PDA

View Full Version : Cat bites dog!

uffington sb
15th May 2014, 10:08
This is one mean puddy cat. :)

BBC News - Cat saves boy from dog attack in California (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27407932)

ExSp33db1rd
15th May 2014, 10:16
Not mean - loving !! ( he protected his family )

onetrack
15th May 2014, 10:41
Seen more than one cat who had a reputation as a dog-killer. A big cat in fighting mode is all teeth and needle-sharp claws, and can do a lot of damage.

superq7
15th May 2014, 11:03
I love dogs but if that one was mine I'd have him put down in a heartbeat.

SpringHeeledJack
15th May 2014, 12:14
I wonder what made the dog act like that ? Would it have killed the kid and/or eaten him if it had gone further without the intervention of Supercat ? I'm reasonably good at reading animals and being around them, but that film leaves me scratching my head. How wonderful that the feline was there and ready to keep the child protected, it makes you think that our furry friends are just a little bit smarter than we think :)

SHJ

Fliegenmong
15th May 2014, 12:23
I wonder what made the dog act like that ?

It's Pitbull SHJ.........

onetrack
15th May 2014, 13:26
Hopefully, that dog now suffers from a severe case of Ailurophobia. :E

11Fan
15th May 2014, 13:38
In another story, it was reported the dog was put down after this. Apparently, there was a history with the dog, as well as its owner.

SpringHeeledJack
15th May 2014, 13:48
wonder what made the dog act like that ?

Point taken mr fliegs, but I've seen many examples of pit bulls and mixes thereof that seemed to be lovely decent animals. I know that it's said that no young child should be left alone with any dog as within the nature of dogs there is a hunter, but if this pit bull was actively seeking out non threatening targets it makes me wonder. Yet once challenged by a smaller, if albeit better armed feline, the pit bull ran away when I would have thought it would've just clamped down it's jaws on the fur ball :confused:

SHJ

onetrack
15th May 2014, 14:06
SHJ - Faced with an aggressive, fast-advancing, hissing, spitting furball that is all sharp teeth and flying claws, that will shred a dogs face in milliseconds - I can assure you, that 90% of dogs will turn tail and run. Where most cats make a mistake is to turn and run. A fleeing furry potential prey, is just pure joy to a dog. I've seen a dogs face, after an aggressive cat attack, sliced up like it went through a shredder. :{

jolihokistix
15th May 2014, 14:21
This event is unusual in many ways, not least because it was filmed so clearly from both sides of the car.

The cat must have been aware of the dog's approach in advance, and the mother was there in a flash too. But wow, the speed with which the cat hit the dog!

I wonder if the kid was riding on a part of the pavement that the dog considered its own home territory? Normally you cannot get a pit bull to let go once it has clamped on, but this pussy attack was so sudden and devastating that the dog let go immediately in total bewilderment!

I grew up with cats and kind of understand how they operate, but this was a real eye-opener into how much else goes on deep in that seemingly laid-back brain of theirs. A small brain, but packed with intelligence and intuitive understanding and in this case loyalty. Simply amazing. :clap:

cargosales
15th May 2014, 15:50

It's definitely not a Pitbull, but the question is very valid. It's utterly unacceptable, whatever the reason for any dog, let alone that one, to be out on the street on its own.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
15th May 2014, 16:07
Nice one, moggy! Now go deal with the shit-for-brains dog owner!

Effluent Man
15th May 2014, 16:47
Exocat!!!!

sitigeltfel
15th May 2014, 17:52

From the Daily Telegraph.......

The eight-month-old Labrador-Chow mix dog, has reportedly been surrendered by its owners to police in Bakersfield.

It was put in quarantine after the attack on Tuesday and will be destroyed.

con-pilot
15th May 2014, 18:21
The eight-month-old Labrador-Chow mix dog, has reportedly been surrendered by its owners to police in Bakersfield.

It was put in quarantine after the attack on Tuesday and will be destroyed.

An eight month old puppy.

The wrong party is in quarantine, this was not the fault of the puppy, but its owners. They should be banned from ever owning another pet, even a gold fish.

A few months in the county lockup wouldn't hurt either. Or better yet, force the owners to work at the local animal shelter cleaning out the cages for a few months.

11Fan
15th May 2014, 18:58
The wrong party is in quarantine

Bad news for the dog.

Frankly, I think six months of Community Service for the Pooch at the local Dog Park, explaining to the other dogs how he got his ass kicked by a cat would be punishment enough.

ricardian
15th May 2014, 19:17
Cats are very clever these days

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-05/enhanced/webdr03/6/14/anigif_enhanced-buzz-11350-1399399476-13.gif

TomJoad
15th May 2014, 19:27
Not a big cat lover but I want to shake that moggy's paw. Watching the video first horrified and angry but when the cat steams in and gives the dog a right shoeing the spirit soars. There is something deeply moving about an animal coming to the aid of a human, especially a child - touches the soul. I remember how our wee Westie was protective of our girls. Imagine what that cat could do if it had opposable thumbs.

david1300
16th May 2014, 07:56
An amazing event - so much wrong (the untrained dog, roaming free etc) and so much gratification when the cat zapped in. I truly feel sorry for the dog, but if it isn't trained and supervised and it has attacked (and it really did attack on purpose) then it is probably best dealt with by "the authorities".

alicopter
16th May 2014, 11:27
Amazing footage! I had a brawl with a fairly inebriated farrier (whose methods he used with my horse I did not approve of...) once... and when things got down to punches, my fox terrier friend went for his throat like a demented fur(r)y and I had trouble getting him off this guy's back who soon sobered up and left, quite bleeding and shaken.... Never heard a word from him or the police since... and they would have had to kill me before dealing badly with my dog...

Boudreaux Bob
16th May 2014, 11:37
For Years here, Cat Owners have been telling Cat Haters there is far more to a Feline than dug up flower beds and Mouse guts on your door step. The Video proves us correct.

Now it would appear there are some other Haters amongst us.....those who automatically accuse every dog that attacks a Human of being Pit Bulls.

In this Case the dark spirited Chow overwhelmed the loving nature of the Labador Retriever in the mixed breed dog that attacked the Child.

Chow's are well known to be very territorial and aggressive in defending what they take to be their home ground.

Cats too have a Territory and also bond with selected Humans.

Gosh, But I love that Cat in the Video.

rh200
16th May 2014, 11:43
Cats are well known to be extremely smart.
When you get a cat, remember, you are its pet.

Cats as fighters, as someone mentioned, the mistakes cats make is when they turn. A confident cat is a formidable foe, they [email protected]#$ with snakes. They are extremely fast and thats a good equalizer with most dogs.

That said particular breeds of dogs are psyco and extremely powerful, and getting scratched up won't bother them a bit. Another words dogs like pig dogs and pitbulls when their in full agro mode won't be bothered by a cat at all. (domestic cat).

GrumpyOldFart
16th May 2014, 13:58
Gosh, But I love that Cat in the Video.

I thought for a moment that you said "I like cat in vindaloo."

Oops.

RatherBeFlying
16th May 2014, 15:37
Somebody's homeowner insurance will be making a substantial liability payout. The homeowner's insurance company will either cancel or jack up the premiums.

The lab/chow mix looks like bad news. Everybody with pups out of that litter needs to think long and hard about training and proper control.

Cats get pretty ferocious defending their young. It seems this cat adopted this family and took to sleeping with the boy when he was a baby -- ergo the boy is her kitten.

I hear the cat has been invited to throw the first pitch for the local ball team. She'd probably be happier being left at home.

500N
16th May 2014, 16:08
Am not a great fan of cats but that is very funny indeed.

Good on the cat !!!

onetrack
17th May 2014, 02:48
The cat's decided, next time a dog gets nasty, she'll get serious ...

http://oi57.tinypic.com/339u72a.jpg

svhar
17th May 2014, 03:29
My best friend was a blind cat, brought by my ex-wife, along with two dogs and and a female cat. And some birds.

The blind cat was the cleverest of them all. I cried buckets when he died. An airline captain crying because of a cat.

ExSp33db1rd
17th May 2014, 04:28
An airline captain crying because of a catYes, some barsteward shot ours. Never did find out who. We'd taken his Mother in as an abandoned kitten, and transported him Internationally when we moved to NZ. He was a very 'vocal' cat, and of course he had to travel as an "unaccompanied animal" and when we went to collect him from the cargo section, the Imm. Hofficer said " get that cat outta here, he's driving us all mad ! "

Solid Rust Twotter
17th May 2014, 05:33
Owner of the dog should be put down. That level of aggression from the dog tells me there's something else going on that the owner is responsible for.

Punishing the dog for being something the owner has made him into is not right. Got a rescue dachs who is still paranoid and a bit bitey from the ill treatment he received. He's a really nice bloke though and any nips I get go on a shit list for when I can find the name and address of the person who did this to him. No one will supply me with those details because they know I have a low tolerance for those who ill treat animals.

...And I'm a cnut.

AtomKraft
17th May 2014, 16:38
Respect to that Cat.

Wonderful animals, and a better friend to a human than many folk will ever realise. :ok:

OFSO
17th May 2014, 18:17
there was a history with the dog, as well as its owner.

Would it have taken any more effort to put the owner down as well as the dog ? Needed doing !

airship
17th May 2014, 18:44
Unless I'm much mistaken, Exocat!!!!, as Effluent Man called it, is a female cat.

In my own experience over the past 20 years, all my own female cats were extremely territorial (even having been sterilised). She decided who would be allowed to tresspass, having more acceptance of "fully-intact" and "un-neutered" males entering than any sterilised males or females. Having said that, "pudi" eventually accepted "grey" (a neutered male) to share our (my) territory. And "quitaime" readily accepted the young sterilised female cat "grey kitten" (completely wild) who she was able to train to become a real "domestic cat", before she herself succombed to a brain-tumour just a few months later.

We all mostly ignore, the aptitudes and abilities of our 21st century pets. Or the way important bonds are made between us. I feel very sorry for the doggie involved. I think a few months spent living with a responsible owner would "cure" that doggie of most bad behaviour.

Alas, we don't even allow human-beings that priviledge nowadays, so what hope for this doggie...?! :sad:

AtomKraft
17th May 2014, 18:53
Airship.
So true.
My own cat (we have 4 total), "Christmas Eve" is the single most purposeful creature I have ever encountered. She's a neutered female.

To be at her mercy, usually means a slow death.

Otoh, can be so gentle.

Otoh, tried to kill her kittens, my eldest daughter and anyone else she could get her hooks in, once.

No mean kitten, and another ginge.

Ginger females are unusual, no bad thing really.

ruddman
17th May 2014, 18:54
Imagine though if she never came to the rescue. Maybe the dog may not have given up so easy or attacked the mum. Scary thought.

Brave cat. Deserves the keys to the city!!

And the owner needs a massive fine and should be banned from animal ownership.

Feel sorry for the dog. :(

AtomKraft
17th May 2014, 19:07
Hey Rudd.
We have fish in our pond named after you!

ruddman
17th May 2014, 19:10
Aww....so cute!!

I bet its a cute fish? :ok:

Why aren't you in your missile thread? :D

airship
17th May 2014, 19:25
AtomKraft wrote: My own cat (we have 4 total), "Christmas Eve" is the single most purposeful creature I have ever encountered. She's a neutered female...
...Otoh, tried to kill her kittens, my eldest daughter and anyone else she could get her hooks in, once.

Please excuse my confusion: "Christmas Eve" is a neutered female, who tried to kill her kittens...?! :confused:

Boudreaux Bob
17th May 2014, 21:12
Eve sounds like my Ex-Wife.

AtomKraft
17th May 2014, 21:31
airship.

Pound for pound, Christmas Eve is the most efficient and bad tempered killer I've ever looked after.

Also, the cat with the most to say and the weirdest variety of sounds I've ever heard from a cat.

Writing, as her proud, but most respectful "owner".

In my opinion, a healthy relationship with an animal endures between she and I.
In no way, could I claim to be her boss.

Edit. Airship, she tried her best to kill them, we saved the kittens. Then she was neutered. She was only trying to kill them so she could get preg. again.

Guess it's a girl thing.

Anyone who's seen a cat in full on mode will understand....

con-pilot
17th May 2014, 23:20
Airship, she tried her best to kill them, we saved the kittens

We've only had one cat become pregnant, a stray we rescued, but the Vet. guessed her age wrong and guess what, the little slut got pregnant.

My wife actually cooked meals for her, gave her milk, fresh frickin tuna and treated her like she was a queen.

After she had the litter, she took excellent care of her kitties and while she was a very small cat, her kittens are now huge cats. We ended up with a brother and a sister, both of them huge, indoor/outdoor cats.

Course the way my wife pampered and feed them when they were kittens, I'm sure had nothing to do with it.

A A Gruntpuddock
18th May 2014, 00:24
Our loony cat used to sit on the front window ledge next to the front door where she could watch her world.

One day I heard a very loud dogfight on the road outside and saw the cat jumping down.

Assuming she wanted in I went to open the door; no cat, no dogfight!

Looked on the road to see the cat washing herself and a laughing neighbour.

Apparently the dogs were really going at when the cat ran down the path and launched herself into the fight!

Don't know whether the dogs were scared or just surprised but they bolted off in different directions.

Boudreaux Bob
18th May 2014, 02:20
While trying to convince Missy Kitty to come to Dinner....and as Cats are required to do....play coy....I heard another Cat meowing. Quick inventory....Sissy was on the Deck Railing, Scoots was down in the lower garden looking for Copperhead Snakes (Pit Vipers) to fetch home, and Commodore Frady was perched on the Wall doing some sound echo ranging. Thus, it appeared there was a strange Cat in the Woods adjacent to the Commodore's Garden.

Being the quick thinking Sod that I am....I fetched my .22 Caliber Colt 1911 Pistol....and sallied forth to run said Cat off as I am weary of keeping my local Veterinarian in riches repairing the Commodore's Battle Wounds. I figure some .22 shells are far cheaper....well barely cheaper anymore....than the Vet Fees.

About the time I was to sound my Percussion signaling device....I realized Missy and Scoots were tagging along with me and the Commodore as we were about to gang up on the intruder.

Last time I shot the handgun....dispatching a Opossum from the Deck....Scoots howled like she had been shot and not Opie....so I had to run the girls off to a safe distance.

I finally got the right angle and distance on the big ol' Gray Tomcat that was causing the problem....aimed square between his eyes....shifted a few feet to one side...and torched off a Round. Last seen was the Tomcat doing a low running dash across the neighbors garden with Commodore Frady in very hot pursuit.

Frady, who I have taken to calling "Kingfish", due to his recent onset of assertiveness....has learned how the game is played when I deploy what has become a Starter's Pistol for kicking off Cat Pursuits.

Shall we say, Kingfish enjoys the Home Team Advantage provided by the moral support of his girls and my granting a certain psychological advantage to him when the bright light, thunderclap. and lightning happens.

tdracer
18th May 2014, 03:34
I'm a long time 'dog person' - my family always had a dog while I was growing up, and one of the primary reasons I bought my house was so I could have a fenced yard and have a dog....
Never had a cat, have no desire to ever have one. But there are lots of cats in the neighborhood - I've often seen our dog chase one of them. Normally the cat, being quicker and more nimble, will easily escape - no harm/no foul. But on rare occasion our dog manages to corner a cat - as soon as the cat turns and confronts the dog with bared claws, the dog doesn't want to have anything to do with it. Chasing is fun, catching - not so much :E

Kudos to that cat - protecting the family. He (or she) is a credit to cats everywhere :D. The dogs owner should face jail time - if the dog was truly 8 months that would taken some serious mistreatment to create that sort of behavior in a puppy :sad:

AtomKraft
18th May 2014, 06:41
Christmas Eve growls like a dog.

Only an idiot messes with her, although she lets her pal....:ok:

airship
21st May 2014, 19:11
According to this BBC report (http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-27486244), this NZ pudicat brought home something more valuable than yer average dead mouse or bird: The worried owner, who has not been identified, apparently rang the authorities in Dunedin on the county's South Island after she found the bag with 5g (0.2oz) of cannabis inside.

I wouldn't have bothered (calling the authorities) if that was my pudicat. If a male cat and "intact", I'd make sure he had as many female cats as he'd wish to have available to copulate with and reproduce his qualities. I'd soon become a millionaire I reckon, selling the kittens off @ US$ 500 a throw, which would be reasonable (buyer collects).

PS. Yeah, as if I'd do that to a pudicat's kittens...?! I gave up smoking (marijuana baaaaaccck in 1978) too ;)

500N
21st May 2014, 19:15
GF told me she used to have a cat that would take on dogs, even German Shephards !!!

airship
21st May 2014, 19:46
Hey?! Having read this BBC report (http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27499595) about the FBI: The FBI has reportedly said it is "grappling with the question" of whether to hire cybersecurity experts who use cannabis.

All the FBI needs maybe is for their wannabe cannabis crack-heads to personally adopt some of the offspring from that NZ marijuana cat. That way, the FBI can claim to be completely ignorant (but we already knew that they were/are pretty ignorant)...?! :ok: