PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Young Man

Alloa Akbar
14th May 2014, 12:15
As brave and remarkable a young man as you will ever see..

BBC News - Fundraiser Stephen Sutton dies at 19 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27408818)

An example and inspiration, RIP Stephen

:(

beaufort1
14th May 2014, 12:20
I've just been reading about this. An inspiration to us all. :ok:

I hope the :mad: who were slagging him off on twatter and faceache claiming he wasn't seriously ill are thoroughly ashamed of themselves. :suspect:

Cyber Bob
14th May 2014, 12:23
Beaufort - you beat me to it

Brave chap indeed :D - God Speed Fella

Capetonian
14th May 2014, 12:25
He has certainly left his mark in the best possible way. What a sad ending though. RIP.

TBirdFrank
14th May 2014, 12:28
They talk about men in a hurry - he had to be!

SpringHeeledJack
14th May 2014, 12:56
It is indeed sad that he has met his demise so quickly after being allowed home in the last 2 weeks. I did wonder after the "Call me Dave" photo call (which I found very distasteful) that when the newspapers claimed that he was in remission and going home that perhaps something wasn't right. At least he got to be with his family at home for a while and I'm sure that that was good for the family in the difficult circumstances.

All the miscreants and ne'er-do-wells who live to a ripe old age and here another good person leaves the scene well before time. It makes you wonder sometimes :hmm:

SHJ

sitigeltfel
14th May 2014, 13:09
I did wonder after the "Call me Dave" photo call (which I found very distasteful)

Many might find your comment distasteful for trying to make a political point out of this tragedy. Stephen had a bucket list, of which one item was to make a speech from Downing St.
He was disappointed that the PM couldn't be there on the day he visited so Cameron did the next best thing and visted him in hospital. Stephen was too ill to travel by then.

Almost as bad as the trolls who claimed his illness was fake.

Seldomfitforpurpose
14th May 2014, 13:15
Many might find your comment distasteful for trying to make a political point out of this tragedy. Stephen had a bucket list, of which one item was to make a speech from Downing St.
He was disappointed that the PM couldn't be there on the day he visited so Cameron did the next best thing and visted him in hospital. Stephen was too ill to travel by then.

Not forgetting the extra revenue the pictures with the PM would have no doubt generated as this fine young man tried to fill his bucket list.

I agree entirely with the highlighted text, that small minded attitude is at the heart of much that is wrong in the UK today.

JEM60
14th May 2014, 18:21
Damn!. I survived my three year term with bowel [colon] cancer. I left hospital after my fourth operation, last December, fully cured {I hope!] but with an overwhelming feeling of guilt as to why I had survived when far, far ,better people than I succumbed to this disease. My guilt has now returned. Farewell, young man, you were an example to everybody.

SpringHeeledJack
14th May 2014, 19:17

I didn't realise that the Prime Minister was invited by him personally to the bedside and just saw DC doing his seemingly constant gurning with the proletariat. There was no political element to my comment, only the distaste of any politician who surfs on the successes of others, or in this sad case the good that has come out of the poor chap's misfortune. When I read in several UK papers the day after DC's visit that the chap was in a miraculous remission and had gone home, I was both happily surprised and disconcerted due to close experience.

SHJ

glad rag
14th May 2014, 19:23
Chin up mate! :D

critter592
14th May 2014, 20:13
RIP Stephen.

You achieved more in the few short years you were on this Earth than most of us do in a lifetime.

You will never be forgotten.

God Speed, young man.

Tankertrashnav
14th May 2014, 20:34
Cancer is doubly tragic when it hits the young, as it seems to rip through them at such a rate.

I feel a little like JEM 60 - I had mine 9 years ago. I've been clear since and apparently after 10 years I will have no more chance of getting cancer than someone who has never had it

Seems most unfair when I see a young man like this - and yet I expect I'll continue to arse around doing very little when I could be taking his actions as an inspiration.

RIP

racedo
14th May 2014, 22:13
Reminds me of the Buckers lad from a few years ago.

anotherthing
15th May 2014, 06:34
Jem and TTN,

Don't feel guilty of that it is unfair it is just the lottery of life. Stephen was an inspiration to lots of people, none more so than a very good friend of mine who has terminal stomach cancer at the age of 41 with three children in his life.

He has hung on beyond expectations but knows the end is inevitable. He has been in contact with a lot of other cancer sufferers in his quest to find ways to lenghten his time on earth to spend more time with his children and give them happy memories. This past few months have seen a lot of his contact die, which he obviously finds depressing.

He 'followed' Stephen once the story hit the papers and was overjoyed when he seemed to go into remmission. Unfortunately, from experience, a lot of terminal sufferers seem to turn a corner and appear to get slightly better then pass away. Horrible strange disease.

Don't feel guilty that you are survivors just feel thankful and glad, as I am sure you do :ok:

edtied to add: His justgiving page continues to grow... now at over 3.5M. What a legacy from a brave young man

https://www.justgiving.com/stephen-sutton-tct

G-CPTN
16th Sep 2014, 09:55
BBC News - Stephen Sutton: 5m charity fund plan revealed (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-29210431)

G-CPTN
11th Nov 2014, 22:56
Stephen Sutton?s mother Jane Sutton receives his MBE in ?bitter-sweet? moment | Metro News (http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/11/stephen-suttons-mother-receives-his-mbe-in-bitter-sweet-moment-4944782/)