certainly got Ms. Seymour noticed! If she looks like a bit of a pervert, well .... that's just her viewers being narrow-minded, exactly what Jada Pinkett-Smith was complaining about too. That was three years ago, her monkeyshines on the beach, and now Ms. Seymour is back, in Harper's Bazaar, wearing not a whole lot, along with both sons!

Shall I fire up the crystal ball, to predict some further naughtiness from the youngest member of the Smith family, as and when that proves necessary? What, you think getting noticed embarrasses these people?

Fred Allen said that you could take all the honesty in Hollywood, place it in the navel of a fruit fly, and still have room enough for three caraway seeds and a producer's heart.

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st May 2014, 21:40
Just because an image is there doesn't mean it's innocent. Far from it!

The opposite of course could apply. As to the rest of your post you voice a lot of sense.

ruddman
21st May 2014, 22:32
Is that the Universally held definition of common sense or is that simply based on your own personal opinion?

Opinion if any sane parent with common sense. I guess you get a thrill out if the pic eh?

Checkboard?
Whether a stranger or a relative, I've never personally known a 13 yr old girl go and jump on the bed of a 22 yr old man with no shirt on.

And if she did, I'd be concerned. I'd be concerned even more so for the 'adult' and his intentions regardless of what he says.

I guess you get a kick out if the pic too. You there are websites that feature similar I hear, but they're illegal.

I wouldn't even let her walk along from school if that was my child in broad daylight let alone be in that situation. Too many naive people - umfortunatley many parents - in this world.

Far, far too many predators.

Checkboard
21st May 2014, 22:35
I wouldn't even let her walk along from school if that was my child in broad daylight

Really? - One thinks one protests too much :rolleyes:

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st May 2014, 23:02
I guess you get a thrill out if the pic eh?

What a silly thing to say, still if the debate is lost insult is normally the way ahead :ok:

500N
21st May 2014, 23:08
Ruddman

Re " And if she did, I'd be concerned. I'd be concerned even more so for the 'adult' and his intentions regardless of what he says."

And what if the 13 yo jumped on the bed without any input from the 22 yo and the 22 yo had nothing to do with it and her sister took the photo.

Lonewolf_50
21st May 2014, 23:11
Steph at 45 is amazingly fit, good for her! chuks, I see what you are getting at, and don't disagree that it may have been planned to get attention to one who needs attention to have a paying job.

In re the Smiths, I'll back the mom and dad, but I can see how chuks' line of inquiry leads one to be suspicious.

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st May 2014, 23:23
Steph at 45 is amazingly fit, good for her! chuks, I see what you are getting at, and don't disagree that it may have been planned to get attention to one who needs attention to have a paying job.

In re the Smiths, I'll back the mom and dad, but I can see how chuks' line of inquiry leads one to be suspicious.

As do I but the important thing is it's all based on supposition hence without facts it's a bit hard to make reasoned judgment :ok:

ExSp33db1rd
21st May 2014, 23:36
Who are the Smiths ?

500N
21st May 2014, 23:39
Will Smith, Actor.

ExSp33db1rd
22nd May 2014, 01:02
Will Smith, Actor.

Thanks, Not A Lot Of People Know That !!

500N
22nd May 2014, 01:10
Good point.

I suppose it depends on what generation you are !!! :O

ExSp33db1rd
22nd May 2014, 01:53
I remember Mae West !

500N
22nd May 2014, 01:56
Ex

I was going to put a smart arse comment like "Old Fart" but
decided against it ! ;)

Well, after that reply, I suppose people like you only remember the silent Charlie Chaplin type films :O :p

ExSp33db1rd
22nd May 2014, 04:44
........ only remember the silent Charlie Chaplin type films.

Well, no, I actually went to the cinema last week - saw someone called Cameron Diaz ? Can't remember the name of the film tho' !

Lord Spandex Masher
22nd May 2014, 08:18
SFFP

Is it ok to shag someone else's bird on the bed?

acbus1
22nd May 2014, 09:22
Let's all assume Smith's acting career is flagging (never did anything but, IMHO; can't stand the bloke) and this is a publicity stunt.

No, look, don't post any more. I said let's all assume...

Ah well, I tried.

chuks
22nd May 2014, 09:31
According to a Swedish colleague, "40 kilos" is the age of consent. He said it's in the Swedish Bible or something. We were drinking heavily that night, so that I might not have got that right.

(Notice: This advice has no legal standing; I am not a lawyer and I do not suggest that this information should be used as a defense in a court of law.)

The pneumatic Stephanie is married to one of the top plastic surgeons in Hollywood, so that what you see may not be 100% natural. Do not expect the average 45 year-old woman to match her appearance. On the other hand, the average 45 year-old woman might be a much safer companion for a family trip to the beach; there is that.

Seldomfitforpurpose
22nd May 2014, 11:10
Is it ok to shag someone else's bird on the bed?

If she is of legal age and consents then absolutely :ok: