PDA

View Full Version : You Can't Handle the Cuteness

Mudman
15th May 2014, 12:10
Feeding an orphaned porcupette (baby porcupine) at the Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre. (CWRC)

/e0R4idwVn6U

Limeygal
15th May 2014, 12:18
Aaaah, bless :ok:

The SSK
15th May 2014, 12:38
http://www.mrsackroyd.com/images/hhog.gif

Mudman
15th May 2014, 12:50
They and their similarly pointy brethren are tricky to cuddle. The best way to do that is not at all. Even this little baby proc has quills, albeit very tiny ones, they are nonetheless just as sharp. They are very gentle creatures who prefer to run away and climb a tree rather than fight a threat. And contrary to popular belief they do not shoot their quills. In order for something or someone to be quilled they must contact the quills directly. The quills have a very small barb on the end which makes them painful to pull out of your skin.

Microscopic view of porcupine quill

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Dfy6xBVG83k/U3SpbmKiT8I/AAAAAAAAGtc/FhD8iPyC8YY/s800/559284_547990765240756_173345972_n.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-DgKBtFBzoVA/U3SpbS3DCaI/AAAAAAAAGtg/tWiXg29hSpU/s800/578120_547990781907421_714471349_n.jpg

Mac the Knife
15th May 2014, 13:09
Porcupine quills are coated with free fatty-acids which have antibiotic properties.

The story is that it's so they won't get infections when they spike themselves.

I think it is much subtler than that. When an animal has a spike encounter with a porcupine you don't want it to die, you want it to survive but remember that tangling with porcupines is not a good idea (and pass the knowledge on).

empta dolore experientia docet as the old Romans used to say

Mac

Mudman
15th May 2014, 13:21
Good points Mac
Alas some animals do not remember the encounter. Some dogs, for example, are repeat offenders or frequent flyers at clinics for getting quilled. Also quills can migrate through tissue because of the barbs they can burrow deeper. So it is pretty important you find and remove them all.

MagnusP
15th May 2014, 15:53
And of course the difference between a porcupine and a BMW is that, with the porcupine, the pricks are on the outside.

pigboat
15th May 2014, 18:51
I think it is much subtler than that. When an animal has a spike encounter with a porcupine you don't want it to die, you want it to survive but remember that tangling with porcupines is not a good idea (and pass the knowledge on).
Mac I think you're onto something. In the pre-snowmobile days where I grew up as a kid we still had sled dogs as a means of transportation in winter. Every so often the pliers had to come out to take care of a dog that had had a run in with a porky. I can't ever remember seeing the dog on the receiving end a second time, once was enough.

con-pilot
15th May 2014, 19:30
I can't ever remember seeing the dog on the receiving end a second time, once was enough.

I wish the same applied to dogs and skunks. :(

Mudman
20th May 2014, 12:41
Porc. Update: Our baby porcupine is doing well, eating lots and growing.

/watch?v=LdzwMU6DqLI