PDA

View Full Version : We're Running out of WHISKEY

tdracer
19th May 2014, 19:39
It seems that we're drinking whiskey faster than they're making it. And given the time it takes to age the good stuff, things may get nasty :eek:

Whiskey supplies are running low
Despite the increase in distillation over the past few years, bourbon demand still outpaces supply. The overall bourbon category is experiencing 5% growth, but premium brands are up nearly 20% from last year.

History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/ist/?next=/smart-news/were-drinking-through-whiskey-supplies-faster-distillers-can-make-more-180951390/?utm_source=smithsoniantopic&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20140518-Weekender)

Stock up now :E

TomJoad
19th May 2014, 20:16
Time to stop exporting the stuff. The good stuff anyway:p

Tom

John Hill
19th May 2014, 20:29
Is this a bourbon or whiskey shortage?

500N
19th May 2014, 20:34
I think Bourbon.

seafire6b
19th May 2014, 20:38
...so perhaps not a whisky shortage, but whiskey, as stated by the OP?

500N
19th May 2014, 20:42
That was the way I read it and the article confirmed it as such.

tony draper
19th May 2014, 20:53
I was under the impression that there exist in the backwoods over there a lot of chaps with much facial hair and a strange mode of speech who can make as much of it as you want.
:uhoh:
I seen a documentary about em

500N
19th May 2014, 20:55
Isn't that moonshine ?

con-pilot
19th May 2014, 20:58
Both bourbon and Scotch is considered a whiskey, or whisky if you prefer.

But as the shortage is bourbon, I'll stop crying. :p

tony draper
19th May 2014, 20:59
Same difference (C2H5OH) water a bit of flavoring and colouring,and bobs yer uncle.
:rolleyes:

Lonewolf_50
19th May 2014, 21:25
Does this mean I have to switch to rum, or is rye in plentiful supply?

N707ZS
19th May 2014, 22:42
Wish I had bought a barrel a few years ago at the Tomatin distillery. It would of almost been 25 years old.

TomJoad
19th May 2014, 23:12
Ah Bourbon - stand easy, exports back on:p.

Keef
19th May 2014, 23:18
Bourbon? Isn't that a French noble family?

eastern wiseguy
19th May 2014, 23:31
Keef...no....a cheap chocolate flavoured biccy :ok:

TomJoad
19th May 2014, 23:46
Do they make whisky outside of Scotland;)

500N
19th May 2014, 23:50
Yes, some very good whisky is made outside of Scotland.

I think Japan (or one distillery in Japan) has recently won
a few top awards.

TomJoad
20th May 2014, 00:22
Must be a global conspiracy - most likely the same folk behind all those chem trails:p

eastern wiseguy
20th May 2014, 00:32
Yes, some very good whisky is made outside of Scotland.

Particularly in Ireland.....were it is spelled WhiskEy. Japan?.....have a word with yourself.:).....

ruddman
20th May 2014, 00:35
Must be a global conspiracy - most likely the same folk behind all those chem trails

What if the whiskey IS the chemtrails? Shit! :eek:

Have any if you flyboys noticed a sudden decrease in performance lately? The old girl is a little sluggish of the line, up the hills etc?

sirwa69
20th May 2014, 04:11
Bourbon! thats that liquid that tastes like the reject from a chemistry lab :yuk:

Relax folks, there is no shortage of Whisky :ok: Hic!

tdracer
20th May 2014, 04:32
Bourbon, unlike Scotch, doesn't taste like someone spilled iodine in it :eek: Many fine whiskeys are created in Canada and the US (I'm personally rather fond of Crown Royal). And all you Scotch snobs may want to take a minute to think about what will happen to your supplies when those millions of bourbon drinkers can't get their favorite spirit and go for Scotch instead :E

Vercingetorix
20th May 2014, 05:40
TomJoad

Do they make whisky outside of Scotland

Yep, The Bushmills distillery in Northern Ireland was the first. Irish spell it Whiskey which is where the cousins got the spelling, the Scots spell it Whisky.
Now for that bottle of Glenmorangie.

Cheers:ok:

parabellum
20th May 2014, 07:35
Suntory - A very drinkable Japanese whisky, don't know if they produce a Bourbon or Rye but their version of a Scotch is pretty smooth.

Laphroaig is my favourite, not to everyone's taste, but any good single malt will do! :)

Just repeating what I was told by a distiller in Scotland, he said don't get worked up about 25 year old whisky, it is intended for export, any thing over twelve years and the chemistry is changing.

Ancient Mariner
20th May 2014, 07:52
I'll drink Whisky, actually I'm rather attached to it and as luck will have it I visit Aberdeen quite frequently.
Whiskey on the other hand, never got the hang of it, and it is not from lack of trying. Too "sweet".
Some of the Japanese whiskies are excellent quality, but stupidly expensive, at least in Japan.
You will be surprised how many countries actually produce whisky. Sweden, anyone, Italy?
Check this out: Japanese Single Malt Whisky - Master of Malt (http://www.masterofmalt.com/country-style/japanese/single-malt-whisky/)

The best whisky I ever had was either Indian or Nepalese, after 5 days trekking in the Annapurnas we arrived in a little village late afternoon, found a small stall where they had biscuits, beer and whisky. Bought a 0.2 liter bottle of, if memory serves, Himalaya Whisky. With a wee drop of mountain water it tasted like heaven. I brought one bottle to Norway as a souvenir, but it resides at our cottage so I can not check its origin.
Per

Blacksheep
20th May 2014, 10:15
That Nepalese whisky is probably the secret behind the success of the Brigade of Gurkhas. Once, when I was bone dry out on the ranges, I asked a Gurkha for a swig at his water bottle. It was filled with the stuff! :ooh:

Ancient Mariner
20th May 2014, 11:12
Indeed Blacksheep, it will make you climb mountains, at a brisk pace. :eek:
Per

The SSK
20th May 2014, 11:43
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608012338122461067&pid=1.7

dubbleyew eight
20th May 2014, 12:48
actually, according to a telly program, (which makes the assertion correct) the best whiskey/whisky is made in Tasmania.

I enquired in the local bottle shop some time after the telly program.
"yeah we can get it but are you prepared to buy it? its $160 a bottle."

pass...

the $50 single malt bourbon though was lovely.:E

cattletruck
20th May 2014, 13:02
This thread reminded me that I had stored about a dozen bottles of JW Black and Chivas Regal some time age (over a decade I think). All bottles were empty :{ except one JW Black which has about 200ml of Whisky in it.

This makes it at least 22 years old. Can it be 'dranked'?

Impress to inflate
20th May 2014, 13:44
I understand that a Tasmanian distillery won the best single malt for 2014. A few great distilleries down under

ITI

tony draper
20th May 2014, 14:30
There was a period in our history when the entire Scottish whiskey crop was sent to London and converted into Gin,I expect they kept a few barrels up there for the natives.
:uhoh:

TomJoad
20th May 2014, 18:31
Particularly in Ireland.....were it is spelled WhiskEy. Japan?.....have a word with yourself.:).....

Well if its spely WhiskEy it ain't Whisky :}

TomJoad
20th May 2014, 18:35
Suntory - A very drinkable Japanese whisky, don't know if they produce a Bourbon or Rye but their version of a Scotch is pretty smooth.

Laphroaig is my favourite, not to everyone's taste, but any good single malt will do! :)

Just repeating what I was told by a distiller in Scotland, he said don't get worked up about 25 year old whisky, it is intended for export, any thing over twelve years and the chemistry is changing.

Agree wholeheartedly, a lot of what has happened with whisky over the last 20 years has had more to do with marketing. A 12 year old is perfectly acceptable. As for Laphroaig - good choice:ok:

Tom

500N
20th May 2014, 18:37
"I understand that a Tasmanian distillery won the best single malt for 2014. A few great distilleries down under"

What's it called, "Two heads" :O