PDA

View Full Version : Airlines on the brink?

Eurekadelta
21st May 2002, 12:53
A little bird told me that a few airlines are in less than perfect health:

After losing the postal contract jobs have supposedly gone at Titan, also the fleet size is being reduced.

Cougar; are they going to keep their passenger configured 727, or put it into freight config?

Air Holland; what is going on? Are they getting their 767 or are they in trouble?

Would appreciate any advice you can give...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

BRISTOLRE
21st May 2002, 14:24
Titan is questionable right now but nothing much being said, aircraft are always parked but bear in mind that they are an Adhoc geared airline.

Cougar doing fine, having long term contracts with key integrators in cargo market. Fleet size now contained.
Unlikely they will develop much further in size at this time.

VIKING9
21st May 2002, 15:05
I would say most airlines are counting their beans so as to survive. I even mentioned TITAN recently but the thread was taken off, probably because someone thought it was tish-tosh. Watch this space though.

I heard that Astraeus weren't doing as well as expected. Anyone wish to make comment?

Cougar very busy now that the summer is under way, flying most days of the week. What happens to the pax 727 after the summer is anyone's guess. A 737-400/800 would look good with a big cat on the side though :rolleyes:

Eurekadelta
21st May 2002, 15:43
It is interesting that nobody seems to know anything about Titan's plans to remove aircraft from their fleet...

As far as I can tell, Astraeus are doing quite a lot of flying, and seem to be doing alright. They don't want too much to do with the ad-hoc market though, probably to do with their BWA roots, and the lessons learnt there.

Puritan
21st May 2002, 21:42
Actually, here at Astraeus, we've been a bit of a victim of our own success - with veritably more work (both classic IT and ad-hoc) than you can shake a stick at - as reflected in the amount of flying hours that we're racking up - and all we can say about that is, BRILLIANT ! :D

DROGNA
23rd May 2002, 11:35
I have it on very good authority that Titan Airways have not lost any of their Royal Mail Contracts and that contrary to popular belief they are busy at present. :D

All but a very few UK airlines have had to make cuts as it is what businesses do in times such as these. It does not mean however they are in great difficulties, it means they are reacting to the market as in any other business. Loads and services maybe up but the yields are through the floor. Times are still tough for everyone and the airlines need to be leaner.

Threads like this one do little to bolster confidence in the industry. It seems there are a few individuals here who seem to revel in the hope that another company goes belly up! Wouldn't it be better to focus on the positives for a change?

:confused:

Eurekadelta
23rd May 2002, 12:59
I apologise if I am causing undue nervousness, but my career rides on the ability to rely on airlines such as Titan. Having already lost my shirt once in the last year, when BWA went belly up, I am in no hurry to repeat that experience.

I believe that this forum is the ideal arena for the discussion of such rumours, and if there are any people that can firmly deny or confirm these, then I would appreciate their opinion, as it would make my life a lot less stressful.

HugMonster
23rd May 2002, 14:24
EurekaDelta:-

I note that you don't say that you lost your job, your home, your car, livelihood etc.

Many people with BWA, Gill et al did.

Be thankful.

PPRuNe Pop
23rd May 2002, 15:52
Eurekadelta

As one with more than just a little experience of running airlines, it disturbs me to see anyone make remarks that can have a dramatic effect on the/an airline. Indeed, I have knowledge of three major airlines who immediatelay had to find cash or 'die' just because of a dropped remark or other such uttering, at the wrong time in the wrong place.

I also feel that since your concern appears to be only for yourself, the post is entirely inappropriate. You, like hundreds of others in the industry, live under a permanent cover of uncertainty a lot of the time. That is the way it is. It has been like it for 50 years or more. Nothing will change it. Be grateful you have a job.

I think I will now close the thread.