PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or is this just barking mad?

NutLoose
11th May 2014, 15:35
From

Aviation Trading News - Aviation Trading (http://www.aviationtrading.co.uk/news/)

BAE Systems Letter of Authority to Supply EX-MOD Stock

Mar032014
We are now approved to supply Tornado aircraft parts to BAE Systems for their on-going support of UK and other operating partners operations....

read more

So let me get this straight, the MOD are selling the Tornado spares off cheap as Surplus stock to these guys, who are then selling them back to BAe, who in turn are selling them back to the MOD.....

The nutters have indeed taken over the asylum

foxvc10
11th May 2014, 15:51
Been going on for years and years and years.

Buy stuff for next to nothing, sell it back for a ridiculous amount.

racedo
11th May 2014, 15:55
Bribery not allowed under law, now call it something else and jokers get paid big fat bonus by their company and its all legal.

500N
11th May 2014, 15:57
is this where the comment "and the person who signed off gets a nice position in a few years on the board" ?

CoffmanStarter
11th May 2014, 15:57
It wants some understanding Nutty ...

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/home/twamoran/urbanghostsmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/panavia-tornado-f3-scrap-rtp.jpg

Presumably the RAF no longer has the capability/manpower to recover/condition serviceable parts themselves :ugh:

Kitbag
11th May 2014, 16:16
Partly down to Treasury accounting rules where the value of the stock (much of which is no longer produced) is held to be a cost to the owner (MOD) It truly is barking mad, I have seen highly expensive stock sold as scrap and within 6 months gone back to the OEM to try to reopen the production line; not cheap! At least this lot have found a gap where they make a (probably very) profit and the gear is more or less available when needed and not having to wait whilst someone digs out the old loft drawings and tries to relearn the manufacturing process.

The B Word
11th May 2014, 16:50
As there are no flying boots in stock, I had to buy a brand new pair on ebay! Either that or my feet got wet!

Squippers/Stackers tell me that the Company (Haines and Cann) that has been making boots for the RAF since the 1919 has lost the contract. The replacement was not fit flr purpose, the old company has now ceased trading and there are no size 10s left in the system.

Goodness knows how much my £45 boots cost the chap in surplus - they were brand new in the cardboard box. :ugh:

The B Word

Roland Pulfrew
11th May 2014, 17:34
Partly down to Treasury accounting rules where the value of the stock

Ahh, the utter stupidity of Resource Accounting and Budgeting!!

Willard Whyte
11th May 2014, 19:10
As there are no flying boots in stock, I had to buy a brand new pair on ebay! Either that or my feet got wet!

Should've worn your raf issue trainers. Give a few old farts a heart attack and almost guarantee a pair of flying boots available pronto.

Contrasts to my current job, chap needed a new pair of steel toecap safety boots and was told to choose a pair from the catalogue: One pair of £100+ Doc Martens bought and paid for by the company.

Mr C Hinecap
11th May 2014, 20:34
Ahh, the utter stupidity of Resource Accounting and Budgeting!!

Nice broad brush statement there, fella. Some good came out of RAB, some bad. Overall, something had to focus attention on what was an unsustainable and very costly situation. Not saying the current example isn't mad, but RAB brought a lot of good as well.

longer ron
11th May 2014, 20:48
Unfortunately one cannot defend clearing out your stores/supply system of most of your useful parts and then buy them back 12 months later at incredible mark ups - I have even seen it done with irreplaceable obsolete parts in stock for a very old a/c still being operated daily !!

truly potty

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th May 2014, 20:54
My particular favourite was selling off the Shackleton tyres when 8 Sqn stood down, then buying them all back again for the BBMF Lanc.:ugh:

NutLoose
11th May 2014, 20:57
Or selling off the Jags, then putting out a tender to buy one back!

smujsmith
11th May 2014, 21:34
I will never forget watching JCBs being used to dismantle the last of the 50 Squadron Vulcans in the 80s. As a techie, I suspect I'm not as "sentimental" as the aircrew who flew these magnificent aircraft, but there was certainly some grit in my eye on that day. Lately, the wanton destruction of the Nimrod MR4A shows how our political pedants have no thought for value, in operational terms. This thread certainly confirms that despite many service inputs, the "system" will continue to cock up, and be profligate with taxpayers money. Funny how when this waste is reported in the press, it's reported as "RAF wastes billions", not "Civil service and Government throw billions away". I won't hold my breath waiting for any change though.

Smudge:ok:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
12th May 2014, 02:30
Mr C Hinecap; reducing 2 years worth of stock (Navy, anyway) down to bugger all stock was a very small one off, in year, saving. RAB was one of the greatest smoke and mirrors magic tricks ever.

A and C
12th May 2014, 08:35
This is what you get when you give power to accountants, they are a breed that should be only allowed to keep the books as accountancy and common sense has no meeting point.

Years back British Airways did the very same thing with its BAC1-11 parts stock, sold off to a very low bidder and then they buy the bits back at five times the price.

The Helpful Stacker
12th May 2014, 10:18
I remember in the years just before RAB reared it's head and companies like MAS and RAMCO rubbed their hands together as the MoD had a firesale to prep for it. So much RAF stock was being sold cheap to them (to later be sold back to the MoD) that both companies trawled the RAF for Q-Supp-SC annotated and other supply personnel in order to run what were effectively privately-owned MU's.

When the head hunters came a'knocking, as an non-Q-Supp-SC annotated SAC working in RAF Locking SCAS (just down the road from MAS), the prospect of a quite significant payrise was tempting.