PDA

View Full Version : WWI Photographs

tony draper
14th May 2014, 09:47
Posted some unseen ones a while back,never seen any of these before.
World War I in Photos: Technology - The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/wwi/wwitech/)

AtomKraft
14th May 2014, 15:27
Never seen any of these before either.
Thanks for posting! :ok:

500N
14th May 2014, 15:33
Thanks

I haven't seen any of those either.

Some very good photos in that collection.

rotornut
14th May 2014, 15:44
Fantastic! I've never seen the equipment shown in many of the photos. Thank you for posting.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
14th May 2014, 16:12
In the fourth photo, I believe the tandem arrangement turns the starter motor for the gas engine. The generator/dynamo which runs the radio is belt-driven by the motor, on the far left (left-most operator is holding the feed wire to the radio).

onetrack
15th May 2014, 02:26
Fox, that fourth photo certainly is a curious setup. The bloke kneeling is cranking the engine as well.
The cable held by the bloke at the far left appears to be the same heavy cable as the one connected to the tandem bicycle dynamo.

There are also two different belt and pulley setups connecting the engine and starter motor/dynamo. The pulleys vary in diameter.

I'm hazarding a WAG, that the tandem bicycle-driven dynamo powered the starter motor - but the engine needed to be hand cranked to gain sufficient cranking speed for the starter motor to take over.

Once running, it appears the double-belt-and-pulley system is devised with sprag clutches perhaps, to enable the engine to drive the dynamo at a different speed ratio, as compared to the pulleys used for cranking speed, when the dynamo is being utilised as the starter motor?

Mr D., thanks for the link - some of the most interesting and rare photos of WW1 that I have ever seen.

onetrack
15th May 2014, 02:35
Picture 14 is rather fascinating to me as an engineer, as this trenching machine is very advanced for 1918. Despite it being listed as "German", it appears to be based on a Holt crawler tractor, and the whole machine looks decidedly American.

I would not be surprised if it had been purchased from America - the same as the Nazis purchased sizeable amounts of Chev trucks from the U.S. on a cash basis, in 1940 and 1941.

Numbers of Aussie WW2 veterans told me how, after fighting off Rommels troops in the ME, they were appalled to find the Nazis driving near-new Chev vehicles, while they were struggling to acquire any decent new vehicles at all.

11Fan
15th May 2014, 02:53
Some great ones in there for the Caption Contest in the Military Forum.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm107/APC11Fan/w_15_zpsd76c4e65.jpg

Hello, this is Bob from Microsoft. We understand there may be a virus on your computer...

moosp
15th May 2014, 05:19
It must have got a bit noisy in a fire fight in the armoured rail car at number 3.

With all that lot going off at the same time you wouldn't hear the command to cease fire...

tony draper
15th May 2014, 06:50
That shell in photo 8 would be bad news heading your way,how the hell did they get it into the breech.
Come to think it would be bad news if it tipped over and fell on your toes.:uhoh:

Blacksheep
15th May 2014, 07:29
38cms is 15". A battleship would have been hoying salvos of nine at a time. Twice a minute. :uhoh:

tony draper
15th May 2014, 07:45
Well the Navy had thing automated,that poor buggah looks like he has been told to go and fetch a shell.
:uhoh:

onetrack
15th May 2014, 09:18
This photo of an identical trench-digger, has been lifted from another forum.
It's a scan from a book (which book, I do not know) and it identifies the trencher as an "American" trencher. It's definitely based on a Holt crawler tractor.

So either the WW1 photo of the trencher in picture 14 has it mis-identified as German, when it actually belonged to the Americans - or the Germans acquired it from the Americans, either via commercial purchase, or by war action (seized as a war trophy in a German movement that captured Allied-held ground and materials).

I couldn't imagine the trencher being abandoned in any retreat, it would have been sabotaged via demolition by engineers; so the possibility of mis-identification of ownership remains the most likely possibility.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/55nyaa.jpg

gruntie
15th May 2014, 10:00
Simple modern cockup is almost guaranteed. The National Archives themselves did it recently: they published online a load (hundreds) of old colonial photos, organised by country.
Around the (last) turn of the century a railway was built from Mombasa in Kenya to Lake Victoria (think of the man-eaters of Tsavo, & all that). In its original form it was all within Kenya: however it was meant to open up Uganda, so was called the Uganda Railway. So the National Archives filed the whole lot under the wrong country.

tony draper
18th May 2014, 07:50
Here's another find,The Flying Circus.
WW1: Richthofen Film (1919) - YouTube

AtomKraft
18th May 2014, 08:08
Holy Moly.
That's Goering, no less, at about 4:10.

:ooh:

tony draper
18th May 2014, 08:27
Oh yes Goering features in a few segments,haven't watched it right through yet,wasn't Goering the boss after the Red Baron copped it?
I have seen various bits of the film in other programs ie Goering sitting in the cockpit of his machine but not in it's entirety.
Have to admit I didn't find it,pinched the link from another website.
:)
Anybody know what that medal some of them are wearing on the neck? sort of eight pointed star,is that the Blue Max?

Vercingetorix
18th May 2014, 10:46
Drapes,
great photos. My paternal grandad is somewhere in that lot.

:ok: