PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision 2014

Rwy in Sight
10th May 2014, 18:46
Since it starts at about one hour, I thought about starting a thread. Who is going to win and who did the most impressive appearance.

Rwy in Sight

SpringHeeledJack
10th May 2014, 18:50
The 'thing' with the beard will win :} The main entertainment will come from the voting war between Russia and Ukraine, well noted for their European locations :rolleyes:

SHJ

probes
10th May 2014, 18:59
yep, it will be interesting, especially since there are Russians everywhere voting for Russia :cool:.
The twins were quite cute actually, but the hamsterwheel... who knows?

(on second thoughts, we thought we had never seen anything as horrid as Dima Bilan+show, rose petals and shirts ripped open and all, some years ago, and then he/Russia won).

Shaggy Sheep Driver
10th May 2014, 19:07
I'm amazed the posters above have some knowledge of it. Does anyone actually watch it?

probes
10th May 2014, 19:13
of course they watch - did you imagine the millions who vote, don't?

I do. Well, not glued to the TV, but I do. Interesting, as a really weird event. A couple of good songs mostly, too.

Mad Monk
10th May 2014, 19:41
SHJ.
I concur with your curiosity.
However, the geographical definition of Europe is:
"Europe is a peninsula that makes up the western fifth of the Eurasian landmass.
Its maritime borders are made up of the Arctic Ocean to the north, the Atlantic Ocean to the west and the Mediterranean, Black and Caspian Seas to the south; the Ural Mountains, Ural River and the Caucasus Mountains are the geographical land border of the eastern edge."
Just how Turkey and Israel qualify is a political query.

Bob Bevan
10th May 2014, 19:56
Anyone see Gemini on Pointless tonight? They were our null point Eurovision entries from a few years back. True to form they blew their chances of resurrection when they went out of the quiz in the first round. Clearly destined for greatness!

Lon More
10th May 2014, 20:04
Anyone see Gemini on Pointless tonightBilled on Sky as being a round with comedians.
Off to the pub as soon as it all kicks off

Sailor Vee
10th May 2014, 20:23
Ukraine kicked it all off, no great song, but the singer was well fit! ;)

SpringHeeledJack
10th May 2014, 20:44
I'm amazed the posters above have some knowledge of it. Does anyone actually watch it?

It's an event, a spectacle no more no less. In the past it was more interesting, everyone singing in their own language mostly, dressed in clothing that was both shocking in it's style and back-in-the-day-ness (without a trace of irony). A festival of kitsch and bad taste that was hilarious if taken in the right spirit. Best enjoyed with a group of friends, some drinks of choice and a few silly party games.

These days it's a case of almost everyone singing in English, their clothing and performance slick and sophisticated, it's almost a waste of time them representing a country/culture to be honest. The voting, always a bit on the partisan side, has become totally political the last few years and I'd imagine that the side show between Ukraine and Russia will dominate the voting phase tonight.

I thought that the multicolour suited group of blokes playing 3rd or 4th spot were great and deserve to be amongst the runners :ok: That all said, I totally understand anyone who says it's a bunch of crap :}

SHJ

500N
10th May 2014, 20:55
"I'm amazed the posters above have some knowledge of it. Does anyone actually watch it?"

It had died a suitable death over here in Aus, until a very funny lady called Julia Zamero and one other were sent over for a TV Station.

She is involved in a very well done Music quiz show in Aus and apart from being OK on the eyes, makes anything interesting.

So of course we now get a few hour show on TV, which I would only watch if a really good song was going to be played.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
10th May 2014, 21:07
Has there been a memorable song in it since Waterloo?

I thought the ESC was something the BBC was contractually obliged to transmit - a hangover from the wonders of 'Eurovision'... 'gosh, black and white live TV all the way from Paris!'.

Didn't 'live TV from the USA via space and Goonhilly Down' out-gosh it? :)

500N
10th May 2014, 21:16
What about "Making Your Mind Up" Bucks Fizz"

Wasn't too bad.

Celine Deon ?

airship
10th May 2014, 21:28
I think I last watched it when Abba competed (if they actually did, my mind is hazy).

Whatever, this year may be the last one when any UK competitor is allowed to officially compete (unless masquerading as a Turkish one maybe). Considering that the UK may leave the EU as early as... ;)

barnstormer1968
10th May 2014, 21:59
Poland have it for me.
I loved the performance :)

probes
10th May 2014, 21:59
A couple of good songs mostly, too.
ok, I was wrong this year. :oh:

SpringHeeledJack
10th May 2014, 22:54
Poland have it for me.
I loved the performance

Yes the Polish ladies were quite 'ahem' enchanting :E

I'm still hot for the nutters from Iceland. The Dutch entry was very cool, though perhaps not eurotrashy enough for success. I still have a problem with entries from countries that sound, look and perform as if they were from the USA. It bears NO relation or relevance to that country other than they won the competition to represent said country. The bearded lady is on the up and up :}

SHJ

N707ZS
10th May 2014, 23:54
Bearded lady wins!!!

PTT
10th May 2014, 23:57
The Icelanders were superb!

zarniwoop
11th May 2014, 00:01
It hasn't been worth watching since Terry Wogan got booted off as the UK presenter, maybe the BBC got upset about him downing a few bottles of Pinot Grigiot before the show even started. Can't say I can blame him, I think I'd need something a bit stronger to do the job.

Cacophonix
11th May 2014, 00:02
**** the naked Jesus...

Lordi "Hard Rock Hallelujah" - YouTube

Caco

Noah Zark.
11th May 2014, 00:09
I really can't stand to watch the 'show' itself, but I am always drawn to the farce that is the voting/points tally at the end.
What did occur to me in this year's session was that of 37 countries who voted, only one cast their votes in their native tongue, which I think made them look rather churlish in front of all the other nations, who used the common language, English.
France. It's a good job their sour grapes don't often make it into their beautiful wine!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th May 2014, 01:08
So, it was won by a German-speaking bearded Drag Queen.
Can you think of a competitor more likely to piss Putin off?
Looks like the voters in Europe couldn't ;)

parabellum
11th May 2014, 02:57
I thought Terry Wogan gave it up voluntarily, fed up with the block voting of the Eastern European countries and the way it was then 'fixed?

probes
11th May 2014, 07:49
but it's a good lesson on what could happen with people, given the means (money) and motivation (blaming at home for a bad place). Also what's "trendy" - how weird can the objects actually become that have been taken to the stage to catch attention? Plus the irony - a country song where people 'just stood and sang' was successful.

sitigeltfel
11th May 2014, 08:08
I thought Terry Wogan gave it up voluntarily, fed up with the block voting of the Eastern European countries and the way it was then 'fixed?

I watched the last half hour or so and it appeared that many of the countries awarded the top votes to their near neighbours.

acbus1
11th May 2014, 09:18
The Spanish Inquisition/SS/Tower of London missed a trick.

'So, you vill not confess? Well, zen, ve have some 'songs' for you to listen too...hah, hah, hah, hah, haaaaaaaaaaah'. :rolleyes:

ATNotts
11th May 2014, 11:06
The Dutch entry was by a mile the best song, and best sung entry - I was amazed to see it made 2nd place. I'd bet that worldwide, that song will achieve many more sales than Conchita Sausage from Austria.

Notable that every year the French language becomes more irrelevant to proceedings. This year, just one song sung in French (the French one - and even their performers started in English) and just one national presenter speaking in French (coincidentally, the French one - who rambled on for what seems to be an eternity, to the obvious irritation of the Danish comperes. Even the stalwarts of the French language, Belgium and Switzerland whose to sing and speak in English. How long before the EBU finally tries to drop the bilingual farce once and for all?

I'm afraid the British entry was weak; a nondescript song, sung by an artiste who's vocal range and power was dwarfed by many of the rest in the field. Still, 17th weren't bad, and we did beat the German entry, which was equally as weak as the UK's.

Roll on 2015! At least it's entertainment, which is more than can be said for most of what the BBC / ITV / Sky serve up on Saturday nights for the rest of the year.

CATIII-NDB
11th May 2014, 11:32
SHJ was quite correct Poland "If they can do a bit of plastering they can start on Monday or for me any other day of the week" were errrrr stunning. My grandmother used to make butter like that.

The She-Emanuensis was the "Wurst" clichéd sterotype of the Drag-Queen irrespective of His/her actual gender preferences. But I missed his/her actual acceptence speech, where he/she did ? actually allude to his/her sexuallity. The main purpose was to righfully dig at the hostile anti Gay/Lesbian laws being enacted in Russia and it succeded in spades.

[Edit: I don't think Russia will be back next year, unless Putin sings their entry and his vocal range (like mine) depends on the threat posed]

Songwise the Duch should have won.

UK last song in the running order - i.e Pee break time

The bit I did not get was for the UK, the strange interlude between the Hosts and the UK Commentator Graham Norton. Was it Humor, A knive jobbie or settling an old personal score?

Overall I preferred the Swedish Show last year.

CAT III

Capetonian
11th May 2014, 11:40
I have just looked at a couple of clips of this emetic spectacle. The Austrian thing looks like a cleaned up version of Russell Brand.

Predictably, out of the rest, the only ones with any merit or charm were Poland and Iceland, and I've seen and heard better acts in clubs in the back streets of Warsaw and Reykjavik.

Wishing I hadn't bothered ...........

surely not
11th May 2014, 11:48
Just heard the Swedish entry and it was way better than the winner, but clearly she was disadvantaged by being normal.

But on re watching the Polish performance..................... they were robbed for certain.

500N
11th May 2014, 11:51
It just confirms in my mind how much "funny business" goes on
in this comp.

ATNotts
11th May 2014, 12:30
CATIII-NDB

The bit I did not get was for the UK, the strange interlude between the Hosts and the UK Commentator Graham Norton. Was it Humor, A knive jobbie or settling an old personal score?

Bit of each I think - the UK has history with Wogan's commentaries, and Norton has tried to keep up the Wogan style / standard - dependent upon your point of view.

I was watching on ARD where Peter Urban's commentary is still cynical / sarcastic at times, but not quite so as the BBC style which I find grates a little. Unfortunately a storm killed the satellite signal during the "Norton interlude" - I would have liked to hear Urban's take on it.

SpringHeeledJack
11th May 2014, 12:53
It hasn't been worth watching since Terry Wogan got booted off as the UK presenter, maybe the BBC got upset about him downing a few bottles of Pinot Grigiot before the show even started. Can't say I can blame him, I think I'd need something a bit stronger to do the job.

Wogan was funny but got too old for the core audience, Norton became the camp successor who carried on with the acerbic put-downs with more than a grain of truth. Then 2 or 3 years ago he rightly took the p1ss out of the Albanian entry which was dire, and Albanian immigrants watching in the UK got VERY upset and I believe that he might have been threatened, so that's why the commentary is somewhat bland these days. Nice to know that after going to all the effort to move to another country they still felt more loyalty/affinity to their land of birth :hmm:

The winner was good, in the ballpark with a Bond-movie song, but you had the feeling that a political point was being made rather than a musical one. The old eastern-bloc countries will always vote politically in the ESC, it doesn't do to vex the neighbours unduly.

SHJ

ATNotts
11th May 2014, 13:15
The old eastern-bloc countries will always vote politically in the ESC, it doesn't do to vex the neighbours unduly.

Indeed; but it's not just the eastern Europeans.

There is generally a mutual appreciation society between the UK and Ireland. Greece and Cyprus always swap 12 points, similarly Spain and Portugal (though not on this occasion. The Germans generally support the Austrians, and v.v., and the Turks normally do well out of Germany, because of the big Turkish population in Germany. Did Poland do well out of the UK last night? - I can't remember.

It's as much to do with regional tastes in music, as for politics I think.

4mastacker
11th May 2014, 15:22
The best thing about that Eurovision thingy last night was it being a good excuse to watch Susannah York playing Section Officer Harvey over on Channel 5.

cattletruck
11th May 2014, 15:48
Crikey, I thought they misspelt Australia, then I remembered whose contest it was.

Freakshow!

mattpilot
11th May 2014, 16:18
Never watched Eurovision, probably never will. But when i heard "Austria Won", i was kinda ... proud (i'm austrian). So anyway, i hop on youtube and listen to the song/watch the video.

OH THE HUMANITY.....

did i mention i'm not austrian? yea... thats the story i'm going with.

OFSO
11th May 2014, 16:22
Heard a rumour that the Vatican City is going to have an entry in 2015.

Well, why not - this one did OK, didn't she ?

The Singing Nun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singing_Nun)

Miraculix
11th May 2014, 17:40
Being a Dane myself I can perhaps shed a little light on the "Graham Norton" joke.

Most Dane's have grown up with The Dave Allan show, Benny Hill, Monty Phyton flying circus and films, Fawlty Towers, Mr Bean, Black Adder, Allo Allo and so on.

Knowing that Brits can take a joke and having watched the Graham Norton Show, the producers were probably sure to get a "good" response from Graham on this stunt, were as some speakers from other countries might have taken it "badly".

Just my thought of it, I might be very wrong.

Hilico
11th May 2014, 18:54
The Danes watch a lot of Brit comedy? Ah, that would explain why the skit about the 'Eurovision Museum' was so funny ( an arthritic Johnny Logan, Lordi terrifying four-year-olds etc).

The multi-coloured suit song was entertaining, Finland had best song, Poland had my vote (several times, and the vote of every other lecher too) and the UK's was the usual depressing girl-power nasal whine that deserved negative points.

Best song since Waterloo was Estonia's incredibly good Eighties Coming Back by Ruffus in 2003.

It came 20th.

Capetonian
11th May 2014, 18:57
Poland had my vote (several times, and the vote of every other lecher too)Who are you calling a lecher?
Oh, I see ............. OK then .........!

probes
12th May 2014, 06:51
yep, now that you've spelled it out - as it's a 'vision' contest - so all the weird things make more sense :p.

mikedreamer787
12th May 2014, 07:00
I was unfortunate enough to see the winner of said contest
and nearly puked before managing to change channels. From
now on Eurovision contest results are off my list of things to
watch.

I recall the 1974 Contest. True talent and showmanship had
abounded, free of freakshows and weird hybrids of monkey -
and yet I'm told to modern up and forget "the good ol' days".

ATNotts
12th May 2014, 08:39
Just how Turkey and Israel qualify is a political query

Eurovision probably took pity on Israel - after all they wouldn't be welcome in the "Arabvision Song Contest"!!! (if you think the ESC is rubbish, just imagine what an Arab one would sound / look like)

SpringHeeledJack
12th May 2014, 12:52
At least in an 'Arabvision Song Contest' they would sing in their own languages/dialect and have cultural dress/dance/melodies. Wouldn't they ? :hmm:

SHJ

ATNotts
12th May 2014, 13:30
Did Poland do well out of the UK last night?

I posed this question a few posting ago.

Well, according to the BBC News website, in UK the public vote gave Poland 12 points - but the UK Jury voted it the worst song - so Poland got "Nul Points" from the UK.

Exactly the same happened with Ireland.

You're not telling me that the British and Irish public seriously thought that Poland had the best song (they might have attracted the voyeuristic votes from the dirty raincoat brigade!!) - the phone lines would almost undoubtedly been packed by ex-pat poles in both countries.

Makes you realise just how many Poles we have in the British Isles. At least they're usually working, not claiming benefits!

surely not
12th May 2014, 19:21
The Dutch and the Poles had the best two songs, never mind the tit tat on the side of the stage.

The beard won because people want to be super PC and oh so cool and permissive. It isn't a bad song and his voice is quite good when you listen and don't watch, but I would never have voted it as the winner.

Capetonian
12th May 2014, 19:49
Makes you realise just how many Poles we have in the British Isles. At least they're usually working, not claiming benefits! Whilst the locals sit in their council flats on their lardy arses eating MuckDonalds and watching Urinevision and similar trash on 58" TV sets.

500N
12th May 2014, 19:51
"Urinevision"

I like that :ok:

4mastacker
12th May 2014, 20:35
If the Dutch had entered the girly group "Adam", they would have won by a country mile. I'm not going to post their video cos I'll end up doing a Slasher, a simple googoo will reveal all. warning..nsfw.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th May 2014, 22:39
brings a whole new meaning to "rabbiting on".........;)

Mad Monk
12th May 2014, 22:49
A good point GobonaStick, which I am happy to accept.
I had misunderstood and forgotten about the structure of Eurovision.