PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going on Safari?

parabellum
15th May 2014, 07:34
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/Omark44/RhinoPoachers_zps8f58b592.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Omark44/media/RhinoPoachers_zps8f58b592.jpg.html)

tony draper
15th May 2014, 07:40
This would be a good sign to stick on your vehicle as well.:)
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/second%20album/1016711_593887304024511_710069092_n_zps77fbeb45.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/Deaddogbay/media/second%20album/1016711_593887304024511_710069092_n_zps77fbeb45.jpg.html)

500N
15th May 2014, 07:43
I like it :ok:

Someone I know was on Safari and were shot at by poachers.
All hell broke loose and the Gov't guard shot one of the poachers.

They vacated the area bloody quickly and went far away, not only
to get away from the poachers but any fall out from authorities !

lonkmu
15th May 2014, 10:14
This is the first time I have seen this done and it fascinates me that three guys working together as one can chase 15 hungry lions off their kill. Action begins at 2 minutes in.

BBC - Men stealing meat from lions. - YouTube

parabellum
15th May 2014, 14:10
Be good if anyone with pictures or clips that might help conservation of endangered species posted here. Too easy for this thread to slip into oblivion if people don't post! :)

500N
15th May 2014, 14:17
Para

Give them some value !

I really do like that testicles poster.

I said a while ago I thought they should spread rumours around that use of Rhino horn causes some subtle desease, lowers IQ in future generations AND makes people have girls instead of boys !!!

Exascot
15th May 2014, 15:16
Injecting cyanide into the horns of rhinos doesn't do them any harm. But it does to the ground down horn 'end' user in China who thinks that this will improve his performance. We should at least say that we are doing this in Africa.

MagnusP
15th May 2014, 15:43
Exascot, sadly it matters not one whit to the poaching lowlife who couldn't care less about the oriental end-user, a bit like the heroin dealer who cuts the drug with anything to boost the profit. They'll keep killing these animals until word gets back that customers are dying but, sadly, there will always be new customers. :(

500N
15th May 2014, 15:47
Agree. It's a good idea but they will still kill the Rhino and then find out it's been injected.

MagnusP
15th May 2014, 15:51
We could always cut out the middle man (rhino) and just inject it directly into those who fuel this vile trade.

500N
15th May 2014, 15:53
Start with the corrupt officials who let the horn get exported !

Many, many levels involved.

North Shore
15th May 2014, 20:33
Does the horn serve any useful purpose to the Rhino itself? Why not just hunt and dart the rhinos, cut off their horns, and then the Rhino can go free, slightly disfigured, but useless to a poacher...

(Not the most ideal, or elegant of solutions, I must admit..)

500N
15th May 2014, 20:38
They do to some, but one of the problems is the danger to the animal
from the dart / chemical.

They are also extremely dangerous, more so than most of the top 5.

With some of the big elephants that were around, they put an armed guard on them that used to follow the animal. The Elephant got used to the guards and realized they were there for good, not bad. You can't do this with Rhino,
unless you want the guards killed :rolleyes:

Haraka
15th May 2014, 20:50
Why not just hunt and dart the rhinos, cut off their horns, and then the Rhino can go free, slightly disfigured, but useless to a poacher...
Seemingly a good suggestion and it was tried in S.A.
Regrettably those de-horned Rhinos were still slaughtered by poachers, to remove them from the still remaining stock of horned animals and thus not "waste" tracking and shooting expeditions.
Growing herds of rhinos in captivity to harvest the horns has also been looked at as an option.
The last Rhino to die outside of a zoo may have already been born.

tony draper
15th May 2014, 22:01
The other solution of course would be to kill all the Chinese.:rolleyes:

Capetonian
15th May 2014, 22:20
That would solve many of central and southern Africa's problems.

lonkmu
16th May 2014, 10:29
Excerpt from an interview with a good mate who started the Chipembere Rhino Foundation after losing two breeding bulls to poachers in his game reserve. This is a very good cause

South Africa:

From 2000 until 2007, a total of 120 rhino were poached. Then, we saw a massive acceleration in 2008 that continues unabated:
2008: 83 rhino
2009: 122 rhino
2010: 333 rhino
2011: 448 rhino
2012: 668 rhino
2013: 1,004 rhino
With 2013 poaching stats passing the 1000-rhino poached mark we can conclude that we are on the brink of a “tipping” point. This means that we are about to lose more rhino than what are been born. The gestation period for a rhino is aprox. 16 months. The interval between calving can be 3-4 years depending on conditions.
Then, the complexity of illegal wildlife trade and the intricacies of the web of criminality involved from corrupt governments, law enforcement, reserve staff and down to the desperate unemployed population to the syndicates and kingpins all make rhino poaching very hard to stop!

http://www.endangeredrag.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/CRF-FACE-TO-FACE.pdf

Haraka
16th May 2014, 10:55
This means that we are about to lose more rhino than what are been born.

Looking at those figures, I think that might well have happened 2012/3 according to some sources.

Exascot
17th May 2014, 09:25
In Botswana we are doing really well with our rhino programme particularly in the Delta. They are brought in and relocated secretly. The feeling in the industry is that disfiguring these beautiful animals is not the way forward. Increased patrols with permission to kill poachers on sight is working to a certain degree.

500N, they have to be sedated to be moved and I do not know of a death yet due to this. When lightly sedated they sometimes walk them guiding them by their horns to their new home :eek:

lonkmu, it is thanks to SA that we have more rhino now. We now have a breeding programme as well, from their stock. The agreement being that we hand back a few eventually to stop inbreeding down south.

airship
17th May 2014, 20:53
Unless I'm much mistaken FL, this thread is mainly about the interests of the protection of endangered critters. You're obviously not one of them (given your profession). How many poachers have you yourself defended in the courts (or more interestingly, your brethren)?!

500N
17th May 2014, 21:35
Fl

I am a bit confused. The point of your lion photos was ?

Flying Lawyer
17th May 2014, 21:58
Pics deleted.

I thought I was responding to the subject of the thread.
My mistake.
Wildlife pics taken on safari now deleted.

airship
17th May 2014, 22:03
Didn't bother answering the question though...?! :ugh:

Flying Lawyer
18th May 2014, 10:10
Didn't bother answering the question though...?! :ugh:

I have never defended (or prosecuted) a poacher, nor do I know personally anyone who has.

That's not surprising because I have always been based in London (UK) where there are few (if any) prosecutions for poaching and my involvement in civil cases in other parts of the world has, with one exception, related exclusively to aviation matters.
The exception which had nothing to do with aviation was representing a Hollywood actor who claimed and received damages for injuries sustained whilst 'flying' (in the studio) during the making of Superman II.

FL