PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh trips

Arnold E
11th May 2014, 10:01
Hey guys, is there any of you blokes that have previously been to Oshkosh taken a ride in the B17 or the Ford Trimotor, if so how long is the ride? I am thinking of doing it this year but it is fairly expensive and I would want a bit more than just a circuit. Its US$409 :)

VH-XXX
11th May 2014, 10:34
Someone with us went on the TriMotor, but it was quite a bit less than what you've quoted; pretty much like going on a joyride at an airshow, whereas the B17 takes off from another airport (not OshKosh) and does a fly-over OshKosh as part of it, so you are certainly getting more value than a circuit.

airspace alpha
12th May 2014, 02:50
For 2014:

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/features-and-attractions/flight-experience-rides (http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/features-and-attractions/flight-experience-rides)

Trimotor: US$ 75 walk-up. Depart Oshkosh and fly over the lake- past the seaplane site. Time anywhere around 15 minutes. Best seats are the two right up front and in-line with the engines.

Bell 47: US$49 Walk up near the museum. 5-7 minute flight taking in the camping, aircraft parking and showground. 2 seats (centre and right) no doors. A must-do for that panoramic Oshkosh image.

Schweizer 333 turbine helo. US$740 for two people for 30 minutes? No thanks. (And it did not do a lot of flying last year)

B17 From US$409-475 based on whether you are an EAA member etc. Its based at Appleton airport and it takes up a fair bit of one day for the experience.

B29- yes you can fly in the B29 but it’s not coming to Oshkosh this year. Prices when you can find it are: Bombardier seat US$1595, Copilot seat $1095, gunners seats $595. The B24 liberator IS coming and normally charges US$399 a seat- but sadly its only on static display this year so no joy flights.

The CAF are also offering a number of rides:
http://www.airpowersquadron.org/#!airventure-oshkosh-wi/cbtv (http://www.airpowersquadron.org/#!airventure-oshkosh-wi/cbtv)

Mustang: US$1795 for 30 minutes

T6 texan: US$ 395 for 30 minutes or US$645 for aerobatics

Stearman: US$225 or US$395 aerobatics. One of the australian tour group people was in this ( or waiting for it?) last year when it did a ground loop.

Dora-9
12th May 2014, 06:51
Airspace Alpha:

Great info there, thanks.

Any idea where you get to sit in the B-17?

airspace alpha
12th May 2014, 07:07
Full information here: apparently you can go everywhere except the ball turret and the tail
B-17 Flight Experience Information | EAA (http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/flight-experiences/aluminum-overcast-eaa-b-17-bomber-tour/b-17-flight-experience-information)
And there is an apparently VERY cool B17 jacket available for purchase (around US$450?) only for those who have flown

flyhardmo
12th May 2014, 13:48
I went up in the B17 last yr. all the info on here is accurate.

You can purchase an EAA membership at the gate and that gives you a discount. There were 2 of us so it worked out cheaper to buy a membership and save with a B17 flight purchase.

They drive you to Appleton, about 15min away and it takes off from there overflying Oshkosh then turning around and heading back. Flight time 15-20mins. From the time the wheels are up you can walk around all over (except ball and tail turret) until about 30secs before touchdown where you have to strap in. Where you sit for T/O and LDG is allocated by the crew chief.
Afterwards they drive you back to Oshkosh.

While expensive I thoroughly enjoyed, as did everyone else on board (mostly Aussies). You have to book the trip early morning or in advance as it fills up quickly.

My other mates went in the ford TRI motor and enjoyed that as well.
When will you ever get the chance to fly in a WW2 bomber again?

206greaser
12th May 2014, 14:38
Ummm exactly!! The B-17!! As an aerosexual there are few planes I want to be inside more than a B-17! One day I will go to Oshkosh, one day...

Avgas172
12th May 2014, 21:32
What 206said.....

Arnold E
14th May 2014, 11:08
Thanks for the info guys, but I am having trouble trying to book the flight, when I push the buy tickets button it tries to sign me up to Eaa membership, but I am already a member. Must be American web sites.:confused:

Mick.B
14th May 2014, 11:14
Just book it at the show. I just walked up last year and got straight on. Get in early during the week though. Great experience. Old blokes are great value. Very casual attitude and they love Aussies. If you have enough coin, I recon you should have a crack in the Commemorative Airforce P-51 Mustang. Had a go last year and by chance I formatted with 3 other P-51s over Lake Winabago.
Never in my wildest dream would I have thought I would be in a 4 ship of Stangs.

Aussie Bob
14th May 2014, 21:59
Will you guys please shut up!!!!

All you are doing is reminding of what could have been right here in Australia if we had a regulator with a mandate to foster aviation.

fencehopper
15th May 2014, 08:52
B17 is well worth the cost, I booked before i left as it was a bit cheaper and as it turned out all booked out for the week when i arrived. Appleton is only a 30 minute drive north would not have been gone for more than 2 hrs maybe. great experience and you get a good idea just how big Airventure is when you fly over the site. HUGE. Be carefull standing in the line, They tease you no end to ride the P51 around 1500 bucks, the B29 has been available as well for the past two years. 1200 bucks for the ride in the nose. Tri Motor around 70$. Save up and try to fly in everything as you just can't experience any of those aircraft here. Well maybe the P51 but not the way they fly them. yehaaaa.

Arnold E
23rd May 2014, 23:41
Well I am booked and paid for the ride in the B17, maybe I will see some of you guys over at Osh.

Delta kilo
25th May 2014, 00:21
I'm booked in for the a.m. on the 31st. :ok:When are you flying, Arnold?
DK.

Arnold E
25th May 2014, 00:28
PM on the 29th.:)

Delta kilo
2nd Aug 2014, 17:26
B17 - YouTube (http://youtu.be/JQfbvYzPKOk)

:D

Mick.B
4th Aug 2014, 01:34
On my way home one currently 36000 ft over Nebraska. What a wonderfully week it has been. Anyone who has not done it....... You got to. At least once in your lifetime. Nothing like it in the world.