PDA

View Full Version : Cargo on C46 Commando (book question)

BobnDusty
16th May 2014, 10:07
Long time lurker and first time poster . . .

A friend and I are working to write a story and it involves a modern day climbing party coming across the bones of an old C46 Curtiss Commando. Anybody familiar with the C46 knows it was highly valued for flying mountains, such as the Burma Hump, because it could fly more, higher, and farther than the C47. Because of the same capabilities, the airplane was prized as an airliner at the late 1940s/early 1950s.

The story is set in 1947 when the Indo - Pakistani War began, as Pakistan broke away from the UK and India. The area was in post-war turmoil, with lots of refugees and riots.

In our story, the airplane took off with a load of 3-4 dozen passengers, their bags, and a small load of freight. Included in the freight were some high value objects from Buddhist temples and monasteries, as Pakistan was becoming a Muslim nation. Nothing really heavy or large in terms of what the airplane could do. For each flight, think in terms of a few museum items like gold statues the size of a desk lamp, etc. The airline would have known that the flights were carrying small loads of valuable cargo. After the airplane crashed, a few locals picked it over but never got into the crushed portions.

So here comes the question for any old timers who have experience with the C46. Where and how would you have loaded such items on the Commando? Simply at the back of the cabin? Behind the cockpit? One of the lower holds?

I appreciate any thoughts or comments. Rather than just killing time at bars & hotels on trips, it's been a fun project to try (thinly) to justify all those beers.

Thanks in advance!

Ian Burgess-Barber
16th May 2014, 15:59
Might it be worth your while to ask the guys at Buffalo Airways, Yellowknife NWT Canada?

Ian BB

BobnDusty
16th May 2014, 21:50
Great idea.
I thought about another northern operator, but think it may have been different long ago. Also with respect to culture between the US and Pakistan/India region. I work in Alaska every couple of years and while they are still their own culture, it's changed just in my 25+ years experience up there.
Thanks!

ICT_SLB
17th May 2014, 04:23
Another source might be the CAF folks: China Doll Curtis CF46 (http://cafsocal.com/chinadoll.htm)

pigboat
24th May 2014, 01:23
Where and how would you have loaded such items on the Commando? Simply at the back of the cabin? Behind the cockpit? One of the lower holds?

Front below floor cargo hold. That compartment was also accessible in flight via a hatch in the cockpit floor.

philbky
24th May 2014, 21:21
I hope that, before you write your story, you read the history of the first war between India and Pakistan. Firstly, Pakistan did not break away from India and the UK. The UK partitioned India to give the country independence whilst at the same time conceding to Muslim demands for their own state which became Pakistan. This followed a UK Act of Parliament which set up both the division and the independence of the two states.

The war broke out just weeks after partition over the state of Kashmir, a dispute which still exists today and still leads to clashes and tensions between the countries. The partition and the war led to the chaos of refugees and people on the move as Muslims and Hindus sought to move from their homes on the "wrong" side of the border to live in the "right" side. Whilst there had been anti British riots after the end of WW2, the chaos was little to do with the fall out from that conflict.

Brian Abraham
25th May 2014, 05:09
With the number of passengers you are talking about, any baggage would be in the below floor holds. The forward hold ran from in line with the aft edge of the crew door to the leading edge of the wing (148 inches long), with a volume of 197 cubic feet/3,450 pounds. The aft hold ran from a little aft of the rear spar to a point just forward of the tail wheel (143.5 inches long), capacity 258 cubic feet/1,750 pounds.

Dan Winterland
26th May 2014, 01:53
A good contemporary read would be China Pilot by Felix Smith. Most of his early flying was in C46s. China Pilot: Flying for Chiang and Chennault by Felix Smith ? Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1699397.China_Pilot) Still in print and available on line.

captainsmiffy
26th May 2014, 05:27
Would 'Fate is the Hunter' by Ernest Gann also provide a good source? He flew the hump, and wrote bout it here....think he flew the c46.

Brian Abraham
27th May 2014, 00:06
Also "Flying The Hump" by Jeff Ethell and Don Downie. The book is about Dons experiences flying the Hump during WWII in the C-46. Includes plenty of colour photos (180 in number) taken by Don during his service.

pigboat
27th May 2014, 00:20
Gann never flew the 46. He flew the C-47, the C-54 and the cargo version of the B-24, the C-87. He was flying the C-87 when he almost took out the Taj Mahal. Don't let that stop you from reading FITH though. ;)

MX Trainer
27th May 2014, 17:18
C 46 Outline Drawing

http://1point.ucoz.com/_ph/6/2/115900637.jpg

Might show what you need.

Mx

BobnDusty
29th May 2014, 12:33
Philbky -
Absolutely correct in that Britain divided India and Pakistan and I did phrase it wrong with "break away."
Thanks for the catch.

BobnDusty
29th May 2014, 12:51
MX Trainer -

I've found some drawings and while the link won't open, the URL sounds like some I've seen.
Thanks!

Even better is finding a couple of C46s to potentially visit, one outside the Curtiss museum in Hammondsport, New York. The other is Tinker Belle, near Charlotte, NC.

Pigboat -

Drawings and people have pointed out that the forward hold exists and the door ahead of the wing. You are the first person to mention it might be used and I'm wondering why? To intentionally separate this high value cargo from general cargo?
The forward hold would have been harder to get in and out of, especially with the heavier items (gold) that the story revolves around. You can see why I ask in this photo, which shows the cargo door and relative size of a person:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6059/5898903621_65ef457379_z.jpg