PDA

View Full Version : Special Procedure around Wilsons Promontory?

alex79
15th May 2014, 13:14
Hi

Is anybody aware of any special procedures flying around Wilson's Promontory ?

I found "Wilsons Promontory Airport" on OurAirports but can't see anything like a AD on Google Earth or on the official maps. There is just a Helicopter Landing Site (YWLP) CTAF118.3? (or 125.7) ??

If somebody has some experience in that area - I would appreciate a a tip or two.

Thanks!!

Sunfish
15th May 2014, 20:35
I'm not aware of any special procedures around the Prom apart from the Bass strait crossing procedure, but if anything goes wrong there is not much place to land except one or Two beaches. There used to be a Parks Victoria strip near Tidal river from memory, but it looked overgrown when I last saw it from the air.

Also be aware that the prevailing Westerlies make it quite turbulent to leeward if you are low enough for the scenic photoshoot.

Be aware that if you do a photo shoot of Refuge cove and continue South, you will need to be climbing at full power and be rather careful following the valley and climbing over the ridge from Waterloo bay to Norman bay.

VH-XXX
15th May 2014, 21:47
It's a nice place to fly to / around / past, particularly on a clear day which can be hard to arrange. There are no public airfields there on the actual Promontory as it is a National Park. There is a gravel firefighting only strip at the top end and there was a local operator at Yannakie doing seasonal joy flights off a grass strip but haven't heard if they are still running; if they were it would be highly unlikely in May.

Fly neighbourly and keep the usual minimums in mind plus margin for the terrain.

I've flown there dozens of times and have no idea what this means, I think Sunfish must have hit turbulence there once there in his little Sportstar :cool:

Be aware that if you do a photo shoot of Refuge cove and continue South, you will need to be climbing at full power and be rather careful following the valley and climbing over the ridge from Waterloo bay to Norman bay.

If you are experiencing these kind of issues you should invest in a larger zoom lens :ok: Norman Bay / Tidal River (the tourist area) is actually due west of Refuge Cove (Refuge is on the east side). Heading south of Refuge will take you to Waterloo Bay and past a lighthouse and other scenery such as Skull rock which is from water level an amazing sight. If you don't fly south of Tidal River you have missed part of the best scenery.

Flying between Refuge and Tidal river will take you part the highest part of the Prom, Mt Oberon and its' well known lookout.

rutan around
15th May 2014, 23:32
An experience I had in that area in 1989 convinced me that some funny things can happen when the S.E Trade Winds meet the Roaring Forties. In my Vari-Eze @ 2000ft with a TAS 135 knots the ground speed was 180knots as we went past Sale.
As we turned north at Wilson's Promotory the aircraft suddenly adopted the angle of a canoe going over a waterfall.
It then just fell for 300ft. I remember thinking that this was going too be bad when the falling stopped but as it turned out we just flew smoothly out of the bottom of the "waterfall " of air albeit 300 ft lower.Apart from needing a new pair of jocks when we got to YSCB no harm was done.
Some of the Meteorology experts on this thread might be able to explain exactly what caused the 30-45 degreenose down attitude to occur.
Cheers RA

alex79
30th Sep 2014, 03:50
Thanks for the comments! Two weeks ago we finally managed to fly down. Was a beautiful day and I decided we stay over 3000' and enjoyed 'the big picture'.

I will go there again and do some lower (lower as 3000') level flying. It's a really pretty place of earth

http://i60.tinypic.com/2nsz09u.jpg

Squawk7700
30th Sep 2014, 05:16
Your photo is of Sealers Cove. Just north of the well known Refuge Cove. I've spent many a nights sheltering from some nasty weather in Refuge Cove and to a lesser extent Sealers. Some people have been around the world and come back and said that Refuge Cove was one of the nicest places they visited. Nice and remote. Sealers is only accessible by boat or a long hike well over 10kms from Mount Oberon. Reminds me I should dust off the boat and head there over Christmas for a day or two. About an hour from Port Welshpool in your average runabout but too dangerous in something small as the weather will sink you in a flash.

kaz3g
30th Sep 2014, 11:10
There is no general procedure for the Prom but remember that there are serious penalties for approaching closer than 300m from a whale. There is a fly neighbourly policy at Kanowna Island to protect the Australian Fur Seal colony there.

Kaz

gerry111
30th Sep 2014, 11:38
Adding to Kaz's comments regarding whales:

The 'Fly Neighbourly Advice' for 'Head Of Bight' includes:

"Cruise not below 1000FT" and "Do not circle whales."

Flying over there when whales are active with their young is simply a priceless delight. :)

alex79
10th Oct 2014, 04:17
Never considered to come to close to whales in a plane. Good point though!