PDA

View Full Version : How Much Does it Cost You for Groceries?

meadowrun
12th May 2014, 22:30
Currently talking to a friend in Australia (Sydney) and being shocked by their costs compared to mine.

How much does it cost you, on average, for groceries, per person, per week, excluding booze and tobacco?

SpringHeeledJack
12th May 2014, 22:44
I can't answer right now, but the cost of basic and luxury/organic/specialty groceries have shot way up in the last few years an inflatory factor that doesn't always seem to be on the radar despite it's significance (everyone needs to eat).

SHJ

Cacophonix
12th May 2014, 22:49
My father went bankrupt in the 70s in SA. I was in my teens and we ******* starved as we stocked cement...

No groceries, just ******* pain...

Caco

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th May 2014, 22:51
organic local prime rib steak c$ 9 / lb, fresh lobster c$ 7 / lb, potatoes c$ 0.15 / lb.

I can live off that.

Bob Viking
12th May 2014, 22:57
A little misleading perhaps. Not all parts of Canada are as cheap as that!
Thankfully LOA takes care of most of it!
BV;)

BenThere
12th May 2014, 23:09
Everyday, commodity groceries, I find, are incredibly cheap (Ann Arbor, Michigan).

I shop at my local Kroger and buy the store specials, such as 10 cans of beans for $3, chicken breasts at $.99/pound. We get flyers from the local markets telling us what their good deals are, then we go buy them in quantity and put them in the freezer.

I buy my beef from a local butcher who cuts it the way I want and buys grass fed organic meat from local area farmers. It's not cheap but the flavor, freshness and quality justify the $8-10/pound I pay him for the finest filet mignon and other cuts.

Where I live, I think you could eat quite well for $250/person/month. That would include a high protein diet, plenty of fresh vegetables, and an allowance for desserts, snacks and chips.

On my last visit to Australia, we were so shocked at the high prices for such staples as bananas ($5/kilo?), lettuce, coffee, and (lousy) bacon, we took photos of the displays at the grocery and laughed about them with friends when we got back home. The Aussie dollar was $1.05 then, so it's not quite so bad now.

Ancient Mariner
12th May 2014, 23:12
I tried to figure it out, but as the numbers added up I started to cry.
I decided that I do not want to know. Norway ain't cheap. :{
Per

ruddman
12th May 2014, 23:22
and (lousy) bacon

:rolleyes:

Good bacon in the US? It's like your hamburgers. Kids size.
I'll take man size bacon here thank you!!

brickhistory
12th May 2014, 23:30
I'll take man size bacon here thank you!!

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

low-hanging curve right down the middle of the plate...

Nervous SLF
12th May 2014, 23:31
Australia and the UK are cheaper than here in NZ even though NZ wages are not on a par. A leg of lamb over here can be just
over NZ$35 :eek: 500 grms of butter is just over NZ$5.00 in some shops but the lowest at the moment is NZ$3.89.

BenThere
12th May 2014, 23:31
It's a matter of taste. Australian and European bacon is meatier, but lacks the flavor of crisp, maple or hickory smoked American thin-sliced bacon. Properly cooked, it's the best in the world.

con-pilot
12th May 2014, 23:44
Don't ask. :{

But I'll give you a small example. I just got back from a local supermaket, where I had bought dinner for tonight and a few more items.

Two double, French cut pork chops: $7.18*

One pound of fresh Asparagus: 2.03

1.08 pounds of fresh green beans: .48

Six pack of Diet Coke: 3.48

Tax: 1.10

Total: $14.27

* 1.80 pounds at $3.99. Not pre-wrapped, but from the butcher's counter in the store.

Oh, the pork chops and the green beans are for dinner tonight.

So I'll round that off to 15 USD a day, times seven days, equals $105.00 a week for two people.

Which seems too low. But then I've not included pet food which would add at least 20 dollars more a week.

funfly
12th May 2014, 23:51
We are a retired couple in the North West of the UK.
I keep detailed records of our expenses (have to in these days)
We currently spend £9,600 p.a. on provisions not including wine.
Only three years ago this was £7,000 p.a.
80% of our provisions are spent in a supermarket although we get meat and fresh veg from local shops.
Does that help.

meadowrun
12th May 2014, 23:51
You missed lunch and breakfast ??

11Fan
13th May 2014, 00:38
If I include cat food, bottled water, paper towels, laundry soap, and all the other stuff....

In Southern California, $150.00 a week, per person X 3.

I take my lunch every day so I save at least $50.00 a week.

alisoncc
13th May 2014, 00:42
As someone who watches her pennies very very carefully, like to comment. In Oz, basic raw ingredients are available at quite an acceptable price. But you can expect that to triple if any preparation is included.

Bought a whole free-range chicken the other day for AUS$7.50 - AUS$5.95 per kilo. Dismembered it myself and weighed the component parts. At current prices individually they added up to AUS$18.00 plus. Free-range chicken breasts and free range chicken leg haunches can vary up to AUS$14-18 a kg.

So it would have cost AUS$10 to have the butcher's assistant cut it up and wrap the individual parts. The carcass went into a stew pot with some herbs, condiments and vegies, and provided for a meal on it's own as a very warming soup, with fresh home-made bread.

As for the bread. I can bake a wheat-reduced loaf in a bread maker for a quarter of the price in the shop. Use Spelt and Rye flours.

Pappa Smurf
13th May 2014, 00:43
Around $25 a day for me and my dog.
But now ,having given up the smokes and 2 nights down the pub per week,im spending $340 less per week.

PLovett
13th May 2014, 01:06
Australia is one of the 4 most expensive countries in which to live. IIRC Switzerland is the most expensive and Australia and the Scandinavian countries fight it out for second. :uhoh:

As usual, the authors of the article (in yesterdays Aust Fin Review if anyones interested) blames the high wages in Australia but I'd like to see the pampered fools survive on what I'm paid in general aviation. :mad:

brickhistory
13th May 2014, 01:56
As I have an active teen-ager still at home, I won't post my numbers as they will skew the curve...:(

pigboat
13th May 2014, 02:29
Meat and dairy products are on a par with the rest of the world, but fresh produce in the winter? Yeesh! A couple of months ago I bought a bunch of radishes in my local supermarket. 10 radishes - $1.59 CA. :eek:

John Hill
13th May 2014, 03:36
New Zealand, NZ$150 per week for two retirees.

John Hill
13th May 2014, 03:42
Everyday, commodity groceries, I find, are incredibly cheap (Ann Arbor, Michigan).

I shop at my local Kroger and buy the store specials, such as 10 cans of beans for $3, chicken breasts at $.99/pound. We get flyers from the local markets telling us what their good deals are, then we go buy them in quantity and put them in the freezer.

I buy my beef from a local butcher who cuts it the way I want and buys grass fed organic meat from local area farmers. It's not cheap but the flavor, freshness and quality justify the $8-10/pound I pay him for the finest filet mignon and other cuts.

Where I live, I think you could eat quite well for $250/person/month. That would include a high protein diet, plenty of fresh vegetables, and an allowance for desserts, snacks and chips.

Food should be cheap in the US as the American food industry (esp agriculture) is highly subsidised yet you are paying almost as which as we do while our farmers have to pay international prices for fuel, fertilisers, equipment etc and the consumer has to compete with the exporters.

brickhistory
13th May 2014, 03:44
I wonder how much grass and tree bark goes for nowadays in a certain "paradise?"

Of course, dog food is apparently readily available since it, too, is subsidized.

I think the most popular brand is "Soylent Green."

In Hangul, of course...

finfly1
13th May 2014, 03:50
"
Food should be cheap in the US as the American food industry (esp agriculture) is highly subsidised.

By whom? For what reason? All of it? Some of it? To what extent?

Worrals in the wilds
13th May 2014, 04:04
blames the high wages in Australia but I'd like to see the pampered fools survive on what I'm paid in general aviation.
They always ignore the 'country the size of the US with the population of New York' issue, don't they :suspect:. Big logistic chains for a small population equals expensive. Nor do quarantine restrictions help competition, vital though they are.

Anyway, the cheapest supermarket meat is about $5 a kilo, and that's chicken drumsticks, beef soup bones, off cuts or unfashionable offal. 'Basic' meat is about $10-15 a kilo, posh steak, salmon etc around $25-35 a kilo. We don't usually get lobster in SE Queensland :sad:, but prawns are local and reasonably cheap in season. Pork and battery chicken are consistently the cheapest meat available, though veal is also very competitive.

In season fruit and veggies are about $2-4 a kilo, with discounts on stuff that's at the end of the season. Out of season produce is more expensive, up to $30 a kilo for imported cherries or similar. The seasonal price variations are more noticeable in Australia than in the UK/Europe, I think partly because of the small market and partly because of import restrictions. If there's been a flood/drought/cyclone at the wrong time particular products get very expensive or simply aren't available; the banana supply is very vulnerable to cyclones.

Cardboard bread is about $2 per loaf, nice bakery bread about $5. Drinkable wine starts at about $5 per bottle.

mikedreamer787
13th May 2014, 04:20
Cheap as hell in Thailand - about US $800 pm all
up for 2 parents and one kid, AND that's the real
top shelf stuff. High quality imported meat can be
a tad expensive though (4 US/kg).

I thought Oz was so expensive mainly because of
its punitive tax system that permeates through
all Australian personal and business transactions
like a bloody cancer. I don't think its just wages
and direct production costs.

John Hill
13th May 2014, 04:26
finfly1

By whom? The US taxpayer via the US government.

For what reason? Supposedly to make food affordable for all and to keep farmers down on the farm but also makes fat cats fatter.

All of it? Some of it?

http://c1eatdrinkbettercom.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/2011/09/us-agriculture-subsidies.png

To what extent?

More than $20 billion per annum? Maybe twice that.

Richo77
13th May 2014, 05:34
$350 a fortnight for about 90% of our shopping needs for 2 adults, 2 kids (10 & 6) a cat and a rapidly growing dog. Naturally with kids there is bread milk and fruit needed every 2,3 or 4 days depending on growth spurts.

And our produce prices can vary depending on how much havoc has been wreaking by the last tropical cyclone. After Larry or Ului our banana crops were decimated and the prices went well, bananas.

As for taking photos of our grocery displays to show your friends back in the US and have a laugh; Wow! that's a helluva holiday - living on the edge there.

John Hill
13th May 2014, 05:43
I suppose those banana benders in Q'sland have ways and means to discourage importation of bananas to Australia?

My international spies on Facebook and Twitter bring reports of prices as low as 99¢ in Doha, $1.01 in London, $1.09 in Northern Ireland, $1.20 in Bangkok, $1.40 in Singapore, $1.98 in New York and $2.20 in Rome. All of which tells me two things: 1) my friends take more holidays than I do and 2) we're paying too much for bananas.
Even before cyclone Yasi, Australians were paying about $2.99 a kilo.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/society-and-culture/yes-you-are-paying-too-much-for-bananas-20110729-1i4a6.html

Bananas are $2.99 a kilo which being NZ dollars is a bit cheaper than Australia.

500N
13th May 2014, 05:47
So we don't eat Bananas for a while ?

Although the idea of that is right off for a lot of people.

It wasn't that long ago that you still had seasons for Fruit and Veg
and it came in and went out of the shop at certain months.

I remember in the UK, Satsumas used to come in and we look forward
to the date they arrived.

Edit
Bananas are often at $1.99 a kg

vaqueroaero
13th May 2014, 06:11
In Texas we spend about $150 per week for three of us. We have recently noticed that milk has gone through the roof, about $5.25/gallon. My wife takes the time to use coupons and comparison shops, it is amazing the differences in prices between stores.
We haven't bought in eggs in years as we have 14 chickens. They more than pay for themselves as extra eggs are sold at a subsidized rate to friends and family, thereby paying for the feed. I was recently given about 30 pounds of hamburger (otherwise known as mince) by a friend who raises cattle. To boot I have also been given an Angus bull calf who is still on the bottle and also have a Charolais heifer calf on the way from another guy, so hopefully in a year or so won't have to worry about buying beef for a while. The vegetables are starting to produce so hopefully that may help lower the bill.

500N
13th May 2014, 06:15
It's been great for consumers over here with Milk, $2 a litre.
Not so good for the farmers.

CoodaShooda
13th May 2014, 07:31
Bananas at $1.99/kg? :eek:

Ours are currently on special at $3.89. :ugh:

Apparently we have the cheapest sausages in Australia but, for anything else, take the highest southern price and add 30-40%.

If it wasn't so expensive up here, I'd be able to save enough money to move.

500N
13th May 2014, 07:33
Cooda

Yes, Darwin is expensive !

I'll get some meat for you next time I am up there ;)

beaufort1
13th May 2014, 07:53
Interesting thread, we are dependent on our weekly ship to bring in provisions. SWMBO has been keeping a spread sheet the last couple of years since we moved up here and we are spending between £450-£500 a month for the two of us, this does not include booze, cigarettes or dog food. We do grow quite a lot of fresh veg. in the summer as well. To give an example a large white granary loaf is £2.04. Fresh chicken is around the £10.00 mark.

Metro man
13th May 2014, 08:42
Darwin is expensive because the trucks go up full and have to come back empty, not very much goes the other way.

Australian food is usually very good quality but imports are tightly controlled due to the risk of introducing new plant and animal diseases. Cheap bananas from the Philippines aren't available and when a cyclone wiped out most of the local crop a few years back, the few that were available would normally have been rejected and cost more per kilo than caviar.

As soon as a unionised Aussie worker mixes two ingredients together the cost trebles so preparing your own food is much cheaper and healthier.

Singapore sources food from all over the world with onions coming from India, beef from Brazil, bananas from the Philippines and milk from Australia. With negligible local agriculture, quarantine restrictions are few. Eating out is cheap as low cost foreign labour is used in catering. However living as a westerner and buying the same brands as you would in your own country gets very expensive, go native it's much cheaper.

Worrals in the wilds
13th May 2014, 10:39
500N, out of interest is a satsuma the same thing as a mandarin? I recently saw the word in a book and had to look it up, but the definition wasn't clear :\.
It's been great for consumers over here with Milk, $2 a litre.
Not so good for the farmers. Pretty cruddy milk, too. Flavourless and watery, IMO, and it doesn't seem to go off like the old milk did, which is a bit of a worry :ooh:. I worked with a bloke who'd previously worked at one of the big milk factories, and he said that these days it was all powdered and reconstituted. Dunno if it's true...

I buy from these guys :ok:. They're more expensive (and I'm lucky to be able to afford it) but their dairy products actually taste like dairy.
Organic milk, cream, cheese : Barambah Organics (http://www.barambahorganics.com.au/)

Re the alleged banana-bender banana monopoly, the big retailers have been trying to import bananas for years, but DAFF says it's too risky. :8
Fact sheet: Biosecurity policy determination for bananas - Department of Agriculture (http://www.daff.gov.au/ba/ira/final-plant/banana-philippines/biosecurity_policy_determination_for_bananas)
IIRC New Zealand refuses to import several Australian primary products (like honey) for similar reasons.;)

500N
13th May 2014, 10:43
Worrals

Yes, it is - well, for all intense and purposes they seem to be the same
thing as far as I can remember what my mum brought home !

Worrals
Interesting what you say about the milk. I totally agree with you,
milk is so watery now and doesn't go off.

Find Permeate free to be nothing like milk - that whole thing of
permeate free is just barking up the wrong tree.

A2 milk seems to be becoming more and more popular.

G-CPTN
13th May 2014, 10:52
Tangerine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangerine)s, satsuma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satsuma_%28fruit%29)s and clementine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clementine)s are all related but not identical cultivars of the orange family.

Worrals in the wilds
13th May 2014, 10:53
Cheers :).
These days milk marketing seems to rival soft drink and beer marketing; full of buzz words, nebulous claims, 'small producer' style labels and the same ol' big producers' name in the small print at the bottom of the label. :suspect:

Tankertrashnav
13th May 2014, 11:07
Mrs TTN has a knack of spotting the knock down prices which supermarkets put on food as it reaches the sell-by date. Wouldnt touch "fresh veg" as it has deteriorated so much, but supermarkets underestimate how long beef will last, and reduce it totally unnecessarily (not that we complain). Her best buy was two 8 oz fillet steaks for 80p each!

cattletruck
13th May 2014, 13:14
The cost of living in Australia is absurd and as a consequence I've been forced to change my grocery shopping habits (and diet).

Now when I see a favourite non perishable food items on special discount, I may buy 4 or 6 of them. Bottled milk, cereals, margarine are now out of my diet (too processed and too bland). Meat is something I enjoy but I tend to hold off and avoid the scraps for the better cuts by only eating meat once or twice a week. In fact that's my philosophy right now, hold off on something to save up for something really good. And I usually manage to treat myself to eating out once a week.

I reckon I'm averaging about AU$15 day on groceries which also includes alcohol. I'm sure I can do even better by stopping a few indulgences.

Key to this is recognising that in the west we eat (and sh!t) a lot more than we need to.

In Med Europe I can make 10 Euro (AU$15) go a long long way in their supermarkets.

Beagle-eye
13th May 2014, 13:27
Interesting thread. I, too, keep monthly spreadsheet and this question has prompted me to look back on the data. We are fortunate that we have never had to "stint" ourselves but we do always look for a bargain. I'm afraid that I cannot separate out the booze from the everyday food and household items but the rise in £/person is noticable :

2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
Foodstuffs £5,761 £5,451 £6,218 £7,610 £8,152 £7,861 £8,040 £8,955 £7,595
Persons 4 4 4 4 4 4 3 3 2.5
£/person £1,440 £1,363 £1,555 £1,903 £2,038 £1,965 £2,680 £2,985 £3,038

B-E

onetrack
13th May 2014, 14:18
We shop weekly on average and our grocery bill at the checkout is usually around AU$130.00-140.00.
That's just the two of us, no pets any more, no bad habits such as smokes or excessive amounts of alcohol.
I don't drink much and SWMBO doesn't drink at all due to alcohol intolerance.
We don't skimp on food, but we don't indulge in much "fast food" such as cakes, pastries, pizzas or takeaway foods.
We buy our vegies from local growers markets and meat from either supermarkets or local butchers.

We contribute $300.00 each a week into the household kitty and that covers all our household expenses - council rates, water, electricity, gas, insurances, household item replacements, car rego, dining out about 3 times a week, and minor house maintenance costs.
Fuel for the car is not included in this figure. We have solar panels that reduce our power bill to probably less than $100.00 annually.

We in Oz have a problem with the tyranny of distance, only two major supermarket chains, and just over 1/7th of Americas population spread over the same area as the continental U.S.
Thus we cannot get the economies of scale, or competition, that the U.S. has in food production and retailing.

We don't have a lot of smaller taxes that other countries have, such as school taxes or fire dept taxes or sheriffs dept taxes.
We have a 10% GST or VAT on most items except the basic foods. Processed foods incur GST.

After having travelled around many European countries and the U.K., I believe food quality (meat, fruit and vegies) is better in Oz than the EU.
We have a very large variety of good quality meats and produce available all year round. However, trucking these products long distances adds to their cost substantially.
You can end up with some pretty expensive food in rural, interior and Northern areas of Oz.

Here's the Coles and Woolworths catalogs for Perth this week, with this weeks "specials". We pay about 10% more on the West Coast than the East, due to most major food processing facilities being on the East Coast.
Regular prices are listed, but the cleverer members of the population don't pay the "regular" prices if they can avoid it.
Fast foods or "junk" snack foods with high sugar or fat content are the ones with the highest markup and are the greatest profit-makers for the stores.

Coles supermarket specials, Perth - https://www.coles.com.au/catalogues/weekly/current/c-wa-met/index.html#/1/

Woolworths supermarket specials - Perth - Shop or Browse Specials - Woolworths Online (http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/Shop/BrowseSpecials#url=/)

Alloa Akbar
13th May 2014, 14:27
Aldi is your friend in the UK.. :ok:

Ken Borough
13th May 2014, 14:28
We don't have a lot of smaller taxes that other countries have, such as school taxes or fire dept taxes or sheriffs dept taxes.

I don't know about 'The West' but we in NSW who are responsible enough to insure our properties, there is a significant element in the premium termed 'Fire Brigade Levy'. The State Govt has decided I believe to abolish that and replace it with a special property tax that will be levied on every property owner. Whether all of this tax makes its way to fund the Fire Brigade is another matter.

Gertrude the Wombat
13th May 2014, 14:43
Norway ain't cheap
Went to Norway once, several years ago. Something like £8 for a burger?

Exascot
13th May 2014, 15:01
Just seen my bank statement for two beers at the airport hotel in DXB £19. :eek: Glad I was knackered and went to bed. Botswana is half the price of Greece.

rgbrock1
13th May 2014, 15:04
Where the Mrs. and I live in NY it costs us approx. $130-$150 per week for groceries. For just the 2 of us. We do not eat extravagantly at all but such is the price for groceries in our area of NY.

SOPS
13th May 2014, 15:07
I'm always amazed when I'm in the States how cheap food is compared to Australia.

rgbrock1
13th May 2014, 15:09
SOPS:

I think it depends on where in the States you are. In some areas groceries/food cost substantially more than in other areas.

Octopussy2
13th May 2014, 16:08
How much does it cost? Loads. I don't have details - don't want to know!

That said, the quality of meat and veg is very good.

RadarContactLost
13th May 2014, 16:28
Small outback Qld. town.. 18 pack coke, $11.99. 1kg colby cheese $11.99 mince (ground beef) $11.99 per kg, ham, $16.99 per kg, bacon $11.98 per kg, kellogs corn flakes $7.79 for 500 grams, campbells soup, $3.89 for 430 gram tin, bread, $3.89 per loaf, iced coffee $4.98 per litre, maccona coffee $12.99 per 200 grams, pringles, 1 tin $4.29, drumstick ice cream, $7.49 for a 4 pack... :ugh:

500N
13th May 2014, 16:31
Country areas in Aus are horrendous for pricing of small goods.

In fact, most things.

driftdown
13th May 2014, 16:35
In Bahrain about GBP 100 per week for two, not missing out on high cost items like seafood and not including alcohol etc.

RadarContactLost
13th May 2014, 16:48
Right you are, 500. 500 grams prawns, $20.00. New battery for my 4runner, $148.00. They even add 10 or twenty cents onto the price of the newspaper for delivery, depending on where you buy it. :ugh: Rent is $350 per week.... 30 pack of peter jackson blue is $24.95 at iga, go to the bp and add $1.20 onto that. 700 mil canadian club, $39.99 for 700 mil... :ugh::ugh:

Solid Rust Twotter
13th May 2014, 17:04
Not too bad out here considering, although it is getting pricey now. Depending on cut and whether pork, chook, beef or lamb, meat is around $2 to $10 per kg. Veg and fruit are pretty good, with a 10kg bag of potatoes around $4 and a 5kg bag of onions around $2. Small bag of apples around a dollar, avocados in the region of 25c to 40c (US) each or a tray of them for $3. Bag of oranges in season (10kg) is $3 and bananas are 60c per kg.

Boerewors of good quality is about $5.50/kg and a 5kg rump roast can be had for about $35. Quick frozen chicken portions are around $4 - $6 for a 2kg bag. Beef mince is around $5/kg.

Lamb is ridiculously expensive due to astronomical stock theft losses. The local pop call them take-aways as it's so easy to shove one under each arm and just walk away. Farmers often find fleeces in the veld where they've been slaughtered and skinned and many report losses running at 70% of the flock or more. A 2kg leg of lamb is close to $40.

spInY nORmAn
13th May 2014, 20:33
Northern Canada communities have you all beat.

http://grist.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/551774_390845150951545_1695205800_n.jpeg?w=470http://img.izismile.com/img/img5/20120612/640/food_prices_skyrocket_in_northern_canada_640_17.jpghttp://balanceoffood.typepad.com/.a/6a00e55214ffbe883401630693a5e8970d-800wihttp://i.huffpost.com/gen/745888/thumbs/r-NORTHERN-FOOD-PRICES-large570.jpghttp://www.thatericalper.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/178915_10151806036015707_656693739_n.jpeghttp://static4.businessinsider.com/image/4fd654e7ecad04cd1900000b/canada--up-nunavut.jpghttp://img.izismile.com/img/img5/20120612/640/food_prices_skyrocket_in_northern_canada_640_08.jpg

500N
13th May 2014, 20:37
Jesus, that is expensive.

Northern Canada - why the hell do they need to fly or drive in bottled Spring water ?

It's not like a shortage of good water exists up there ?

or am I missing something ?

Worrals in the wilds
13th May 2014, 21:34
Holy cow! :eek:
I think they're paying less than that in the Australian Antarctic Territory. :uhoh:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
13th May 2014, 21:42
It's all relevant to take-home income. Taxes are lower, and if you have a job, wages are huge. I know a couple of guys who work up there, and they aren't complaining.
The trick for our guys is to work 4 months in the North, then either
1) sit on their backsides for the other 8 months down here.
2) work back down here too. One guy started doing this in construction 3 years ago, and with the grubstake earned now has a million dollar business back here.

Bananas 77c a lb this week, good ground coffee $7/ lb, fresh mussels $3 / lb if you bring your own saucepan.

BenThere
13th May 2014, 21:51
$64.99 for 'Best Value chicken', and it doesn't look at all exceptional. No thanks. But if I were making $300/hour I guess there's a tradeoff.

I've thought over the years, that if I had to, I could live on beans, grind my own flour from hard red winter wheat, raise and butcher my own lambs and goats, and survive on 20-40 or so acres with a river and woods, shooting some game in the bargain. I could do that for nothin', provided I own the land, and the gov'mint stays out of my business.

flying lid
13th May 2014, 22:18
Wigan Kebab, £2

http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/wigan%20kebab.jpg

Slosh it down with a bottle of Coors light or three. Asda special today, 3 boxes of 15 x 330ml bottles (45 in all) for £20.

Dogs bollocks !!

Lid

ChrisVJ
13th May 2014, 22:18
We're empty nesters. There's things I like and things I don't about that. One I don't is buyng iddy biddy bits of chuk or the smallest pack of mince (and then cutting it in two!) Makes me feel a bit sad when I see it.

We eat for about $100 a week between us but only because Mrs VJ is about the most aggessive shopper price wise I have ever seen. This is a resort town and some prices are therefore a bit higher than down in the smoke.

We sure are eating less meat and smaller portions than we used to. Used to eat steak regularly and lamb occasionally. Steak is very occasional now and haven't had lamb at home since dunnowhen.

Some things are just stupid. Cheapest cheese, apart form blocks of soppy plastic cheddar start at $35 a kilo and go up to $90. That's because we have a government Milk Marketing Board to protect us! I make my own wine (UGH!) bake my own bread and of course make marmalade. (You can't buy good marmalade here at any price.) Now I'm going to try cheese making.

Seems these days there's always a scare or a reason for higher prices coming right up. Last month it was disaster drought in california, this month it's hog disease.

What is currently p*ss*ng me orf is the price of kidney. $30 a Kilo and all they do with it if I don't buy it is put it in dog food. More expensive than the beef I put in the pies! How is that? Twelve pies made and frozen for about $18 as opposed to buying lesser quality for $6 each. Now I am a damned pie maker too.

ExSp33db1rd
13th May 2014, 22:33
We spend time in California each year, and are always amazed at how significantly cheaper everyday living expenses are compared to NZ.

Mrs. ExS goes to the US Supermarket and uses Coupons, Senior Discount on Tuesdays, Special Offers etc. etc. and usually reduces the original bill by about 40 % But it needs concentration and dedication.

And we don't need a car, being only about 5 minutes walk from a carton of milk 24 hrs of the day, instead of a 14 km drive, so we come back having shed a few pounds, too.

If I could work out how to provide for increasing health care costs - not being a US citizen myself - I would be temped to try and stay.

Thinks ! I could just black my face and walk over the Mexican Border, then Obama would pay for my hospital expenses. Buenos Dias, Amigo.

( How do I get into Mexico ? )

Worrals in the wilds
13th May 2014, 23:15
What is currently p*ss*ng me orf is the price of kidney. $30 a Kilo and all they do with it if I don't buy it is put it in dog food. More expensive than the beef I put in the pies! How is that?
I don't know if it's the case in Canada, but down here (some) offal has Gone Trendy. The TV cooking shows have been featuring traditionally cheap stuff like liver, rabbit, 'ox' tail and lamb shanks in their recipes and everyone's jumped on the bandwagon. The retailers/butchers have noticed the increased demand and prices have skyrocketed accordingly.

Not so long ago butchers would give you lamb shanks and ox tail for free if you bought something else and asked nicely. Not any more...:sad:

500N
13th May 2014, 23:21
Offal has become trendy everywhere.

And EVERY piece of the carcass is now sold, skin becomes dog chews,
bones cut up and packaged or bulk bagged. Nothing wasted anymore
- except maybe the hairy bit of the tail !!! :O

Metro man
14th May 2014, 00:02
See how much you pay for fish heads anywhere there is a large Asian community. In a white town they would be used for cat food.

onetrack
14th May 2014, 01:50
We're heading off to Cocos (Keeling) Islands for a winter break for around 3 weeks in July.
Appears to be a lovely spot, but I've been warned about the food prices, so we're taking a 20kg polystyrene fish box filled with food as luggage.
I've been told it's $9.00 just for a lettuce there!!
Those prices might be acceptable if one was earning huge dollars there, but one isn't exactly earning big dollars whilst on holiday.
Most non-perishables appear to be delivered by ship from W.A., but Toll apparently do a freight run with a 737 from W.A.
I could imagine the major part of the perishable food cost is Tolls cut.

ChrisVJ
14th May 2014, 05:03
If the offal thing is coming it certainly hasn't got here. Decent sausages are rare, Liver is findable with effort. Some shops have maybe two packets if we're lucky, Black pudding etc is unheard of and kidney, well about one shop in thirty may have some and I think they are ashamed of it, you have to ask and the butcher goes in the back and brings it out in a plain paper wrapper.

500N
14th May 2014, 05:08
Chris

It is a culture thing. We have one hell of a lot of different cultures here
and Aussies have sampled all of them, picked what they like and go for it.

The thing is, they can make anything tasty :O

I like Liver, Kidney, Black Pudding etc. Love it in fact.

Don't like Tongue, Intestine, Stomach (can't remember what it is called).

Metro man
14th May 2014, 06:16
It's called tripe !

500N
14th May 2014, 06:18
Thanks

I try and not remember it as I have to wash it when it comes out
- it is actually black when it comes out of the stomach but I don't
think anyone would eat it if they saw it.

mikedreamer787
14th May 2014, 06:18
I like Liver, Kidney, Black Pudding etc.

But do watch your cholesterol level 500.
Those foodstuffs do pack a wollop mate! :bored:

500N
14th May 2014, 06:20
My GF said I was unhealthy and made me get a medical.

All clear on all tests across the board :ok:

I still smoke too much and have too much sugar !

mikedreamer787
14th May 2014, 06:24
The smokes and the sugar keep your cholesterol down then! ;)

probes
14th May 2014, 06:33
well, aren't you a picky lot! - BUGS are the protein of our future , remember? :E

7 Insects You'll Be Eating in the Future | Eating Bugs Entomophagy | LiveScience (http://www.livescience.com/40096-eating-insects-bugs-entomophagy.html)

http://i.livescience.com/images/i/000/057/514/iFF/eating-insects.jpg?1380662305

A plate of roasted grasshoppers, or chapulines, is a regional delicacy in southern Mexico.

Fliegenmong
14th May 2014, 11:19
VERY thinly sliced Habernero chilli, and copious lime juice would likely make that OK Probes...washed down with Coronas, tequila shots and Margaritas....

Ok, maybe after enough Coronas, tequila shots and Margaritas are you able to attempt a plate of bugs (and I don't mean Moreton bay bugs!)

500N
14th May 2014, 11:28
No, bugs don't interest me at all.

meadowrun
14th May 2014, 11:40
Can make do without bugs.

Food Rationing & Nutrition in Wartime - 1940's WW2 - YouTube

Wodrick
14th May 2014, 19:09
I vary between 550 and 700 € a month for the two of us. That includes enough alcohol to ruin one liver and all cleaning requirements.
We don't hold back and just buy what we fancy.

500N
14th May 2014, 19:22
Listening to what my Grand mother told me about feeding a family during the war, it amazes me how they did it.

ExSp33db1rd
14th May 2014, 22:04
Listening to what my Grand mother told me about feeding a family during the war, it amazes me how they did it. I can only remember 2 oz. of butter per family per week, and of course "sweets" ( candy to the US readers ) were rationed too, that REALLY hurt !

Apparently the then new fangled Margarine was more plentiful for some reason, so my mother "blended" her 2 oz of butter with a slab of Marg. each week.

On the plus side .......... we didn't have obese schoolchildren, and I've only suffered a bout of measles at age 7 as my total illnesses during my lifetime, ( the occasional cold and flu of course, and orthopeadic issues, but they're not diet related ) so may be "rationing" was A Good Thing, tho' we didn't think so at the time of course !

mikedreamer787
15th May 2014, 05:35
Why did the Rationing continue for so long in
Britain after the war ExSp33d? Can't find any
adequate explanation on the 'net except a lot
of grumblings about it, esp the unfairness of
it since Germany was up and running by 1950.

Metro man
15th May 2014, 05:55
On the plus side .......... we didn't have obese schoolchildren, and I've only suffered a bout of measles at age 7 as my total illnesses during my lifetime, ( the occasional cold and flu of course, and orthopeadic issues, but they're not diet related ) so may be "rationing" was A Good Thing, tho' we didn't think so at the time of course !

But these days we don't have rickets or scurvy. Also in them days children played outside and weren't glued to the TV or computer in their bedrooms.

These days we have a choice, nutritious food is readily available at reasonable prices and you are able to exercise. Some people make the wrong choices, often through lack of knowledge.

ChrisVJ
15th May 2014, 06:24
'cording to what I read there were several years of extremely poor weather in Europe/UK and near famine conditions. Pretty well all Europeans suffered several years of scarcity, including food.

I was born in '44 and remember rationing. Funny thing. Found the ration book the other day in box of forgottens, pretty well all the mementos I got after my mother died. My old surname crossed out and new stepfather's written in pen. That's all it took to change your name then.

500N
15th May 2014, 07:30
I thought some food was still in short supply after the war ?

But I must admit I never understood why it continued until 1953 or 54 ???

When did it end ?

Re rationing, my grand mother used to say I ate too much butter on my toast, I had a months worth of butter in one week :rolleyes:

meadowrun
15th May 2014, 08:42
Rationing continued after the end of the war. In fact, it became stricter after the war ended than during the hostilities. Bread, which was not rationed during the war, was rationed beginning in 1946 and potato rationing began in 1947. This was largely due to the necessity of feeding the population of European areas coming under British control, whose economies had been devastated by the fighting. Sweet rationing ended in February 1953, and sugar rationing ended in September of that year. The final end of all rationing did not come until 1954 with the end of it on meat and bacon.Rationing stopped on the 4th July 1954.

John Hill
15th May 2014, 10:54
There was no shortage of food in NZ in WWII but there was rationing nonetheless.

Pig meat was rationed to provide meat to American forces in the Pacific including almost all of the country's pork and bacon.

Butter was rationed so as to allow more production of cheese which was exported to the UK, their butter supply was coming for Canada but cheese was more suited to the longer shipping from NZ and is also a greater concentration on food energy. Meat (lamb and mutton mostly) had priority for refrigerated shipping to the UK.

Such was the effects of altered food production during the war years that food rationing lasted in NZ into the early '50s.

onetrack
15th May 2014, 11:37
Sizeable supplies of food were sent to Britain from Australia in the late 1940's, to make up for British food production shortages.

At the end of WW2, Britain was only producing 2/3rds of the level of its required food production.
In Australia, "Food for Britain" fundraisers raised many hundreds of thousands of Australian pounds for the purchase of food to be sent to post-War Britain.

The money was used to purchase bulk supplies of grain, meat, butter, jam, dripping, canned food, and many other types of durable foods.
The food supplies from Australia peaked in 1947 and tapered off around the early 1950's.

Australians in the period from 1945 to the early 1950's, could purchase food parcels to send to British people; and by 1947 over 20,000,000 food parcels were finding their way annually to Britain, from Australians.

500N
15th May 2014, 14:01
And that prick Churchill might not have sent back the Kiwi troops but he made sure their well being was looked after by ensuring sheep were available :O

rgbrock1
15th May 2014, 14:16
500N wrote:

by ensuring sheep were available

For what purpose? :}

500N
15th May 2014, 14:18
a "cuddle" and "keeping warm" ;) :O

rgbrock1
15th May 2014, 14:35
500N:

Ah yes. Isn't there a British term for this? Isn't it along the lines of "sheep shaggers"? :}

500N
15th May 2014, 14:36
The Japanese have "comfort women", the kiwis have "sheep".

I had a kiwi tell me once it was OK what they did, the sheep were female :O :ok:

Effluent Man
15th May 2014, 18:26
Mrs EM and myself have fundamentally different approaches to food shopping.Her strategy is to go round the supermarket and throw everything that takes her fancy in the trolley,then she complains about the price.I recently saw a paket containing about 15 blueberries in the fridge - £2.

I call in every day when I go to the gym and take note of what has been moved to the reduced counter at 10% off.Then I call back and get the 50% reductions.We have just had Sirloin steak -two for £3.95

Piper.Classique
15th May 2014, 20:42
Grow all our veggies and about half the fruit. Eggs from the hens. Meat is all organic, bought in ten kilo parcels at a time and frozen. Leaves bread, fish, wine, and cheese, mostly organic, from local producers. Costs whatever is left over after we have paid for the petrol and hangarage for the aircraft. Get your priorités right! And get a really big freezer. I shop once a month, food for the dogs and cats, grain and hay are delivered monthly, as required. Keeping six cats costs about the same as two dogs or three donkeys.

500N
15th May 2014, 20:45
I'd definitely like to have hens and rabbits, grow my own veg when I retire.
used to enjoy keeping hens as a kid plus the eggs were better !