PDA

View Full Version : Time for a sequel to Enemy of the State

tartare
16th May 2014, 03:08
I see Sony have picked up the movie rights to Glenn Greenwald's book on Snowden.
No Place to Hide: A Conservative Critique of a Radical NSA - Conor Friedersdorf - The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/05/on-nsa-surveillance-glenn-greenwald-is-not-the-radical/370830/)
Six months ago, someone in this very forum who shall remain nameless thought it was tinfoil hat to say that sigint agencies were able to get inside every device, and could geolocate objects on the web.
Since then it has emerged that Five Eyes can and do:
*Monitor keystroke by keystroke, in real time, an individuals entire online activity via XKEYSCORE
*Intercept and de-crypt virtually any type of data-stream, including VoIP
*Physically intercept and bug hardware as it is mailed to people
*Snap pics from your webcam
*Hoover up your email contacts, Facebook friends, in fact any contact list of any kind
*Intercept mobile calls on planes in flight
*Intercept all data entering the UK in real time
*Probably compromise PGP
*Use zombie armies to co-ordinate their own cyber attacks
*Use BONESAW to provide geolocation of virtually every Internet connected device - and many, many more capabilities...
Staggering - and fascinating from a technical point of view.
What's becoming increasingly clear as the Snowden revelations continue is that as the Internet has evolved, so the sigint agencies have wrapped themselves around it like an invisible vine.
As one would expect them to.
If they make a film - I hope they do the detail at least some justice - and that it won't end up being another big dumb Hollywood movie...

mikedreamer787
19th May 2014, 05:59
Anything made by bloody Hollywood will
include a distortion of the facts while the
producers will state "some events altered
for dramatic purposes...but the movie is
historically correct... [blah blah bullsh!t]".

But who can blame 'em? A movie is made
for entertainment not documentarian - so
its an open licence for storytelling.

What you've posted Mr Tartare is indeed
interesting, but don't expect Tinseltown
to follow a real life script. It doesn't have
to.

Nervous SLF
19th May 2014, 07:12
Yes I agree with you about Hollywood and their very non accurate films. I wouldn't mind very much IF they kept the rubbish
in the U.S. but they inflict it on the rest of the world. They seem to think that as they can fool lots of their own people they can
fool us. WRONG

tartare
19th May 2014, 07:34
Kathryn Bigelow would do a good job.
If she followed her track record with The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty - both were pretty good IMHO.

acbus1
19th May 2014, 08:35
Anything made by bloody Hollywood will
include a distortion of the facts while the
producers will state "some events altered
for dramatic purposes...but the movie is
historically correct... [blah blah bullsh!t]".
Don't blame Hollywood! That's the NSA input.

TomJoad
19th May 2014, 19:08
One thing to hoover up all that data another thing altogether to identify and make sense of the very very small part of it that is of any relevance. Much has been made of the internet and the digital communication age I wager that in terms of intelligence gathering it's made just as difficult as it has made the gathering easier; discerning a whisper amongst the shouting. Anyway couldn't help but smile when I watched the video below - how long before we have public access to live HD video feed from orbiting satellite -welcome the next generation of Google Earth. For all their proficiency at gathering and interpreting digital data the sigint community's worst nightmare I guess must be when the bad guys resort to pen, paper and carrier pigeon - ah memories of Speckled Jim.:p

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27408318

mikedreamer787
20th May 2014, 04:07
Read my 2nd para SLF. There's nothing
wrong with Hollywood exporting forms
of entertainment such as films, as long
as the audience realises its storytelling
and not gospel truths.

But of course a large percentage of these
audiences are twits. Look at The Da Vinci
Code for example - the author Dan Brown
admitted when his book was published it
was merely fictional entertainment while
maintaining a credible theoretical plot. It
'twernt long after the book was adapted
to film that the God loonies went berzerk.

When Pearl Harbor came out a few years
ago I thought it was a good storyline (and
had Kate Beckinsale as bonus eye candy)
and found it entertaining. All bullsh!t but
entertaining. If I want to see a movie that
at least holds some truth about December
7th I'll watch Tora! Tora! Tora!

arcniz
20th May 2014, 04:42
Hollywood's franchise is to make up tales and myths that seem terribly real and exciting.

The Minders' mission is to assure, as best it can be done, that the worst of the exciting stuff in prospect remains mostly mythical.

Both endeavours tend to make a lot of omelets along the way.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e9/Starling_eggs.jpeg/320px-Starling_eggs.jpeg

rh200
20th May 2014, 05:33
One thing to hoover up all that data another thing altogether to identify and make sense of the very very small part of it that is of any relevance.
Exactly, thats why I don't mind them doing it. In fact I say you want to buffer data, fine grab it all put some good rules in place on when they can access it.

Frankely its just data overload for them, and its driving down the price of hardrives:p

cattletruck
20th May 2014, 14:14
If footage of Bletchley Park code breakers appears in the film then we know the NSA has meddled with the final release.