PDA

View Full Version : Pprune unstable ??

Hussar 54
12th May 2014, 22:00
Last couple of days, I seem to have a problem when logged into Pprune....

Screen scrolling is very 'jerky'....Page constantly seems to be resizing, larger to smaller....And very slow response times when changing pages....

Only seems to happen on Pprune, and not other sites....

Running Windows 7 and using regular MS browser....

Any ideas, please, anyone ??

YPPH_Dave
13th May 2014, 00:18
Well you solved your own problem. Switch to another browser (Firefox or Chrome) and your problems won't manifest I suspect. IE uses a completely different framework to the others and you'll find a much better experience.

OFSO
13th May 2014, 07:01
I AM using Chrome and have noticed that when loading the screen PPRuNe doesn't refresh in one fell swoop but seems to load from the top down. Not a problem at all but there is a difference to other websites.

Hobo
13th May 2014, 10:40
Same problem as OFSO, running Windows Vista. Why does Pprune do this?

Saab Dastard
13th May 2014, 11:09
Probably down to the enormous volume of ads and the associated content displayed from 3rd party web sites.

But that's how PPRuNe pays its bills...

SD

SpringHeeledJack
13th May 2014, 11:19
Now that you mention it, one has had such experiences with the site in the last 2 months perhaps, though for me it lasts no more than 1-2secs and includes a black screen beforehand for 0.5sec. Otherwise no real issues on Safari.

SHJ

Hussar 54
14th May 2014, 21:34
OK...Thanks everyone...Nice to know it's not just me and my machine....

Dave....Quite true - using Firefox it isn't quite as bad as IE but PPRuNe is still not as ' stable ' as other sites....But I do tend to avoid using it as I have had two fairly nasty hijack viruses ( Viri ?? ) which got through Firefox....

Worst of all, though, is the Daily Hatemail Site which just seems to hang every time on both browsers - probably just far too much content on a single page + embedded videos....Just hope PPRuNe doesn't get as bad as that site one day....

BEagle
16th May 2014, 21:26
PPRuNe is so infested with advertising greed these days, that it is indeed unstable.....

Regardless of browser, ISP or OS.........

Geese and golden eggs, anyone?

KBPsen
17th May 2014, 07:39
PPRuNe is so infested with...There are ways to make that go away.

FullOppositeRudder
17th May 2014, 08:17
I don't have a problem with the site. ;)

Tarq57
17th May 2014, 09:33
Works fine for me, using Firefox.

Don't think I've often- if ever - seen an ad, either.

ericlday
17th May 2014, 10:27
Working fine with Palemoon and Adblock Plus .....ads a thing of the past.

Capetonian
17th May 2014, 16:57
Firefox + Adblocker = WTF's an ad?

MerchantVenturer
17th May 2014, 19:51
I use Firefox and have experienced similar problems to Hussar 54's in the past few days, but again not with any other sites, although this evening everything seems to be stable.

Old Photo.Fanatic
1st Jun 2014, 12:39
Apologies if this has been covered before.
I have a particular problem with pprune.
Very very frequently now I get the message "pprune not responding", and followed by a blank page.
I then have to reload pprune to get back in.
Is this allied to the problems noted in this thread?

This does not happen on other aviation forums I follow.

OPF

IBobi
2nd Jun 2014, 19:09
What browser and version are you running? Are you using any plugins? What site function are you doing when the message comes up?

Old Photo.Fanatic
3rd Jun 2014, 14:04
I am running Windows 7 with IE9. not too sure about plugins!!!
Is this the info. you want?

I get a blank page at anytime when looking at Forums/threads,pprune just locks up.
Sometimes I can "Backpage" and its then ok
It is geting so bad, it is putting me off going on pprune, which I enjoy and look at a lot.

Hope this problem can be identified.

With thanks OPF

IBobi
3rd Jun 2014, 19:01
Have you tried visiting using another browser? Chrome and Firefox are excellent.

Evanelpus
3rd Jun 2014, 20:22
Never had any problems with the site.

But, some of the posters:ugh:, that's another story:ok:

Background Noise
9th Jun 2014, 15:26
What about 'search'. It clearly doesn't work for me - maybe there has been some announcement but, since I don't appear to be able to search, I can't find it.

IBobi
9th Jun 2014, 18:51
What kind of search are you doing? What happens when you do it? What browser and version are you using?

Saab Dastard
9th Jun 2014, 19:25
Is there a time delay before search terms are indexed? I've just tried to search for posts containing the word "Search" in this forum and the most recent result is 7 months ago, despite the fact that the word appears in the previous post. Similarly with the word "browser".

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

SD

IBobi
9th Jun 2014, 19:28
Are you using Thread Search or the regular Search function?

Background Noise
10th Jun 2014, 16:03
For me it is regular search, and advanced search, using Safari mostly but I've tried other browsers (Firefox, Chrome) with similar (non)results.

e.g. search for Typhoon and get no recent results despite at least 2 current threads in mil.

Saab Dastard
10th Jun 2014, 18:06
Thread Search or the regular Search function
Regular Advanced Search

SD

IBobi
10th Jun 2014, 20:06
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx88/IBobi1/Typhoon_zps0cc6fd7d.jpg (http://s744.photobucket.com/user/IBobi1/media/Typhoon_zps0cc6fd7d.jpg.html)

This is what I see when I do an advanced search for keyword "Typhoon" in Chrome.

You see something different? I'm getting results as recent as today.

Background Noise
10th Jun 2014, 20:37
Very similar. So where are these threads:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/541268-raf-typhoon-helmet-cam-video.html

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/541343-typhoon-down-spain.html

jimjim1
11th Jun 2014, 18:46
Most web sites' in-built search is pretty poor. I always try google first.

eg

"site[colon]pprune.org typhoon missile"
"site[colon]pprune.org +typhoon -missile" --must have word typhoon musn't have word missile.

- replace [colon] with a colon -- one of these ::::::
- don't type the quote marks. In google that allows searching for complete phrases.

Sometimes returns an "archive" version of the pprune site but there are links to the main site from there.

Background Noise
17th Jun 2014, 08:21
Search still odd. Posted today in a thread about Chivenor but here is the search result and it is not shown. Just pick a word from the front page (say 'Finningley') and see if you get that thread in your results.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/stickshaker/ScreenShot2014-06-17at091402_zpsec0168c6.png