PDA

View Full Version : They still keep trying ....

FullOppositeRudder
19th May 2014, 05:15
Discovered this morning during a routine check at my ISP spam filter - how gullible do these people think we really are:

Dear Apple user

We noticed that someone have recently accessed to your accountID and used your secured data,The account will continue to be frozen until You approve And Validate Your Informations. Click on the link below and follow the steps to confirm your account informations:

Confirm my Apple Account

you have to confirm your account informations within 48 hours

Thank You!
© 2014 Apple All rights reserved.I don't even have an "Apple Account" :rolleyes:

spannersatcx
19th May 2014, 06:17
There are plenty out there that do and are suckered in, I get them for nat west, barclays, apple etc etc etc

P.Pilcher
19th May 2014, 10:06
And then there is the foreign guy who I thought was attempting to flog double glazingm but rapidly assured me that I had a problem with my Windoze software. "Funny," I replied: "I am using Linux" then the telephone was firmly replaced as he attempted to assure me that I was using Windoze..

P.P.

jimtherev
19th May 2014, 22:14
Asking the caller if they had intended to call an unlisted number of Derbyshire Constabulary has the same effect.

Note: I NEVER claim that he IS speaking to Derbyshire Constabulary.

Keef
20th May 2014, 21:42
I'm getting more of these again now, since they've learned to spoof the CLI data. My "International ban" doesn't stop them.

The Windows Support ones seem to know my name and address and a bit about me, which for a load of spammers in India phoning lots of people in the UK seems like a major effort.

They don't argue for as long as they used to. The most recent one asked me if I noticed that my PC was running slower these days; I said it's running extremely fast; he hung up. His number (displayed as 001002) is now blocked, not that that'll do much good.

I had a call today from the "Senior Citizens' Help Centre" on 002036032149. He asked how I was, to which I asked how I could help. He then asked me about what newspaper I read, what television and radio I like (answer "none" to each of those). I think he wanted to sell me health insurance, but I didn't wait to find out.

greybeard
20th May 2014, 23:55
Defence from "your computer has a problem"

Tell them you are accessing the site they ask, and when they say what can you see

Naked women and men having sex, is this an office picture?

Haven't had a call for weeks

:O

KelvinD
21st May 2014, 05:14
I employ a "twin track" approach:
1. I have the ringer on my land line switched off. Every now and when I feel like it, I have a look at what calls I have missed and Google the odd one or two, just to double check I have dodged the idiots. If it is the bank etc I will recognise those as genuine calls and call them back.
2. If I slip up and answer one of these idiots (haven't done that for a year or so), I tell them to hang on, lay down the handset and go back to watching telly. Eventually they figure out they are paying for a call to a vacuum!

gemma10
21st May 2014, 09:52
Had an email purporting to be from HMRC and stating I was due a large tax rebate. Rang hmrc and they confirmed they never send emails, and would I forward the email to their phishing dept. Dont suppose it did any good though.

Keef
21st May 2014, 10:40
I get lots of those HMRC E-mails. For some reason, they don't know my name and they want me to tell them what it is. I wonder how they know I'm due money back when they don't know who I am.

gas path
21st May 2014, 12:26
These are the latest for me!! :eek:

Pretrial Notice,

Please, download the copy of the court notice attached herewith to read the details.
Note: The case may be heard by the judge in your absence if you do not come.

Truly yours,
Clerk to the Court.
Evie Smith

Yep attached is a zip file!!!

llondel
21st May 2014, 14:43
Very topical, from Dilbert a few days ago (http://www.dilbert.com/fast/2014-05-19/).

http://www.dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/200000/20000/1000/600/221657/221657.strip.print.gif