PDA

View Full Version : New barbecue

flareflyer
19th May 2014, 13:52
Does anybody know a decent shop where to buy a decent gas barbeque without being ripped off in Dubai?
I am not very experienced in barbeque.
I checked ACE, some of them look not bad but i dont like to spend 6 or 7000 aed in a barbeque......
All suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks
Flare

Rich8a10
19th May 2014, 14:12
Why don't you try getting one from Dubizzle?
Even if it is second hand, you could find a very nice one, people leave Dubai every day and a lot will sell this kind of stuff cheap.

Good luck

ekwhistleblower
19th May 2014, 14:51
Get a Cadac Brai from Carrefour

scandistralian
19th May 2014, 15:48
Ask the next South African or Zimbo that you fly with, they are the BBQ (Brai) experts! :ok:

flareflyer
19th May 2014, 16:24
:ugh::ugh::ugh:
:}

Outatowner
19th May 2014, 16:44
A secondhand bbq??? May as well ask if they've got some secondhand steak knives and plates while you're at it.

.........a decent gas barbeque without being ripped off in Dubai?
................... but i dont like to spend 6 or 7000 aed in a barbeque

In this place, it's usually one or the other.
Get a jingly cooker or pay some decent money. Try beefeaterbbq.com

South African or Zimbo that you fly with, they are the BBQ (Brai) experts Subtle but important differences between a bbq and a braai. Some might say they are not the BBQ experts!

Outatowner
19th May 2014, 16:47
beefeaters are usually available at carrefour for less than Ace.

cost neutral
19th May 2014, 16:51
If your budget is 6-7k then a Weber Genesis is the best barbie for the money.
It has guarantees lasting up to 25 years, which says something about the product. Food cooked on a Weber gas q is fantastic

harry the cod
19th May 2014, 17:47
I think he said he does NOT want to spend 6-7000dhs. Unless there are some summer offers coming up, I'd save the outlay until October as you will not want to be standing outdoors cooking from now until then!

Harry

Round D. Globe
19th May 2014, 18:00
I got a pretty good gas BBQ at home life in Mirdif for 1800.00 about a year ago. Still work well. 3 burner plus a side burner. Home life is at most Dubai malls.

Peter Chube
19th May 2014, 21:10
Bid for a US trip. Much cheaper in Target.

cost neutral
20th May 2014, 02:21
Oh ok, missed that.
In any case i reckon buy once buy right, the weber will last you a long time and you really can " taste the difference ".
Come on use some of that profit cher, and in the case of a bbq the whole family wins ! :ok:

vfenext
20th May 2014, 03:23
I dont think Cher reads these posts or gets an EK profit share.

Desert Dawg
20th May 2014, 05:51
@Scandistralian,

Yeah - Us Zimbo's and Saffa's are the best at braai's for sure....:ok:

The best braai I ever had was a 44 gallon drum cut in half, welded onto an angle iron frame. Started the fire with balls of newspaper and broken up twigs, Then good old fire wood from the bush placed on top and allowed to burn down to good cooking charcoals....

Ahhh... the old days of cooking on a proper braai.... and it cost bugger all to make by yourself....Jassis Man..!!:}

falconeasydriver
20th May 2014, 07:05
My beautiful weber (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/223303-my-beautiful-weber.html)

All you need to know about the correct usage of a BBQ is here....:}:ok:

Oldaircrew
20th May 2014, 07:45
A BBQ is braai you £&@! up. :E

flareflyer
20th May 2014, 10:15
Thanks everybody for the answers.......
:ok::}

777boyindubai
20th May 2014, 13:34
Boeing makes better bbqs than Airbus :ok:

flareflyer
20th May 2014, 14:07
Guys....... I finally purchased my bbq.......... :ugh:

thrustidle74
20th May 2014, 15:57
Thank god the BBQ is bought!
I'm too a charcoal guy but finding good quality charcoal is a problem in Dubai.
Anybody knows where to get good long lasting charcoal? Not any of that briquette stuff...

cost neutral
20th May 2014, 16:29
Carrefour MOE has some, so does every Union Co-op store.
Look around, you will find what you need.

thrustidle74
20th May 2014, 16:41
Never tried Union-Coop. Good idea. Worth a try.
Thanks.

flareflyer
20th May 2014, 16:42
I wanted to start this thread just because i needed some suggestions in finding a bbq.
At the end it became a thread to have some laughs......
Well done guys!!!!!!!
A great writer once said "never let die the child who lives inside you", (please be patient with my english :})........well those living inside us are more then alive :D:D

flareflyer
20th May 2014, 16:43
I forgot to say that Mullah child is more alive then others......... I guess.......
:)

White Knight
20th May 2014, 22:13
Well done! If it's an airbus bbq, it:

•cost less to buy due to heavy subsidies but the spare parts will be expensive.
•comes with a manual translated into indecipherable "English"
•will only cook the steaks - all the skewers, sausages, burgers, etc will have to be cooked later by the Boeing bbq.
•will stop cooking halfway through when something breaks and return the meat back to where you started.
•will have all the switches upside down and the gas knobs will turn the wrong way to open the gas flow.
•will not let you run the flame at maximum even though you opened the tap fully and the meat is still not cooking.
•will try to cook your meat a different way to what you want, without telling you.
•and if two people are trying to cook on it at the same time, one won't be able to tell what the other is doing with the meat.

If we're talking meat... Remember that it's the Boeing BBQs that have to add something a little extra between the legs!

TineeTim
21st May 2014, 02:45
Sorry to interrupt the AvB battle brewing but back to the topic:

Anyone know if you can buy a big green egg, or a Kamado joe, in Dubai? Thanks.

Moony123
21st May 2014, 04:52
Ace did have stock of the Kamado Joe a couple of months ago - but I'm pretty sure they're all gone now. Inshallah they'll get some more.

Now on that topic - Anyone know where to buy some good smoking wood chunks? Not the rubbish Weber chips that Ace sell.

Desert Dawg
21st May 2014, 05:09
@JAArule

Lighting the fire was a delicate process for sure..!! If we didn't have two sticks to rub together, we would scratch around the house looking for an old box of Lion Matches, hoping at least one was left in the box.

Then it was a case of lighting the rolled up newspaper in three or four carefully chosen spots so that the fire would start evenly throughout the drum.

Lightning..?? Ja man... depends on whether we had a man of color standing next to the unlit braai when the rains were coming... :}:}

Desert Dawg
21st May 2014, 05:14
@thrustidle74

If you are looking for proper charcoal in DXB you will struggle.

However, if you are bothered to drive just past the 7's rugby grounds, you will come to an Eppco garage next to Exit 37 (goes to the Camel Souk and Al Lisaili model aircraft flying field). At that Eppco you will see they sell bags of Namibian firewood..!! Decent sized bags for AED 27.00 per bag...

Well worth the drive in my opinion - if you want to create the perfect bed of charcoal to cook on... :ok:

thrustidle74
21st May 2014, 06:02
Many thanks DD,

That's what I'm looking for. It's worth the drive. I heard the Namibian stuff is pretty much same as what we have back home.

Big Buddha
22nd May 2014, 03:16
Very good, but what and where was the barbeque that was finally purchased?

We're there any great deals or incites here to be shared?