PDA

View Full Version : Moving freezers?

tony draper
13th May 2014, 09:20
Bro Draper and self are tasked with fitting a new 13 amp outlet and moving a freezer today,did someone not mention or did we not have a thread once about moving freezers and how moving them can bugger up their clockwork for days?
Or was that just fridges.
:uhoh:

PLovett
13th May 2014, 10:31
Mr D, I think it was fridges that you had to let settle for some time after moving but I stand to be corrected and I'm sure someone will be along soon with the definitive answer. :ok:

Loki
13th May 2014, 10:43
I hope so....I'm going to have to shift a freezer in a month or so. it will need to go flat on its back in my Landy to be transferred to the new owner. Issues?

sitigeltfel
13th May 2014, 10:53
After moving fridges/freezers I believe you are supposed to let them sit for some time before switching them on. Something to do with the chemicals sloshing about?

Keef
13th May 2014, 11:00
What he ^ said.

Let all the grot and sediment settle down again before switching 'em back on.
We didn't do that when we moved one, and it packed up a few days later.

Avtrician
13th May 2014, 11:03
It used to be the case with the ammonia filled fridges/freezers, as you had to let the liquid ammonia drain back down after tilting. These days, let the unit sit for a few minutes then let er rip. I havent broken one yet.

CHAIRMAN
13th May 2014, 11:07
Mr D.
Unless you're an electrical engineer, I'd be more concerned with fitting the new 13 amp plug than relocating the fridge:eek:
My tip is if it's not my fridge, than the easiest/simplest way is the best:ok:

Duckbutt
13th May 2014, 11:12
Be careful at your age FSL!

cockney steve
13th May 2014, 11:12
Over the years I must have moved over a dozen.
As far as I'm concerned, the "settle for 24/ 48 hours" is an old wive's tale (wives' ? )
Chucked a fridge-freezer on a roofrack on the Estate, washing machine in the back, left Brighton, six hours later unloaded inDukinfield (Manchester)....plugged it in.....it's still doing fine ~6 years later.
last week, moved a fridge(unused at least 4 years!) friend's garage to home, cleaned and fettled, took to new home a couple of miles away....plugged straight in....no probs.....ditto with the freezer that was supplanted by the fridge-freezer above....so now a needy person has a freezer with a fridge on top, both working fine.....
in theory, it's possible for the innards to block upwith a slug of liquid refrigerant....in practice, the Compressor sucks/ blows the stuff round and condenses it, as it should..

Lay on the side with the door-hinges uppermostwhen transporting....then the door can't flop open under it's own weight.....the Conrensor (big black radiator-thing) will be at the opposite "side" if you break the pipework, it's game over, so don'th that face downwards for transport!....often a freezer will have no visible condensor to worry about.

Keef
13th May 2014, 11:17
The new freezer we bought when we moved here had a label attached to the mains plug "do not connect or switch on for 24 hours after installation".

I don't know who put the label there, but we did what it said. Four years on, it still works.

AtomKraft
13th May 2014, 11:42
Wife's.....;)

tony draper
13th May 2014, 12:14
It's ok Mr CHAIRMAN one was a Electricity Plumber before becoming a hitman.
:)

keyboard flier
13th May 2014, 13:36
If is is new and been transported then it needs to be stood so the coolant can settle.
If you are swtching it off, moving it and then switching back on again then that's fine.

UniFoxOs
13th May 2014, 13:49
I assume Tony is only moving this from one room to another or within one room, so it shouldn't be necessary to take any precautions if it's moved reasonably gently - no tipping on end, for example.

pzu
13th May 2014, 14:12
It's ok Mr CHAIRMAN one was a Electricity Plumber before becoming a hit man.

Believe many of us who did hold UK licenses will find that they are not transferable post Retirement!!! :ugh:

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

tony draper
13th May 2014, 14:37
The freezer is only to be moved about six feet in a easterly direction and rotated about 90 degrees,I shall be present only in a supervisory capacity as one feels it one's duty to be so as these are young people under fifty years of age and therefore complete dolts.
:rolleyes:

crippen
13th May 2014, 14:45
The 'leave for 24 hrs' rule is to let the oil in the pump to settle down back into the sump,or so I was told.

meadowrun
13th May 2014, 14:58
And it's always a good idea to remove any frozen foods/bodies before attempting to move.

tony draper
13th May 2014, 15:06
Tiz a vertical job bodies would have a tendency to fall out when one opened the door,unless of course they were cut into sensible sections.:)
A thought occurs, would it help if this freezer was left powered up during the move? twould be a simple matter to do so? as the plan is just to shuffle it sideways at no time will it depart from the vertical.:)

UniFoxOs
13th May 2014, 15:16
Can't see it doing any harm. For about 20 years I had a big chest freezer in an alcove. To be able to clean and paint the walls, I had it mounted on 4 castors. I have many times pulled it out while running to access behind itk for maintenance purposes or to retrieve something that Dr Sod flung down there for me.

mad_jock
13th May 2014, 15:17
there is wet and dry parts to the refrigeration circuit.

If you get the fluid into the wrong section it can screw the pump which is meant for gas not fluid and you can get fluid locks which buggers everything.

If you leave it for 12 hours everything gets back to where it should be and you can turn it on.

http://www.air-conditioning-and-refrigeration-guide.com/images/A_C_DIAGRAM_FOR_PAGE_6_1_2n.jpg

OFSO
13th May 2014, 16:30
I wish to insert my opinion at this point.

Don't have it connected to the mains while moving and leave it standing in its new location for 24hrs before reapplying the power. Oh quickly procure and read Stephen King's "The Tommyknockers" if you see it doing strange things once in the new location.

Flypro
13th May 2014, 16:48
Is said freezer to contain halal meat - what with it being moved to face in an easterly direction?:}

mad_jock
13th May 2014, 17:31
Its also worth while turning them off for an hour before you move them.

If you keep them vertical and only move sideways without tipping you don't have to wait as long

Windy Militant
13th May 2014, 19:25
there is wet and dry parts to the refrigeration circuit.
What the diagram doesn't show is that there is Oil to lubricate the compressor as well as the fridge gas/liquid We used to use R 34 and R 134 fridge gas in the systems I worked on years ago can't remember what oil we used we just got a tin from stores if needed.
The oil normally sits in the bottom of the compressor housing lubricating the moving parts. Normally if there is any migration of the oil its in very small quantities that don't cause any problem. If the compressor is up ended the oil gets into the capilliary and Expansion valve, and as fridge oil is much more viscous than the working fluid you get slugging where the oil blocks the valve. if your lucky or have a posh unit with a thermal cut out you might get away with it. However usually what happens is the motor burns out trying to push the oil through the orifice. If you let Uncle Isaac do his work by leaving the unit for a few hours to let the oil drain back to the bottom of the compressor then all should be tickety boo!;)