PDA

View Full Version : Too old to rock and roll...

Cacophonix
10th May 2014, 13:22
Nobody wants to be accused of being past it and being put out to pasture!

Still it seems that some folks are are able to go on and on doing the stuff they are good at... from rock and roll to running big businesses... etc.

I proffer this musical example of an older dude done good... (although he has 'recently 'retired').

Dan McCafferty (NAZARETH) " This Flight Tonight " 2010 - YouTube

What other good examples of older folk are there who are still clearly rocking despite their age?

Caco

Fox3WheresMyBanana
10th May 2014, 13:28
I have tickets for BB King in July - he's 88 and still does 100 concerts a year!

The Thrill is Gone - B.B. King (Live 2013) - YouTube

Saw Gordon Lightfoot (75) last week. How many guys kicking around now had Elvis do covers of their songs?

surely not
10th May 2014, 13:40
I saw the Rolling Stones at Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, earlier this year and I was amazed at the energy they all had, and Jaggers voice is still strong and can carry the lyrics without straining.

They played for around 2 hours which puts many of the new bands, and the odious little cretin Beiber, to shame. I am told they struggle to complete a 1 hour set. The guitar playing is just as good as ever as well.

Guns n Roses a couple of years ago were also excellent at the same venue, though I seem to remember they did get booed off the stage somewhere in Europe on the same tour.

Metro man
10th May 2014, 13:45
If you think you're too old for Rock and Roll you probably are.

cattletruck
10th May 2014, 13:48
Good God, I saw BB King in concert when I was 19 y/o.

His act was very good then and I imagine it still is now. Well done that man.

Capetonian
10th May 2014, 13:49
You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

onetrack
10th May 2014, 13:50
Vera Lynn is still kicking along just fine at 97 and has just released a new album to celebrate her 90 years in show business!

Dame Vera Lynn, 97, to release new album - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/10708970/Dame-Vera-Lynn-97-to-release-new-album.html)

Here's the list of the 100 oldest living rock stars. Although many are still living, not many are still performing.

The 100 Oldest Living Rock Stars - I Hope I Die Before I Get Old (http://www.ihopeidiebeforeigetold.com/oldest-living-rock-stars.php)

Saw Leonard Cohen year before last and he was skipping around the stage at age 73.
Petula Clark is doing an Australian tour this year - she's 82.

500N
10th May 2014, 14:00
"and Jaggers voice is still strong and can carry the lyrics without straining."

And that is what is amazing.

Out here in Aus, we had Meat loaf do a couple of songs for our football grand final entertainment.

Let's just say it was embarassing to say the least.

He had hardly any voice and certainly couldn't get to the top where he used to.

If you want to see it, it's on Youtube under AFL Grand Final Meat loaf.

Nigel

ZOOKER
10th May 2014, 20:04
Just ordered the latest John Mayall CD, due later this month. John is 80. James Last is still leading his band, I think he is 85?.
The combined ages of Emerson, Lake and Palmer now exceeds 185 years.

rans6andrew
10th May 2014, 20:34
last Monday I got dragged along to a Wildlife do (Wildlife Rocks) at Guildford 'cause Er Indoors heard that Brian May was going to be speaking about the badger cull etc. Not sure how old he is but the big mop of white hair makes him look a bit old.

Highlights for me, though, whats left of the Troggs and Hawkwind both played live sets, they've still "got it". It was a good day out in the end.

Rans6.....

Krystal n chips
11th May 2014, 04:43
it would be sacrilege not to include.....

The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again - The O2 Arena - Live in London - June 15 2013 - YouTube

SpringHeeledJack
11th May 2014, 07:04
Highlights for me, though, whats left of the Troggs and Hawkwind both played live sets, they've still "got it". It was a good day out in the end.

I wonder if Stacia was dancing around the stage with Hawkwind ? Hawkwind with Stacia, photos by Jorgen Angel (http://www.angel.dk/hawkwind/HAWKovers2.html) :eek:

Most of the old rockers, most notably the 'strolling bones' have lived VERY healthy lives for many years and look after themselves better than their audiences. The legend of their wild days is way in the past. Any of the rockers who carried on with fast living, died young.

SHJ

mikedreamer787
12th May 2014, 06:36
I'm told at my age I should be appreciating the
classical and enjoying Wagner, Strauss et al as
well as the odd opera, and theatre productions
of Porgy and Bess.

That's bullsh!t. I can't stand any bloody classical
music and to hell with boring opera and Porgy and
Bess. Give me a good Dire Straits or Black Sab CD
(or concert) anyday! :ok:

The only thing I outgrew was disco - at the age of
21. After that age it was simply to pick up chicks
and immediately leave. :hmm:

Tankertrashnav
12th May 2014, 08:22
I'm told at my age I should be appreciating the
classical and enjoying Wagner, Strauss et al as
well as the odd opera, and theatre productions
of Porgy and Bess.

A pity you take that attitude. Ive been appreciating all of them since I was around 16 (Porgy and Bess apart!) and I also like rock, jazz and many other forms.

I like hamburgers but I wouldnt want to have to eat them every day of my life. Shame you've written off all forms of classical music Mike, but I guess it will struggle along without you and will still be around in hundreds of years time. Try this - boring it isn't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeXR5blDTIk

(Why do you sometimes just get the You Tube thing as a link?)

mikedreamer787
12th May 2014, 08:56
Shame you've written off all forms of classical music Mike

You're implying I'm against classical music per se
Mr Nav - and no I'm not. If classical is your thing
that's fine. Its not my cup of tea that's all, just
as Rap isn't either. I just object to people telling
me I should appreciate classical at my vintage
and..."shame" if I don't.

The actor Stan Tucci delivered this line in the film
Conspiracy "I have never understood the passion
for Schubert's sentimental Viennese shit."

Same with me. What's so heart-tearing about it? :confused:

Your link is visually impressive, and the talent of both
the conductor and orchestra is to the highest degree
as expected of a world class standard, but the music
itself? Sorry but it does nothing at all. http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/indifferent/indifferent0022.gif

But that's me.

Being impressed by the ability of a group of musicians
is one thing but enjoying the actual product is another
and entirely subjective.

Cacophonix
12th May 2014, 09:13
In the pantheon of older rockers you have to salute Phil Mogg, he of UFO fame. UF who you say?

One of the best vocalists out there and still going (much to the surprise of many, him having definitely lived the rock and roll lifestyle and all)...

Mogg and Way - Death In The Family. - YouTube

Caco

onetrack
12th May 2014, 09:31
rans6andrew - The slight problem with regard to the Troggs long-life performance - is that 3 of the original 4 band members are now dead!
Only the 4th founding member, Chris Britton is still alive, and still with the "new" Troggs.

Original members of the Troggs:

Reg Presley - died 2012
Dave Wright - died 2008
Ronnie Bond - died 1992
Chris Britton - alive and leading the band today

sagan
12th May 2014, 09:58
MEAT LOAF AFL Grand Final 2011 Hilarious - YouTube

From 5 mins in ... golly

Tankertrashnav
13th May 2014, 17:12
Its not my cup of tea that's all, just
as Rap isn't either.

Well, we can agree on that, at least ;)

Saintsman
13th May 2014, 18:55
I believe that one of the original rock and rollers, Chuck Berry, is still touring.

I saw BB King a few years ago and he apologised that he had to sit down because his 'knees had gone'. An absolute master.

If you ever hear a name / band from the 'past' who are on tour, then they are nearly always worth seeing. They wouldn't survive in the music business if they weren't any good.

I took my wife to see George Thorogood (only 64) a couple of years ago. "Who?" she said. It was one of the best concerts she had been to.

TURIN
13th May 2014, 20:09
Have to agree.

CSN a couple of years ago at Manchester. It was the first time Graham Nash had played his home town for years. One of the best gigs I've ever been to.
Stephen Stills had to have a wee rest part way through but the harmonies were spot on.

Of course, The MIGHTY Jethro Tull are still touring. The gig I took Mrs T to a few years ago converted her.

Not the best from them but it makes the point..

Too Old to Rock n Roll

11Fan
13th May 2014, 22:16
http://i1.wp.com/www.funnywallphotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/keith-richards.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=500%2C530 (http://www.funnywallphotos.com/?attachment_id=33072)

k3k3
13th May 2014, 22:27
Blondie are on BBC2 red button at the moment.

Debbie Harry is 68 (Catching up with Drapes!):eek:

reynoldsno1
13th May 2014, 23:51
I took my wife to see George Thorogood (only 64) a couple of years ago. "Who?" she said. It was one of the best concerts she had been to.

Had a similar experience, except it was Charlie Musselwhite ...

Capetonian
15th Nov 2014, 12:15
To paraphrase another 'singer' (Dolly Parton I think), it must cost a lot of money to look this dishevelled and dirty.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/11/15/1416046322579_Image_galleryImage_Band_Aid_30_Recording_in_.J PG

onetrack
15th Nov 2014, 12:47
Talking to a doc the other day, and he brought up a good point.

"You can only perform on stage like a 20 yr old, when you're in your 70's and 80's, when you've dosed yourself up with a heap of drugs.
They have some amazing drugs today, that can make you feel and perform like a 20 yr old for a while!
It's the comedown the next day, is when everything starts to hurt and ache and stiffen up again!!" :)

TBirdFrank
15th Nov 2014, 12:50
Grow old disgracefully!

Tickets behind the clock for the Who in Manchester next month

Tickets bought for Fleetwood Mac in Manchester next June - all of them!

Hobo
15th Nov 2014, 12:53
I'll admit to seeing Status Quo whenever I can...always a good show... Jeff Lynne at Hyde Park in September this year was fantastic....and there's always Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler at the Albert Hall.

cattletruck
15th Nov 2014, 13:59
Tangerine Dream is playing in my city this week at the Melbourne Town Hall using their 85 year old organ.

Only concerns are I may bump into the crowd scene of my old band, and the sound of that organ will just never be the same after the person who upgraded its air mechanism turned out to be a kiddy fiddler.

Oh the perils of getting "too old".

Capetonian
15th Nov 2014, 16:05
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/11/15/1416041764553_Image_galleryImage_Keith_Richards_and_Ronnie.J PG

and another ...........

G-CPTN
15th Nov 2014, 17:10
Rolling Stones' Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood spend the day with family | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2834310/Cruising-Rolling-Stones-members-Keith-Richards-Ronnie-Wood-look-relaxed-spend-day-family-HUGE-luxury-yacht-Sydney-Harbour.html)

Groundgripper
15th Nov 2014, 17:55
"which featured a red flag on the back of the boat"

that's the red ensign you journalistic feckwit:ugh:

GG

Uncle Fred
15th Nov 2014, 18:45
...but why won't Plant agree to do another concert or two with Jones, Page, and Jason Bonham? Plant sounded good at Glastonbury this year. I understand he just released a new album but Page and Jones have been keen for some time on the idea.

Indeed something like The Immigrant Song would not be on the card, but why not?

SpringHeeledJack
15th Nov 2014, 19:16
It's always a bit cruel to take photos of people, especially famous people in moments of disarray and then to make an article about them. How many of us look pristine most of the time, that is to others ? :eek: People get old at different rates and if you've led a 'colourful' life it will have left it's marks literally and metaphorically. Just yesterday I was looking at a 'then and now' of the musicians and singers who did the Feed the World Xmas song back when and some of them are now updating it for an Ebola Xmas release. Most of them don't quite look as good as they once did…. :rolleyes: One or two look much better though, almost as they've grown into themselves.

SHJ

Uncle Fred
15th Nov 2014, 19:22
Indeed SHJ. As my wife reminds me Lulu actually looked better at she approached 60 than she did when she was young.

cockney steve
15th Nov 2014, 21:48
Tickets bought for Fleetwood Mac

Whenever that name comes up, i visualise a flasher in a dirty brown raincoat, walking along the tramlines :}
Am i abnormal?

P6 Driver
15th Nov 2014, 22:42
Just seen UB40 tonight - juniors compared to other acts mentioned on the thread, and not necessarily in their leagues, but still going (sort of) strong since 1978. Looking around the audience, I half expected to see some mobility scooters parked nearby.

Tankertrashnav
16th Nov 2014, 10:53
Went to a trad jazz concert a few years back where Kenny Ball, George Melly and Humphrey were playing, all OAPs, with the last into his 80s.

From the back of the theatre the audience presented a sea of shimmering blue rinse broken by the gleam of bald pates.

I remarked to my neighbour that if an Exocet hit the hall at that moment the government would save a fortune in pensions.

probes
16th Nov 2014, 11:16
Tanker, you just remove the 's' from the https and then it's not a link. Like this:
ZZ Top Live - La Grange ; Tush (Crossroads Guitar Festival) - YouTube

my preference for good rhythm. Same as a good symphony orchestra :cool:.

Phalconphixer
16th Nov 2014, 11:44
AC /DC
Still relative newcomers but 41 years in the R&R business... and still knocking their fans for six with their worldwide stage performances... Sad news about founder member Malcolm Young who has been forced into early retirement due to ill health...
So here in true 'Slasher' tradition.. bring on the dancing girls!

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long - YouTube

RJM
16th Nov 2014, 15:22
I've heard that free downloading has gravely affected the incomes of musicians who previously enjoyed a steady stream of royalties, and performing live is now the only way to make money. Perhaps these old geezers need it.

Nopax,thanx
16th Nov 2014, 15:29
Well, very refreshing to learn today that after last weekend's Sunday Mirror inaccurately reported that Robert Plant turned down a 500million offer from Richard Branson to reform Zeppelin, they printed a retraction and also revealed that they had made a donation to the Teenage Cancer Trust at Planty's request by way of compensation.

Well done sir! :D

RJM
16th Nov 2014, 15:39
On the other hand, Sir Mick and his rhythm and blues combo...

vulcanised
16th Nov 2014, 16:40
It's been said that Noddy Holder has been and is pocketing 500,000 every year for his little Christmas ditty..

Seems excessive to me.