PDA

View Full Version : Handcuffs vs Flexicuffs?

Inbound On Descent
20th May 2014, 11:48
Question about worldwide philosophy / policy between these two bits of kit.

How many of you use one versus the other?

What are the perceived benefits / drawbacks of each?

No hidden agenda, just having a debate and keen to get some perspective from around the traps.

Look forward to hearing about your equipment / SOP's.

Cheers,

Inbound :ok:

mad_jock
20th May 2014, 17:29
on the plane or in the bedroom?

pilotmike
20th May 2014, 18:27
I have to say that I have always found flexicuffs softer and kinder to the skin, less likely to leave any telltale marks, and generally more agreeable in most aspects of general use.

However, it must always be remembered what the ultimate purpose for using any type of restraint is - comfort is not always the top consideration.

Indeed, degrees of pain are often the intended consequence of any significant attempts at movement, or in resisting the restraint, in which case it could reasonably be argued that the original style handcuff is to be preferred, and is therefore more suited to purpose.

I guess it all comes down to the overall benefit vs cost, particularly taking into account both the feelings and intentions of both the restraining party and the party to be restrained, bearing in mind that once in the cuffs (of whatever chosen style), the restrained party will have far less say in the matter.

Reflecting on your user name, 'Inbound On Descent', the question appears to be far deeper than I first imagined. A fuller answer might only be possible once we know whether your intended use was for when 'inbound', or receiving the 'inbound' traffic or whether the intention was only to use them when 'going down'.

I'd suggest trying both types in all scenarios and situations, and share your findings for the benefit of everyone.

Piltdown Man
26th May 2014, 08:24
Comfort should be the last concern of any cabin crew who have to use these things. If you get to the point where they have to be used, get enough friendly passengers to sit on the oaf you are going to cuff and use whatever arrives first. But make sure you have some flexi-cuffs waiting. The obnoxious git will probably kick off again so use these to strap them to a seat. And now you will ask "What if there is an evacuation?" Well don't worry. The Captain will release the sh!t just before he leaves... probably. (But who really cares?)

Whenever you are in such and extreme position as having to restrain someone, your care and consideration must always be towards those who are helpful and compliant, not the person in cuffs. And NEVER release them, for ANY reason.

PM