PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire Devolution

OutlawPete
13th May 2014, 19:51
Yorkshire Devolution Movement | Unleashing Yorkshire's potential through devolution ? http://yorkshiredevolution.co.uk/ (http://yorkshiredevolutionmovementt.wordpress.com/)

Hope the link works, apologies if it doesn't. I know we cant discuss the Scottish thing but is this really a viable proposition? After Cornwall, is it really feasible that more counties in England could follow?

Private jet
13th May 2014, 19:54
I went to Yorkshire once. Prozac is the cure. Nearly as bad as Lincolnshire but not quite.

TomJoad
13th May 2014, 20:09
Menzies Campbell put forward a paper proposing a federal constitution as an alternative to the current Scottish discussion. I personally think it has merit and would give the regions of the UK, particularly within England, a counter to the ever growing monster that is London. I don't get the sense that it has much support however, too much apathy in England and a blinkered belief in the status quo. Ironically, the outcome of the discussion in the UK's northern region (the really northern one) may cause folk in England to think it's time for their own constitutional renewal. It's a shame really, I honestly believe a federal UK would have killed the Scottish thingy, question, discussion, that what cannot be named. Hey ho:bored:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
13th May 2014, 21:41
Bit pointless - no Yorkshireman wants to leave, no other bugger wants to go, and the through traffic stays on the A1.

perthsaint
13th May 2014, 21:58
It requires the people of Yorkshire to have cojones.

So, no chance.

YorkshireTyke
13th May 2014, 22:06
So, no chance.
Now! Now!

Mods - aren't we supposed to be protected from personal attacks from Scotsmen ?

Seldomfitforpurpose
13th May 2014, 22:16
Mods - aren't we supposed to be protected from personal attacks from Scotsmen ?

Hopefully soon to be foreigners :ok:

500N
13th May 2014, 22:20
Got to love this

"It requires the people of Yorkshire to have cojones.
So, no chance."

Answered by a Yorkshireman to prove it correct :O

" Mods - aren't we supposed to be protected from personal attacks from Scotsmen ?"

I would have thought even a Yorkshireman could have come up with a better come back than that and certainly something with a bit of bite to it ! :p

Letting a Scotsman get one over a Yorkshireman, really := :=:=

Fox3WheresMyBanana
13th May 2014, 22:24
Invading Scots can still be legally shot in York (except Sundays), as long as one uses a bow & arrow.

DX Wombat
13th May 2014, 22:25
I would have thought even a Yorkshireman could have come up
with a better come back than that and certainly somehthing with
a bit of bite to it !Don't be silly! :rolleyes:

tony draper
13th May 2014, 22:43
Hey! Yorkshire used to be my patch,apart from Bradford which should be put to the torch, there were nowt wrong wi Yorkshire or the folks who dwell therein.
:= :rolleyes:

Tankertrashnav
13th May 2014, 22:59
After Cornwall, is it really feasible that more counties in England could follow?

All that's happened is the the "Cornish people" have been granted minority status under European rules for the protection of national minorities.

Trouble is, nobody has yet given a satisfactory explanation of who "the Cornish people" are, so as far as I'm concerned the whole thing is totally meaningless, and probably some sort of scam to allow spurious organisations get their grubby mitts on EU dosh.

Cornish devolution hasnt got a hope in hell of happening - and why should it? We are the most economically deprived area in the UK - why the heck would we want to cut ourselves off from the more affluent bits?

YorkshireTyke
13th May 2014, 23:52
....there were nowt wrong wi Yorkshire or the folks who dwell therein.

Tha's reet there, lad. ( Belated Happy Birthday ! )

Usually nowt much wrong w't Haggis Bashers either, 'cept one can't understand a word they say in Glasgow !

sitigeltfel
14th May 2014, 05:08
I went to Yorkshire once. Prozac is the cure. Nearly as bad as Lincolnshire but not quite.

One was based in Yorkshire once upon a time (Bawtry), right on the border with Lincolnshire. Does that mean I need a double dose?

jolihokistix
14th May 2014, 05:13
The pudding should hold them down, in the worst eventuality.

Wholigan
14th May 2014, 06:22
Not sure why you're differentiating.

My next door neighbour was born and bred in Sheffield and he says that a Yorkshireman is exactly the same as a Scotsman but with the tendency to being a spendthrift removed.

;):E

sitigeltfel
14th May 2014, 07:01
a Yorkshireman is exactly the same as a Scotsman but with the tendency to being a spendthrift removed.

;):E

'Ear all, see all, say nowt;
Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt;
And if ivver tha does owt fer nowt -
Allus do it fer thissen."

Tankertrashnav
14th May 2014, 08:34
Scotsmen?, Yorkshiremen?

You've seen nothing until you've met a Cornish farmer. I once let my 3 acre pasture to a farmer for grazing. By the time we'd negotiated a price (trivial) I was almost paying him to grace my field with his cattles' presence!

sitigeltfel
14th May 2014, 08:48
I was almost paying him to grace my field with his cattles' presence!

Were you charged for the fertiliser?

funfly
14th May 2014, 09:44
I bet that most people in London don't even know where Yorkshire is :rolleyes:

funfly
14th May 2014, 09:45
Where is Yorkshire?

ian16th
14th May 2014, 09:50
At least we will have a choice of more than five 1st class grounds for the Test matches against the Rest! :ok:

Trossie
14th May 2014, 14:39
... most people in London don't even know where Yorkshire is
Where is London? Do people live there?

tony draper
14th May 2014, 15:17
It's not Yorkshiremen you shandy drinking southern big girls blouses need to worry about.:=
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/second%20album/970051_661954273874025_756626022663637458_n_zps022fad89.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/Deaddogbay/media/second%20album/970051_661954273874025_756626022663637458_n_zps022fad89.jpg. html)
:rolleyes:

TomJoad
14th May 2014, 16:48
Got to love this

"It requires the people of Yorkshire to have cojones.
So, no chance."

Answered by a Yorkshireman to prove it correct :O

" Mods - aren't we supposed to be protected from personal attacks from Scotsmen ?"

I would have thought even a Yorkshireman could have come up with a better come back than that and certainly something with a bit of bite to it ! :p

Letting a Scotsman get one over a Yorkshireman, really := :=:=
:D:D:D:D .

ManUtd1999
14th May 2014, 16:54
... most people in London don't even know where Yorkshire is
Good, wouldn't want them spoiling it :ok:

perthsaint
14th May 2014, 17:01
The crafty cockney on the extreme left is surely wee Willie Hague.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
14th May 2014, 17:10
Who, ironically, represents a Yorkshire constituency.

perthsaint
14th May 2014, 17:17
A double agent?:eek:

TomJoad
14th May 2014, 17:18
I've never known a Yorkshireman needing any help to argue his point.

Tha’ can allus tell a Yorkshireman,
but tha’ can’t tell ‘im much.

All joking aside, brilliant place to visit, lovely down to earth folk and not that bad at cricket either - which can't be bad. :ok:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
14th May 2014, 17:21
William Hague
Born in the People's Republic of South Yorkshire (aka West Riding), Oxford Uni, North Yorkshire MP, works in Westminster...

He's a triple agent - why do you think we picked him as Foreign Sec ? ;)

Sometimes he probably double-crosses himself by accident.

He was my MP for a bit (I voted for the other guy, so don't blame me!)

Simplythebeast
14th May 2014, 19:26
For anyone who hasn't seen it before.....

Yorkshire Airlines - YouTube (http://youtu.be/wPjJFv1NDBg)

JB007
14th May 2014, 19:58
"Wipe 'tha bloo*y feet..."

That's actually a documentary for the airline I work for!
But wouldn't want it any other way, been away for 20 years...by eck it's good to be back! And paid £3.10 for a pint today!

TomJoad
14th May 2014, 21:55
You have no soul.......best you stay darn sarf where you belong

Northern soul, now that is something to celebrate - they certainly don't do soul "darn sarf".

Tom

acbus1
15th May 2014, 08:41
Yorkshire Devolution?

Homoyorkshoria have been devolving for centuries; too much inbreeding.

...tha no-o-o-os.

Tankertrashnav
15th May 2014, 08:45
Northern soul, now that is something to celebrate - they certainly don't do soul "darn sarf".

Always thought "soul", Northern or otherwise, an amazingly silly description of a genre of music. How do you define it?

Do you disagree that Bach's St Matthew Passion has soul, yet insist that some lightweight stuff accompanied by lads jumping around in a club in Wigan has it?

Very silly.

vee-tail-1
15th May 2014, 09:49
Mosques in Bradford (83) - UK Mosque Searcher (http://mosques.muslimsinbritain.org/show-browse.php?town=Bradford&expand=1)

Curious ... is Yorkshire a part of Britain? Seems to have relocated to Pakistan :rolleyes:

TomJoad
15th May 2014, 20:24
Always thought "soul", Northern or otherwise, an amazingly silly description of a genre of music. How do you define it?

Do you disagree that Bach's St Matthew Passion has soul, yet insist that some lightweight stuff accompanied by lads jumping around in a club in Wigan has it?

Very silly.

Oh Tankertrashnav it's not for everyone but don't analyse it just enjoy it - "jumping around" - silly yes, I'll take that.:ok:

Yep Bach has soul too, but again not for everybody- I don't see it as mutually exclusive, just different, equally enjoyable.

Had to laugh at another over analysis in the news today. Some academics were extolling parents to encourage their children not to do "rock pooling" as it was not intellectually stimulating. They wanted the children to examine the rock pool as a biosphere and chart the 10 most common marine forms therein. Hell's teeth, as much as I love science, I bet nobody died wishing they had spent more time categorising alge - be silly.:p

Tom

flash8
15th May 2014, 20:57
As a Southerner, once worked for Halifax Bank in Pudsey... this huge place run exclusively by the Yorkshire mafia greeting each other with "aye ups" every morning... whilst us mere mortals scraped along the floor grovelling.

One morning however I greeted my Yorkshire 'boss' with an 'aye-up'.

If looks could kill.....

Blacksheep
15th May 2014, 21:26
'Ear all, see all, say nowt;
Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt;. . . and if tha' can, tek tuppence change

vulcanised
15th May 2014, 21:33
Yorkshiremen are renowned for being careful with their money. "A scotsman with the generosity removed"

A Yorkshireman and his pal from down south are walking down the road. "Hey look at the sign on that pub!", says his mate. "A pie, a pint, and a prostitute, all for a pound ! Come on, let's get some of that".

"Hold on, hold on", says the Yorkshireman, "What's in the pie?"

G&T ice n slice
16th May 2014, 06:57

"Ee Lord, she was thin"

YorkshireTyke
16th May 2014, 07:17
"Hold on, hold on", says the Yorkshireman, "What's in the pie?"

'ang on, couldn't have been a Yorkshireman, he'd av said "What's in t'pie"

"A scotsman with the generosity removed"

Generous Scotsman ? Isn't that an oxymoron ?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
16th May 2014, 10:33
Nope, just a moron (in the eyes of other jocks)

felixflyer
16th May 2014, 10:51
Mosques in Bradford (83) - UK Mosque Searcher

Curious ... is Yorkshire a part of Britain? Seems to have relocated to Pakistan

Well you see we were doing the multi-culturalism thing long before it was fashionable down south, I grew up in Bradford (There are some very nice parts by the way) I had friends from all sorts of backgrounds and it was never really thought of as an issue, we just got on with things the way us northerners do.

Walk around the town and you will see older people in sikh, muslim, hindu dress all talking with broad Yorkshire accents. I have never encountered as much casual racism and secularism as I have since moving down south. We know how to do things properly up there.

Before anybody does the most obvious thing and posts about the Bradford riots, I was there and it was not about race.

Looking forward to getting back tonight, getting some good beer and a decent curry then maybe a bit of fly fishing on a crystal clear river at the weekend. :ok:

cockney steve
16th May 2014, 12:04
maybe a bit of fly fishing
In Lancashire, we tend to fish for fish :}
No accounting for you soft in t' ead Yorkies!

felixflyer
16th May 2014, 12:09
Yes but then you probably cover it in gravy and put it in a butty!:ok:

sitigeltfel
16th May 2014, 12:44
You can now smell like a Yorkshire Viking....

Brute deodorant (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/uk/northernengland/10835531/Yorks-latest-wheeze-Norse-Power-the-Viking-deodorant.html)

"The different aromas infused into this new body spray include “battle gore, sweat, pine, meat, mead, seawater and smoke.”