PDA

View Full Version : So.....I had a puke

Fliegenmong
14th May 2014, 11:38
..or an 'up and under' (Chunder), or I 'drove the porcelain bus',....whatever you wish to call it...it's horrible! I really hate it!

As a kid I hated it, remember thinking that grown ups don't vomit, and that was the main reason I wanted to grow up!!

Alas no...utterly excessive alcohol consumption led to many events, and of course the unfortunate case of a 'bug' or whatever...

Monday night was the last time I threw up, and it was because I think (know) I pushed myself too hard.....and I have never done that before...

An hour of very strenuous group workout, finishing with a set of shuttle (suicide) runs......my partner for the night and I were a nose in front, and on the third set, I kept going right out the Gym to the bathrooms, Dry Retching all the way..... :{:{

When back inside and composed...some of our group thought that was 'cool'
:confused:

Takan Inchovit
14th May 2014, 11:45
So, what's for dinner then?

Ancient Mariner
14th May 2014, 11:58
Liver Tartar! Add an extra egg yolk.

I am sorry to say that I have always found people suffering from sea sickness amusing.
(Said he who can't remember the last time he puked, and never from too much alcohol.)
Per

mikedreamer787
14th May 2014, 12:34
A full-on upchuck is Nature's way of
giving you the finger when you have
attended a fantastic party and took
advantage of all the great food and
buckets of booze.

And gout is Nature's signal to never
ever have such a great time again... :*

cattletruck
14th May 2014, 12:38
It's projectile vomit that you really have to worry about.

500N
14th May 2014, 12:39
Ancient

Then you would love me on a boat !

From a kid fishing for Mackeral to Navy Patrol Boats, I was sick on them
- much to the amusement of my troops who wondered whether I was "up to it" so to speak !!!!

That was until we off loaded the Zodiac's and I got in them, then I was fine,
regardless of how rough it was :ok:

All good fun :ok:

lomapaseo
14th May 2014, 13:09
From a kid fishing for Mackeral to Navy Patrol Boats, I was sick on them
- much to the amusement of my troops who wondered whether I was "up to it" so to speak !!!!

That was until we off loaded the Zodiac's and I got in them, then I was fine,
regardless of how rough it was

It's all in your point of view

If you can throw up below your feet ... you will

If your feet are near even with your body mass you wont puke

now go back out and try it :E

Ancient Mariner
14th May 2014, 13:35
500N, yup, I probably would. :E
Funny thing is, when we did some abandon ship training we had to jump into inflatable life rafts before being hoisted to the (relative) safety of helicopters. All participants were weathered sailors with at least 5 years of service, but most with much more. One hour literary sitting on the waves had most green around the gills and offering to Ægir. My experience from small fishing vessels Up North came in handy.
Per

Fliegenmong
14th May 2014, 14:15
OK you clowns....answer the question posed to you! Have you ever made yourself ill (thrown up) by way of your health and fitness regime??

Ancient Mariner
14th May 2014, 14:27
No, never.
Per

driftdown
14th May 2014, 14:35
I am sure I read an interview with one of the 2012 UK Olympics Gold rowing medal winners that the reason the cameras do not immediately point towards the winning boat is that they maybe hurling over the side.

Many years ago when in my 20's, our gym club hosted a weekend of circuit training / outside running with a top London rugby club. We had only been going an hour on the first day when some found the need to retire to open space to compose themselves. They were apparently told to lay of the booze the night before so I can only presume it was the quality and intensity of training that caused the upset :}

Capetonian
14th May 2014, 14:41
I am sorry to say that I have always found people suffering from sea sickness amusing. I am fortunate in that I've never suffered from seasickness but the sight and smell of people throwing up on a ship, specially in a confined space, has sometimes brought me close to doing the same.

I can't remember the last time I parked a tiger, and it certainly wasn't from over-indulgence in alcohol.

Tankertrashnav
14th May 2014, 16:46
Only suffered from motion sickness twice - one in a closed in multi-liferaft where all five of us puked in turn, and on the other occasion in an armoured personnel carrier bouncing around on Salisbury Plain, again closed in. If I can see a horizon I am ok

Fliegenmong - to answer your question - my health and fitness regime involves getting up to switch the tv off rather than using the standby button on the controller.

So far it hasnt made me vomit ;)

500N
14th May 2014, 16:56
AM

I am the same. Small vessels like dive boats, I am the same, sick as.

Fliegs
Yes, I have. one of the 15km marches I did on a selection course.
Not sure if it was just physical or worry / stress as well (being a
selection course !) Can't think of any others.

I dry reach for other reasons though.

Takan Inchovit
14th May 2014, 22:44
Succumbed once in my life, at school after a phys ed. period. I was coming down with a 'bug' at the time. Managed to do a colourful five fingered fountain over my mates before successfully aiming at the nearby garden on the way out of the gym.

Usually irregular high physical exertion brings on a flu type symptom for a few days afterwards.

acbus1
15th May 2014, 09:52
You haven't lived (or do I mean died?) until your system has violently rejected a vindaloo.

Whetever you do and wherever it goes, try, with all the control you can muster, not to let any get up your nose. Breathing in and out in order to sustain life is a negligible priority in comparison.

Ancient Mariner
15th May 2014, 10:22
500N: I am the same. Small vessels like dive boats, I am the same, sick as.

The only time I have been close to sea sick was when going by barca from near Coron in the Philippines to Apo Reef for drift diving. Had a fairly heavy evening the day before competing with my SiL in the "Seven Shots in Seven Seconds" race. Starting veeeery early in the morning and it was a 5 hour trip in long, heavy swells. Outriggers is a good thing. The cold beer on the return trip....:E
Per

david1300
16th May 2014, 08:58
This belongs on FaceBook, not JB - didn't you know:} And, BTW, without pictures, it didn't happen ;):p
..or an 'up and under' (Chunder), or I 'drove the porcelain bus',....whatever you wish to call it...it's horrible! I really hate it!

As a kid I hated it, remember thinking that grown ups don't vomit, and that was the main reason I wanted to grow up!!

Alas no...utterly excessive alcohol consumption led to many events, and of course the unfortunate case of a 'bug' or whatever...

Monday night was the last time I threw up, and it was because I think (know) I pushed myself too hard.....and I have never done that before...

An hour of very strenuous group workout, finishing with a set of shuttle (suicide) runs......my partner for the night and I were a nose in front, and on the third set, I kept going right out the Gym to the bathrooms, Dry Retching all the way..... :{:{

When back inside and composed...some of our group thought that was 'cool'
:confused:

cattletruck
16th May 2014, 09:36
I caught the Bucabus (funny name for a catamaran built in Tasmania) from Barcelona to Majorca during a thunderstorm. I started getting real queasy so I moved about the cabin looking for a spot with the least sway/roll/pitch. The temptation to hurl was at a hairs trigger which was further complicated by the toilet sewerage spilling into the lounge areas. Eventually I found the sweet spot - sitting on the window shelf right above the starboard engine. I survived the trip without chucking.

Flegs, I reckon the physical overexertion just compounded an existing stomach problem on the day, nothing more.

probes
16th May 2014, 09:43
OK, Mr. Mariner, good to know someone is amused by people like me... I can't even read in a bus or follow the map in a car - I get sick. The anti-seasickness recipe for me is either to stay put as close to the captain's post up there (outside, of course) or fall asleep as soon as possible somewhere down there. :sad:

Solid Rust Twotter
16th May 2014, 12:30
OK you clowns....answer the question posed to you! Have you ever made yourself ill (thrown up) by way of your health and fitness regime??

No. Army did that for me. Rushed lunch, bundled outside and made to run carrying a pole and a couple of old tyres until lunch was deposited on yourself, your oppos and nearby geography. Puking on the run while carrying large loads has little going for it, in case anyone is dumb enough to try.

No wonder I avoided exercise and camping like the plague since getting out.

oldpax
16th May 2014, 14:07
I worked in a pub(while in the RAF) in Cambridge and had the misfortune of being behind the bar while a "King street run"was in progress ,this was very interesting as we were about the fifth/sixth pub and a pint had to be consumed in each in a given time.If you completed the run without a pee or puke you received a tie with a crown on,if you peed then you got a green crown for each one and if you puked you got a yellow crown for each one .I was impressed by the number of female referees who had the gold crown only tie!!Some of our pilot students(Oakington)tried but obviously had not done an exersise regime.Wonder if its still done?

11Fan
16th May 2014, 17:03
In our household, they are called “Technicolor Yawns.”

Solid Rust Twotter
16th May 2014, 19:37
Of course, the other trigger is the sight and smell of the technicolour yodel itself. 64 troops, heavily laden, and their despatchers in the back of a Herc tooling around at low level in the bumps is bound to set off one of them. That's the trigger for a gorefest of Brobdingnagian proportions when the rest of the load errr... unload.

Trying to stand up and stay on your feet, then move to the door in turbulence with lots of low level manoeuvering on a deck slippery with diced carrots and tomato skins is an experience that doesn't need repeating.:}

ruddman
16th May 2014, 20:01

Been close. Chose a curry pie as a pre-work out snack, which also involved heavy squatting.

Bad idea. :\

Clowns? Clowns!! Welcome to pprune. Home of the peanut gallery. :}

500N
16th May 2014, 20:07
SRT

What about the Caribou - low level or high level ?

That was a sure way of making someone sick. Smudge had a name for it
but can't remember what it was - tail ????? something.

Ascend Charlie
16th May 2014, 23:52

While undergoing the Initial Training Course for the NSW Police, us trainees were required to run, run, run everywhere. One of the training routes took us from the police academy (known as the Copper Refinery!) through to Moore Park, where there was a steep hill called Breakfast Hill. We soon found out that this hill was usually covered in breakfast after scrambling up and down it for an hour.

I was the oldest person on the course at 32, most of the kids were 19 or 20, so my legs gave out well before I felt any need to deposit my cornflakes. So, to answer the question, NO, I have never been silly enough to abuse my body so much that I had a loaded laugh.:ok:

500N
17th May 2014, 00:09
I was watching the YouTube video of the 50plus year old reporter who did the Royal Marines course and earned his honorary green beret. He looked like he had a few pukes bug he did a Stirling job to "pass"

Solid Rust Twotter
17th May 2014, 06:04
Never jumped the Caribou, Mr N. Got a few Dak dives though. Very low wing loading so all the bumps are felt when operating at low level. Combine that with a tart of a driver up front who likes steep turns and pop up manoeuvres, and the results are similar.

A dive master mate told me that getting noisy punters to shut up by making them green around the gills was easy. Just idle the rubber duck with the victim downwind from the engine where they can get a good lung full of burned two stroke fuel while watching the horizon flop about. Told me his record was 30 seconds from getting in position to the punter feeding the parrot fish.

500N
17th May 2014, 06:10
S r t

I only have to get on a dive boat for 10 minutes travel
And I am sick.

We have a dive loc 15 minutes off queens cliffs and I get sick on the way there :rolleyes:

Fliegenmong
22nd Jun 2014, 12:49
Not far away now....

TRUE GRIT - Military Inspired Obstacle Course (http://www.truegrit.com.au/)

I don't expect to win it, or even close, or even really close to those in our group who are the 'Super Fit' clique......but I hope to get through it ok....managed a 5k run (of sorts) a few weeks back, but need to increase that to 12k, with 30 plus obstacles to finish this challenge......if anything at least my blood pressure has decreased incredibly over the last 18 months or so of working my @rse off.....:ok:

radeng
22nd Jun 2014, 22:49
I can still remember vividly the last time. I was in hospital in June 2007 - it turned out to be a 28 day stay - and they gave me my 12 tablets to take one morning. Said tablets took one look at my stomach and revolted. I made it to the ward sink just in time.......

The nursing staff complained that I could not tell them which and how many of the 12 tablets had been brought up.....

The only sympathy came from a really beautiful, very caring black nurse with a Birmingham accent that you could cut and spread. She had been trained at the same Birmingham hospital my mother had been trained as a nurse at some 70 years earlier.......She was a nurse who really cared for her patients.

anotherthing
22nd Jun 2014, 23:12
500N

That would be Chris Terrell. He did indeed 'pass'. wasn't given a Green lid he truly earned it.

He also reported from Afghanistan with the Marines in a series (Mission Afghanistan?) Was very well done and he had obvious respect for and from the troops he was embedded with :ok:

RedhillPhil
22nd Jun 2014, 23:26
Cycling star Victoria Pendleton confessed to puking after each race. Last time I had a reversal of fortune was after coming round from the anaesthetic following a hernia repair operation.

unstable load
23rd Jun 2014, 11:11
Like SRT, only while being chased around the shateen by some sadistic barsteward PTI with Mommy issues..
Oddly enough, it also put me off any form of regimented exercise and camping.

Cacophonix
23rd Jun 2014, 11:35
Put on me on a yacht and I am bound to get seasick on the first day of sailing but invariably I perk up and then, if the trip is of a duration any longer than a day or two, I become land sick upon returning to terra firma.

There is nothing worse than being badly seasick and sometimes the contemplation of death is easier than another hour of nausea and misery at sea. Only the fear of the Captain (invariably a tyrant with psychopathic tendencies) and the potential shame of fouling the side of the yacht keeps one metaphorically afloat and being kept busy is the key to recovery and ultimate sailing usefulness.

Fortunately I have never felt airsick either as a passenger or as master of my own toppled AI.

Edited to ask - As for vomit (only on JB), why does it always contain undigested carrots and bits of tomato?

Edited again to say - Some people get sick out of sheer nerves or tension. James Hunt was reputed to often get so keyed up before a race that he would chuck up before he went on to win it.

Caco

Fliegenmong
23rd Jun 2014, 12:24
Just to counter the classic JB thread drift, this was about being sick through sheer physical exertion, not if you became queasy on a boat ride! :rolleyes:

I missed tonight's exertions, I was too full from lunch, my problem, sure.....still, not long to go.....I'm expecting about 3 1/2 - 4 hours to get through it :ouch:

Cacophonix
23rd Jun 2014, 12:31
sick through sheer physical exertion, not if you became queasy on a boat ride! :rolleyes:

You try racing a yacht and believe me you will exert some energy!

So you are specifically looking for details of blokes who have chundered over some girl's leotard in gym eh!... ;)

Caco

Rob Courtney
23rd Jun 2014, 13:24
This thread reminds me of the poem my (then 8 year old) son had to memorize and recite for a drama exam once. Needles to say he can still remember it now

Pirates puke on stormy seas
Giants spew on top of trees
Kings are sick in golden loos
Dogs are sick in daddys shoes.
Babies love to make a mess down the front of Mum's best dress and what carried wouldn't be complete without the stink of last nights treat? Teachers who force kids to eat
Sheperds pie with rancid meat
can't be surprised when at their feet
the unchucked meal splats complete. Rollercoasters swirling cups can make any one throw up
Ferris wheels, icky sweets, pavement pizzas spray the streets.
Hats are handy when in town should your guts flip upside down
A bag's a fine and private place
to avoid public disgrace
when tummy heaving insides peeling
you suddenly get that awful feeling
"Mum I'm going to throw up."

Cacophonix
23rd Jun 2014, 13:31
Rob

Poor old Fleigen! Not even a line in that verse for those gym nuts or exercise chunderers from Down Under! :)

Caco

OFSO
23rd Jun 2014, 16:53
I can't puke, never have been able (at least in adult memory). This is probably a Very Bad Thing, as nasty foodstuffs and the like head downwards and poison me.....