PDA

View Full Version : Go/EZY@EMA

Simon Lumley
21st May 2002, 08:13
I have been hearing several rumours that once Go has integrated into EZY, that EZY may pull out of EMA...

All you easyjet spotters out there... is there any truth in this?

L8R... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Small Pilot
21st May 2002, 10:55
Highly unlikely I would think.
One of the attractions for EZY in buying GO (apart from to kill-off the competition of course), would be the already established bases at EMA and Bristol - cheaper to buy a base than to set one up fronm scratch and go through all the start-up costs I would think.

Wee Weasley Welshman
21st May 2002, 15:53
EMA is a huge success. It is not in competition with an EZY base. Why close down a profitable rapidly expanding new base that you just bought?

Same goes for BRS.

If it had been the other way around I doubt Go would be looking to close LPL.

The geography of the bases looks like one of the deals biggest strengths to me. GLA, EDI, LPL, EMA, LTN, STN, BRS, LGW. Surely that must put something like 80% of the population within an hour of an easyJet base?

Its certainly going to be good for the pilot workforce - you can live in virtually any part of the country.

Not to mention the AMS, GVA and Paris Orly. Or Germany!

GrahamK
21st May 2002, 19:10
I think the only area not covered with a base is....NE England.

Exel
21st May 2002, 19:21
..........I think the only area not covered with a base is....NE England.

AND THE SOUTH COAST - AT Least 2 hours from any of those bases !!!!

Buster the Bear
21st May 2002, 21:46
EZY operate multiple flights per day to thier destinations. If Go are already doing this then I see no problem.

What price bookies on 'Baby' being sold to Lufty if it is a real success?

no sig
21st May 2002, 21:55
SimonL
It's a bit premature for even this level of rumour if you think that the announcement to merge with Go is but a week old.

GrahamK
21st May 2002, 22:03
Is there anywhere on the South coast for a base?
Southampton.....runway too small?
Bournemouth.....maybe?
Brighton/Shoreham.......
Exter
Plymouth
Newquay

Any more...

:D

stevobeevo
22nd May 2002, 14:51
Graham K

Out of the airports you ran through only bournemouth offers low cost travel at present. Ryanair operate two routes and are planning to add another in 2003. Rumours ripple through the airport about other possible carriers planning to start low cost routes.

Southampton was rumoured to have Go sniffing around, but now the merger with Easy may put an end to that option as Easy have a base up the road at Gatwick.

Exeter is a little close to Bristol for Go/Easy and would clip Bournemouths catchment to the west for Ryanair. Putting a base in Cornwall really would be unfeasible population wise.

Only Bournemouth and Southampton are well placed in the Central South Coast area to generate the PAX nos required. Southampton has a nice modern terminal, but Bournemouth has one in the pipeline (planning now granted) and regarding the length of Southamptons runway. Its big enough to land fully laden B738 from Tenerife in the winter.

Wee Weasley Welshman
22nd May 2002, 16:06
But is SOU big enough to get a full 737 out with Med fuel on an August bank holiday?

Bournemouth couple with Gatwick would seem to be the South Coast options. SOU, Exeter and St Mawgan are all with 90 mins of BRS.

I can't see any more low cost baes in the UK (maybe N Ireland). The focus now is very much on the 80% of the EU currently withought any low cost coverage...

The fleet is supposed to go from 60 odd aircraft to 150 in the next seven years...

682ft AMSL
22nd May 2002, 22:57
"I can't see any more low cost baes in the UK "

Well bmi baby have stated publicly that they are on the search for a new UK base, with a launch data of spring 2003. Buzz are supposedly looking for a 2nd UK base and today MyTravel announced the launch of its own low-cost airline with a Summer 2003 start-up. Add to that the 75 a/c that the EZY/Go combo are rummoured to be ordering, which surely are not all destined for EU bases and you have to think that there will be more UK bases over the next years.

As for where, look for under-utilised airports that are in or within 60 mins of large population areas and which have traditionally lost out to larger neighbours. Leeds, Teesside, Humberside or if developed Finningley all fit the bill in my local area alone.

Jes
23rd May 2002, 09:18
All the London Manston knockers will be shocked when a low-cost base is established there: serious negotiations are taking place now, but my lips are sealed as to the identity of the suitor.

Ian Farquharson
23rd May 2002, 12:35
There is also talk of a low cost carrier about to start services from Birmingham, not sure if it is an existing carrier or a start up.
Announcement due mid June.

Ian

serko
23rd May 2002, 15:49
Jes,

I take it you are talking about someone other than mama-air.

Jes
23rd May 2002, 22:15
Yes Serko: the supplicants speak english, but with a foreign accent.

GVJFK
24th May 2002, 13:03
he refers to FR at Manston

serko
24th May 2002, 13:38
FR is that ryanair? I wouldn't have thought they'd be interested in Manston

GrahamK
24th May 2002, 16:05
Sure they would. Its at least 30 miles from London aint it? :D :rolleyes:

Andy_S
24th May 2002, 16:54
I believe they plan to advertise it as Calais-Manston :D :D :D

Caslance
24th May 2002, 17:04
No, mate, it's Paris West!:D

GrahamK
24th May 2002, 18:34
Wouldnt it be Amsterdam or Brussels west? ;)

Wee Weasley Welshman
25th May 2002, 17:34
MyTravel entering the low cost market is laughable. Its an idea floated to deflect the city a little from its poor figures this year.

I think its clear that Europe will have two big low cost airlines - FRA and EZY.

One focussed on rock bottom prices and the other on mostly cheap fares to mostly convenient airports. Those two business models are distinct enough to be viable in tandem.

In time either of the big boys could either;

a) Purchase Buzz, Virgin Express, BMI Baby or whoever enters the market.

b) Plonk 5 aircraft a day on the route and cripple them out of business.

Manston is a hell of long time out of London. There is nothing to the North, East or South of it other than fish. There is no M-way or Rail link. Nobody outside of aviation would know where London-Manston is.

Nice runway though.

Fortunately the growth in air travel over the next decade will be great enough to see everyone in a job throughout these turbulent changes.