PDA

View Full Version : Aussie needs info

Mad Mick
21st May 2002, 10:26
Gday all,
Looking for information on were I can do my ATP conversion in
Minnesota. And also this may be a delicate subject but what is the work situation like in this area from charter to regional.
Any help would be great.

weasil
22nd May 2002, 03:11
try www.landings.com and also www.aopa.org for lists of charter/flight training by state

druglord
31st May 2002, 20:03
Hey pal...i'm aussie/us been flying in both. My advice is...if you don't have the aussie ATPL minimums....ie...1500 TT 75 IFR and 100 Night. you won't get work on charter because of FAR requirements. You used to get into airlines with much less than that before 9/11 -1200 with 200 multi. But those days are long gone and I think there are only 2 regionals hiring over on the east coast. ACA and Comair. The Chicago airlines - Chicago express and Great Lakes aren't hiring that I'm aware of...and unfortunately flight experience in other countries doesn't really have any clout over here anymore than flying in the US would be of any use flying bush in Australia. If you have those hours yes there's a bit of charter around but you have to find it and like oz...right place at the right time

chimbu warrior
31st May 2002, 23:42
Druglord..........any idea of how the post 9/11 security requirements affect a foreigner trying to get a flying job in the US? I have heard (anecdotal) that non-US citizens are experiencing great difficulty getting work due to the comprehensive background checks required. Any idea if this is just for airline jobs, or GA too?
What are experience minimums for GA IFR charter?
What is difference between doing a 121 ATP and a 135 ATP?
Any advice appreciated.

Check 6
1st Jun 2002, 14:22
Chimbuwarrior. This topic has been discussed extensively in the last six months. Try the search engine above to obtain more information.

Regarding a US 135 vs. 121 ATP, the 135 written is significantly easier unless you already have experience in B-727 type of aircraft. The flight test portion will depend on what aircraft you fly, but the standards are the same.

Good luck mate,

:D :D :D

Mad Mick
2nd Jun 2002, 12:29
Thanks Druglord.

I do have these requirements and totally understand the situation over there. Mate just looking at another option as things are really tough over here and most likely the same there.
All the best

druglord
4th Jun 2002, 22:28
Chimbu and mad...
I'm not really sure what the difference is between the FAR 135 and 121 ATP...I honestly thought the written is all the same. There is a flight engineers test and a dispatcher's test which I think takes from the same bank of questions as the ATP...but I'm not really sure what they entail above and beyond the normal ATP written. To convert you have to take the written. You can order a book from ASA publishing which has every question in the ATP bank...easy cf to the aussie one. To get work over here....your best bet - I hate to say it- would be instructing. There are a lot of places that need instructors. If you got a J1 visa to do that it may lead to other things, but I'm just guessing. I don't know of any companies that are sponsoring, but I haven't really checked it out either. Try somebody who flies VH- registered aircraft over here, that might get you somewhere. Sorry I can't be of more help.

C4
5th Jun 2002, 02:36
Part 135 is commuter and on demand operations, part 121 is Domestic, flag and supplemental operations (airlines)

Mad Mick
6th Jun 2002, 03:34
Druglord

With a green card would a foreigner have much chance in getting work, especially in ifr charter ops or even instructing.And thanks for that info on that book it will come in handy.

druglord
7th Jun 2002, 17:31
Mad...
Glad to be of help. Yeah I realised what Pt 135 and 121 were...I wasn't aware there was a separate test. I know theres one for 1200 and 1500 hour pilots, but I'm pretty sure they're the same test. Anyhow...yeah you can probably pick up some IFR charter with those hours and a green card. You don't even really need twin time although it would help...even a 100 or so. You'll probably want to go to one of the big cities to try to find work and hope they have turbines to move onto. Instructing...easy peasy to find work...just find the school you like and go for it. It's a little different down in the flight school mecca's like FLorida and California apparently where there seems to be a lot of instructors, but around here there's jobs for them everywhere. Again, charter is a little harder to find, but certainly better than oz. Cheers