PDA

View Full Version : Mogadishu (MGQ) info

gacdc10
18th May 2014, 19:52
Scheduled to operate a charter to MGQ, looking for real time info or advise from those who have been. reviewed all the charts and notams, etc. Any information appreciated.

Foxcotte
19th May 2014, 08:39
You'll need to have your clearances in place beforehand - from the TFG government etc, and there's a ground agent SKA who pretty much controls the apron there. They'll bustle upto you on arrival with a bus to take pax to terminal and pilot to file at tower etc - for a fee of course. There are two fuel companies there - SKA is the main one, and there is also a private individual there too - and JetA fuel supplies are pretty good.

The runway is reasonably fair for 3rd world, big and wide enough for most jets but with some cracks and breakups starting. Because of sea breezes it can be fairly gusty at times, and although you can operate both runways, most landings use 05 which keeps you clear of the town (and shot & shell) by routing over the sea. Approach - depending on where you're coming from is a long finals/left base 05, and departure on 23 is takeoff and turn left over the sea until 6000' or more before turning back to course over the land. ATC is operational but sometimes a bit pedantic and overloaded if there is more than one aircraft operating nearby.

There's ground marshalling which will park you away from the terminal - no bad thing, but watch out for the cargo jets blowing or blocking your exit sometimes. UN have an operation there, and there are several daily schedules into Mog at the moment - most from neighbouring countries but also some from Europe like Turkish Airlines etc.

Someone on a previous thread on Prune about a year ago did a stop over there and had some useful bits to add but don't remember his name or thread title but might be worth looking to see what was said then.

Sean Mendis
20th May 2014, 08:01
I used to manage MGQ airport for SKA until a few months ago. Unfortunately the information provided by Foxcotte is a little out of date.

Clearances can be obtained from SCAMA (Somali Civil Aviation and Meteorological Authority) by emailing in advance to [email protected]. They are pretty good about responding within 24 hours.

SKA no longer does the ground handling. It is now being done by a Turkish company called Favori. They are, to put it politely, slightly lacking in professional experience. Be especially careful about marshaling and loading - there have been multiple issues of aircraft being stuck in the alley for hours without proper wingtip clearance and even an IL-18 that tail-tipped when the loaders failed to follow loading instructions.

ATC is Ugandan military controllers assisted by local Somali controllers. They are all very experienced (some of the Somalis started off as ATC before the war and then had a refresher course in Turkey last year), but keep in mind that they are still working from manual strips and handheld radios so cut them a bit of slack. Mid-morning (9-11am) on weekdays can be quite stressful as you have a lot of movements and a full ramp. Be very alert for traffic when in terminal airspace, especially since a bunch of aircraft operating in Somalia are not equipped with functional TCAS.

Runway 05/23 is in decent condition - we have handled 747s as recently as a few months ago. That said, there is no published PCN for the runway and it is a patchwork of repair jobs over two decades, so I wouldn't be keen to run a regular operation with a heavy jet.

SOP for ATC is to assign 05 approach regardless of conditions. This is a throwback to the days when Shabaab still controlled the areas north of the field and there were legitimate security concerns for a 23 approach. Indeed, an IL76 was shot down on 23 approach some years ago. However, today the 23 approach brings you right over the New Port which is behind only the airport and Villa Somalia as far as security presence goes. ATC is happy to clear a 23 approach "at your own risk" and I would highly recommend opting for that if prevailing winds make that optimal. There have been too many near misses (and indeed a fatal accident of an Ethiopian Air Force An-12 in August last year) due to pilots attempting to land on 05 with excessive tailwinds.

SKA still conducts the Jet A-1 supply at the airport, as does Supreme Group. SKA prices and quality control are almost always superior. You can arrange fuel in advance on prepayment/credit/cash terms by emailing [email protected]

Feel free to contact me via PM if you need any more info or contacts about MGQ. I really enjoyed my time there (despite the challenges) and am in regular contact with the guys still on the ground there.

Foxcotte
20th May 2014, 18:14
Sean

Thanks for the update. You're right that my info was a bit outdated - not too many calls for a charter flight to Mog these days - or any days!! But very useful to have the new details.. cheers