PDA

View Full Version : What's This?

lomapaseo
20th May 2014, 21:32
Probably only suitable for experts in Jet Blast:}

Mystery Metal Falls From the Sky - NBC News (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mystery-metal-falls-sky-n110306)

http://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Video/__NEW/_News%20Channel/nc_mysterymet1_140520.nbcnews-video-reststate-1024.jpg

Looks too big for small aircraft.

looks like it might have clamped something

It seems to have some recognizeable hex head holes but it sure has been tumbled around and around for a long time.

con-pilot
20th May 2014, 21:35
Looks like something off of a landing gear assembly to me.

Try the History forum, there are some people there that can identify about anything.

cavortingcheetah
20th May 2014, 21:40
It certainly isn't the hand of god.

tony draper
20th May 2014, 21:42
Bit of a burned up Satellite? looks like it may have been subjected to re entry heat,looks a tad heavily engineered for summat intended for orbit,what metal is it made from?
:confused:Sorry hadn't watched the clip,apparently tiz heavy

SpringHeeledJack
20th May 2014, 21:47
I was thinking the same Mr Draper, it looks like it has melted and deformed on the edges. Perhaps it was a piece of space junk, maybe titanium or some special alloy that is very light ?

SHJ

500N
20th May 2014, 21:48
It looks like lead to me.

tony draper
20th May 2014, 21:49
According to the clip it is heavy,titanium is a very light metal int it.
Hot air Balloon? or Blimp? again lightness must be in the design speck

500N
20th May 2014, 21:51
Titanium is extremely light, like Aluminium.

But also very strong.

Windy Militant
20th May 2014, 22:17
After a Quick Goggle it appears that the most likely explanation is that it's a tooth from a tub grinder at a local recycling plant.Tub Grinder Repair - Repairing Bulk Waste Reduction Grinders and Morbark Chippers (http://www.bausdemachinery.com/sdp/1925618/4/pd-6556095/10734655-2504138/Tub_grinder_tips_teeth.html)
http://www.bausdemachinery.com/sdp/1925618/4/pd-6556095/10734655-2504138/Tub_grinder_tips_teeth.html
and is not part of a chemtrail spray no siree bob!:=

500N
20th May 2014, 22:22
I think you got it.

:ok:

chevvron
21st May 2014, 00:49
It's a part off a vimana; the part which links the anti gravity system with the vril controls to enable thought control of the spacecraft.http://www.pprune.org/images/icons/46.gif

10Watt
21st May 2014, 04:58
could it be....

a black man`s finger pointing at a bit of scrap metal ?

onetrack
21st May 2014, 06:26
Tub grinders, stump grinders, chippers, and anything with high speed rotating parts are good things to keep a substantial distance away from.

Here in the SW of West Oz, a few years back, a large stump grinder or chipper was being utilised next to a major highway.
An undetected crack in the centre of the 1.2M diameter x 40mm thick wheel saw the crack propagate rapidly when the grinder or chipper was in use, until the wheel broke almost clean in half.

One half of the wheel stayed on the shaft, the other half launched itself across the highway at high speed.
The flying, and still rotating wheel half, flew across the front of a passing vehicle, seriously damaging it - then it went straight through a parked vehicle on the far side of the highway, nearly cutting the vehicle in half, and totally destroying the vehicle in the process.

The broken wheel half continued on its merry way after slicing through the parked vehicle, went through many metres of heavy vegetation, cut through a fence, and went somewhere in the order of about 100 metres out into an adjacent farm paddock.

Amazingly, no-one was hurt in the entire event - but from that day on, all tree, stump or chip grinders with large rotating components, have had to be thoroughly examined for wheel cracks on a regular basis.

acbus1
21st May 2014, 07:31
So that's where it is!

My interociter has been sat here since 1955, dead as a dodo, waiting for that bit.

This Island Earth - Faith Domergue (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/Reviews/tie.htm)

tony draper
21st May 2014, 07:33
One of me fav filums when I were a young lad int olden days Mr acbus,:ok:

SpringHeeledJack
21st May 2014, 08:28
The video wouldn't play for me, so I didn't get to hear how heavy it was. If it is this tooth from a recycling plant would it have flown through the air and landed a distance away after a mechanical failure ?

SHJ

onetrack
21st May 2014, 09:44
SHJ:If it is this tooth from a recycling plant would it have flown through the air and landed a distance away after a mechanical failure ?SHJ - That's most certainly possible. It could have easily been propelled many hundreds of metres into the air with the high rotational speeds imparted to these components.

I'd fogotten about another similar incident here, to the one I posted previously. On another wood chipper, in another failure event, a wheel broke in half, and it took off straight into a nearby backhoe cabin, killing the backhoe operator instantly.

The wheel half sheared through the solid steel ROPS protective structure of the backhoe cabin like it was butter.

Mac the Knife
21st May 2014, 10:50
Well, if it's South Florida then how about a bit of burned-up rocket booster.

Boom-boom!

:ouch:

TWT
21st May 2014, 11:11
There's 10 recycling businesses listed in West Palm Beach,Florida.

GrumpyOldFart
21st May 2014, 11:19
That little finger nail on the left hand is quite impressive. Nose-picker or ear-wax-digger-outer?

Mac the Knife
21st May 2014, 15:30
"That little finger nail on the left hand is quite impressive. Nose-picker or ear-wax-digger-outer?"

Neither, it's a very old code to signify that you don't do manual labour.

Generally it means that the owner is a gangster, thief, pimp, con-man or banker.

Mac

:8

mikedreamer787
22nd May 2014, 06:25
"That little finger nail on the left hand is quite impressive. Nose-picker or ear-wax-digger-outer?"

In China its an ear-wax-digger-outer if no car keys are handy.

Ascend Charlie
22nd May 2014, 07:20
It's the grunge trunnion off the Lagos International Conveyor Belt.

FullOppositeRudder
22nd May 2014, 07:46
From my grain/combine harvester days, very rarely a bolt or nut might find its way through into the thrasher, and get a helluva pounding as it passed though the concave thrasher bar gap. Because of its size it would probably not pass through the sieves/riddles and so it would travel to the back of the riddle box, drop into the cross auger and thence into the repeat elevator leading to another trip into the thrasher and another pounding This would continue until either the operator heard the din and stopped to investigate, or by chance would find it sitting on top of the sieves during a routine check.

The appearance of the bolt/object after a long series of trips through this cycle resembles very much what we see see in the picture - repeated metal to metal contact at very considerable force and speed.

The tub grinder scenario is quite plausible.

FOR