PDA

View Full Version : Concorde on TV

Desk-pilot
17th Jul 2001, 14:46
Sky news will be televising Concorde's test flight from 14.00 UK today live.

God speed dear friend.

Jonathan

Manflex55
17th Jul 2001, 15:50
Yes, Take Off 14:20.
Does anybody know the route ? From LHR to Iceland, then back to Oxfordshire, but dunno the actual track. Can it be spotted over the UK ?

MF

Kerosene Kraut
17th Jul 2001, 16:45
Could anybody post a link please? Having a hard time to find one. Thanks

SLF 999
17th Jul 2001, 16:58
http://www.sky.com/skynews/storytemplate/storytoppic/0,,30000-1023555,00.html

To the news story

Kerosene Kraut
17th Jul 2001, 17:03
Thanks SLF. Hope this is where the livefeed starts from. Can't wait to see it take off again...

Superpilot
17th Jul 2001, 17:28
Breath-taking...is all I can say! :eek:

EGGW
17th Jul 2001, 17:33
Airborne at last, what a sight!!! http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/thumbs.gif

PPRuNe Dispatcher
17th Jul 2001, 17:33
1415.. Time to go outside.

1423.. Watched Concorde disappear into the low cloud heading west :D

1429.. Someone asked me why I was standing in the rain with a huge smile on my face.

LRdriver
17th Jul 2001, 17:49
What!, it went ON time!!

I guess nobody told our friends at flowcontrol otherwise it would have gotten the usual 2 hour slot delay...

grumble grumble.. if I only knew who to pay off for that kind of service.
:D

fast cruiser
17th Jul 2001, 18:00
Nice to see Concorde back on the runway at LHR well done guys

cossack
17th Jul 2001, 18:00
Great to see her in the air again!
The PPRuNe Concorde charter is one step nearer! :D :D :D :D :D

HANGARPILOT
17th Jul 2001, 19:23
Has anyone seen the Aviation expert on sky news!!!!!!!!!.
He has just said that the test flight will include aerodynamic tests of the new kevlar tanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Why are all experts thick!!!!.
---------------------------------
I learned about flying from that!. :rolleyes:

Pancake
17th Jul 2001, 19:46
Don't you just love the way the media continue to report on our industry? The newsreader on Classic FM said earlier today that the 'new engine linings' were being tested... :rolleyes:

-P.

t'aint natural
17th Jul 2001, 20:02
Let's not get carried away. It's only a plane. I'm still smarting over what it cost me in the sixties.

Tom the Tenor
17th Jul 2001, 20:11
I was in a Hi-Fi/TV cum-computer shop at the time trying to buy a webcam and they have on display a really large Sony TV with a cinema-type screen and, boy, was it good standing there a few steps back watching Concorde take to the air ever so beautifully again - in the misery of the all day rain here in Cork it really cheered up the spirits.

The Sweeper
17th Jul 2001, 20:55
Hey, all the best folk read PPRUNE! You guys made the news:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/010717/80/byh2c.html

We stopped a meeting to watch the Sky feed. Not a pilot or anyone even remotely connected with aviation amongst us.

Strange the effect this wonderful aircraft has upon us.

Best wishes to all connected with getting Concorde back into service.

Final 3 Greens
17th Jul 2001, 21:10
Saw the beautiful lady airborne and safely away.

First of many more to come I hope

F3G :)

whats_it_doing_now?
17th Jul 2001, 21:25
The above link doesn't seem to work, so try this...
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/010717/80/byh6u.html

I'm going to start copyrighting my posts...!

MarkD
17th Jul 2001, 21:41
A few q's for ppl in the know...

why return to Brize rather than Heathrow?

are any non-crash mods being integrated with the refit, i.e. cabin or cockpit extras or engine upgrades?

go big bird go... I remember being in boarding school on the south coast of Ireland and hearing the windows rattle each evening as Concorde went by.

Trislander
17th Jul 2001, 22:15
I was up on the packed viewing platform above T2 today. The wet weather did nothing to stop Alpha Foxtrot's impressive take-off.
Great to see and hear her roar again. Met that long-haired reporter guy from BBC's Airport! It was strange because ten minutes later there was no-one in sight.
Landed safely just before 18:00 at RAF Brize N.

Tri

------------------
http://www.aurigny.com/images.gb%20/trislander.jpg
"Ayline 221 airbourne"

Niaga Dessip
18th Jul 2001, 00:28
Just a small point, but the in the BBC reports that I heard on this story, the implication is that it was a BA Concorde that crashed last year (and of course it was a tragedy whatever the nationality). :confused: :confused:

Viggen
18th Jul 2001, 00:38
MarkD - reason it had to land at Brize N is that it hasn't yet got the C of A re-instated - so can't land at a UK Civil airport, or so I understand.

brockenspectre
18th Jul 2001, 00:40
Does anyone know of a site with any "live" video coverage of Concordes re-taking of the skies today? I have looked at a couple of news sites and their footage appears to focus on the disaster last year and historical footage/anecdote.

:D

<~~thinks only folks with PPRuNe badges should get option to fly in inaugural Concorde flight hehehehe :p

Speedbird252
18th Jul 2001, 00:51
Yep, good job by all. Did ya see the approach into Brize? Lets take our hats off to Captain Mike Bannister. If you want to see how to fly a crosswind approach, and in an aircraft with a serious shortage of lift devices, then turn on the news at ten.....NOW!

Regards. :)

MarkD
18th Jul 2001, 00:56
Viggen - thanks for that [lack of COA], makes sense.

Bouncy Landing
18th Jul 2001, 02:19
Have to agree with Speedbird - it appeared to be taking a massive crosswind component - looked like it was heading straight for the camera! Just one more tribute to such a magnificent aircraft, and of course it flight crew.

kfly
18th Jul 2001, 03:21
Watching and listening to concorde take off again certainly lifted my spirits.

Thanks guys for all the links posted on this site.

:D :D

Daifly
18th Jul 2001, 18:58
Fantastic to see her climbing to 6000' routing direct to CPT yesterday pm - overhead Fairoaks!!

We were all there smiling at her! Nice bank too Capt. Bannister!

Great to see her back.

packsonflite
18th Jul 2001, 19:21
Get over it guys, its just another vintage aircraft! Won't be too long before its old enough for a slot at Old Warden.
;)

col323i
18th Jul 2001, 21:22
Packson......get a life boy

WOK
18th Jul 2001, 22:16
About time, too.

Just to clarify, the reason AF is based at Brize for now is nothing to do with CofA - you may fly into LHR on a Permit - but simply so the flying/taxying trials can be conducted without holding up all the other traffic or queuing for runway slots.

It'll be back at LHR soon, after completion of the required tech verification flights/tests.

Snoop
19th Jul 2001, 00:09
Spot on. Having a Club sandwich at Blackbush and heard that familiar roar and saw her up in the merk. Fantastic Day! :D

rubberjungle
19th Jul 2001, 18:48
Packsonflite - You friends with Guvnor by any chance?
Your comment certainly sounds all too familiar.

ScottishBurd
20th Jul 2001, 00:20
That ruddy aircraft...First time I ever saw it was Mk 1's 1973 landing at PIK.I was 2 years old.Love at first sight,indeed.It is almost wholly responsible for the sad,aviation obsessed git I am today.
How I love it!!!
;)