PDA

View Full Version : How does holiday work in your company? (UK only)

WX Man
10th May 2014, 12:01
My company will give you x number of days off, costing you y days holiday. This is meant to reflect the "shoulder days" that office staff would have, i.e. the office staff put in for 5 days holiday and actually have 9 days where they don't have to come into work. Likewise, to get 16 days off work, they only need to take 10 days holiday.

This is in start contrast to the pilots, whose shift pattern means that to take 12 days off, it should "cost" 6 days of holiday- but needless to say, it doesn't.

Just interested to know how everyone else's company works in the 28 days statutory holiday every year?

Mr Angry from Purley
10th May 2014, 18:37
WX Man
What is your "shift" pattern
How much leave do you get i.e. Office bods get 20 days etc :\

FlybyDayandNight
11th May 2014, 14:45
Good question and point made WX Man, although I do not think we should limit ourselves to just the UK.

We all, by and large, do the same job and should thereby welcome international contributions with the hope of an industry-wide standardisation in comparison to office based staff, who are not ordinarily subjected to such unsociable roster patterns.

(Office 'bods' usually get Bank Holidays too)

silverhawk
11th May 2014, 20:15
I imagine it complies with the contract you happily signed. No more nor no less.

Aluminium shuffler
12th May 2014, 14:32
How...does...holiday...work? No, you lost me.:confused: Isn't it always a case of apply for what you want and we'll allocate it to someone else while we give you what they wanted instead? Take what you're given and be grateful? Wait, you mean some companies will actually read your requests and take them seriously? No way!

Mr Angry from Purley
12th May 2014, 18:03
Fly by Day and Night

In general Aircrew get more leave to compensate for bank hols etc and in general terms do better than Office Staff but not better than shift workers.
As my boss said if you want Office hours and time off go and be an Office worker, with the salary that goes with it.
In my own experience aircrew have always had more leave than I have (middle manager) :\

WX Man
12th May 2014, 21:17
The contact I signed complies with UK law, which entitles me to 5.6 weeks (=28 days) per year.

If I worked in the office, on a "5/2" shift pattern, I would be able to take 10 days holiday and achieve 16 days free of work. However, no shift pattern was stipulated in my contract- instead there is a loosely worded job description which advocates a 6/4 shift pattern. So I should be able to take 6 days holiday and achieve 4+6+4 = 14 days off.

Can I do this? Can I :mad:. The company recently published a matrix of holiday allowances for aircrew staff. This says that 14 days off will "cost" me 9 days from my annual allowance.