PDA

View Full Version : Golden Key International Honour Society

Mac the Knife
14th May 2014, 20:12
Golden Key International Honour Society

Anyone know anything about this? Is it kosher?

Any hidden right-wing/religious nutjob associations?

Thanks!

Mac

:confused:

Limeygal
14th May 2014, 20:19
I belonged to it when I graduated university. If you were an honour student they offered membership. I never really pursued it after I graduated because they didn't really seem to be offering anything I could use. Can't remember if there was a fee or not. Can't say I ever felt the loss of not continuing the membership! Probably just a moneymaker for them

con-pilot
14th May 2014, 20:20
Never heard of it.

But then again, I don't get out much anymore. :p

But I'll look it up.

Limeygal
14th May 2014, 20:23
Just remembered, the only thing I ever got from them was a long gold cord with tassels on the end that I could wear with my cap & gown at graduation. I seem to remember there were quite a few gold tassels about. If there was a fee, it probably wasn't much as I wouldn't have forked it over.

Golden Key International Honour Society - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Key_International_Honour_Society)

tony draper
14th May 2014, 20:23
Heard of the Golden Rivet Society awful lot of the great and good appear to be members of that.
I blame the Public Schools.:rolleyes:

con-pilot
14th May 2014, 20:26
Well that didn't take long.

From what I could discover, I don't see anything like "Any hidden right-wing/religious nutjob associations?"

Just the opposite actually.

If you were an honour student they offered membership

Ah, now I know why I never heard of it. :p

At university I only did what the minimum that was required. :\

Tankertrashnav
14th May 2014, 21:20
Serious question - what is an honour student?

In the British system virtually all students graduate "with honours" which range from first, through upper and lower second, to third class. A very small percentage get what is called a "pass" degree, which basically means "You failed - but we quite liked you!"

I'm guessing "honour student" means something else.

TTN (BA [Hons] Exon) ;)

Limeygal
14th May 2014, 21:35
For degrees over here it varies. Cum laude=with honour, magna cum laude=with high honor, summa cum laude=with highest honour. Generally speaking you have to achieve at least 3.something out of 4.0 to get an honours degree. Summa is a perfect score, 4.0, straight A's. Magna=3.8. (I might be a bit off with these numbers-it's been a while.)

Tankertrashnav
15th May 2014, 23:02
Thanks, Limeygal

cattletruck
16th May 2014, 09:46
I recently worked with an Indonesian girl who was a Golden Key Society member. Not only was she smart, pretty, personable and fun, she actually cried when I was given the sack.

To be honest, even though I used to rib her about having a Golden Key, unlike the rest of us plebs, she never took it too seriously. I guess they aren't all that bad.

Mac the Knife
16th May 2014, 11:29
Thanks for all the info folks - from my reading, the really top grade people don't need it but it may help those a step lower down the ladder.

Muchas gracias!

Mac

:)

Keef
16th May 2014, 12:06
It can't be much good. They didn't offer it to me. But then, I'm in England.