PDA

View Full Version : Those RAF Regiment pics

Effluent Man
10th May 2014, 08:42
On balance probably better not to get caught doing it.But did others share my relatively low level of concern over this story? For me it was about equal to who was the next Come Dancing presenter.

tony draper
10th May 2014, 09:07
Just the vermin in our news media they need fillers or they might have to talk about what's actually going on in the world.:)

SpringHeeledJack
10th May 2014, 09:32
There have always been rituals of battle, some much more prejudicial than a few photos for personal use that seem to have been leaked here. There is an argument that could be made for dignified conduct when dealing with dead soldiers of both sides, yet it cannot be simple to switch off the red mist and perhaps hatred for one's enemy when their demise is confirmed. To make this a headline issue is simply a case of diversionary tactics to keep the really important issues off to the side of the news feed.

SHJ

Loki
10th May 2014, 10:28
Well, exactly. I hope these blokes get a fairly stern bollocking. However, if we teach young men to kill, and then tell them to, we shouldn't be either surprised or too censorious when their behaviour is a bit wayward. They were not offering any indignity or much lack of respect posing for these images, it could have been a lot worse.

Super VC-10
10th May 2014, 18:35
What's the problem? Are the Taliban signatories to the Geneva Convention? :confused:

If you are fighting those who are signatories, then the convention applies. :ok:
If you are fighting those who aren't, then why handicap yourself by applying it to you own side? :ugh:

Lon More
10th May 2014, 19:06
The RAF, including the Regiment, marched through St. Andrews for the last time today. Nobody seemed worried about this story

Seldomfitforpurpose
10th May 2014, 20:32
38 years proudly wearing the same uniform and whilst I would happily buy these guys several beers as an ex MALM I would also be advising about the errors of 'public stupidity' :ok:

Tankertrashnav
10th May 2014, 23:03
What's the problem? Are the Taliban signatories to the Geneva Convention? :confused:

No, but we are, and we are better than them.

This has been discussed widely on the Military Aircrew thread, where many posts characterise those who see a problem with this sort of behaviour as hand-wringing liberals who have never put themselves in the line of fire - in one case "Islington latte drinkers"! I take great exception to this. I served in the RAF Regiment myself and saw active service. Whilst I was never involved in the sort of action such as the attack on Bastion, nevertheless we were the subject of armed attack. On one occasion three FLOSY dissidents were foolish enough to open fire on a Land Rover armed with a GPMG! Had their bodies been subject to this sort of thing by any of my men they would have found themselves in trouble very rapidly.

Too many fire-eating armchair warriors on here trying to excuse the inexcusable. In the overall scale of things it wasnt very serious, certainly not a war-crime, but it was nevertheless wrong, and the guys most certainly need to be held to account.

Effluent Man
11th May 2014, 08:58
To make the OP clear,I wasn't actually supporting what they did just observing that it wasn't a huge deal that some of the media were trying to make of it.

fitliker
11th May 2014, 13:26
In war they are winners and losers.

After twelve years of Nato in Afghanistan and billions wasted, the Taliban will have bettered another better army. Being better is how losers justify getting defeated.
The strategic mistakes made by NATO in Afghanistan were IDENTICAL to the Soviet mistakes. Great professional armies that could destroy cities in a flash could not win a street fight against a simple enemy.
Hearts and minds ,psychobabble hippy poop masquerading as strategy.

The next time I get kicked in the nuts I will remind myself ,how much better I am than the kickor and as a kickee I should be grateful for the opportunity to show how much better I am as I roll on the ground in pain to celebrate my betterness :)

AtomKraft
11th May 2014, 13:42
Fitliker.

So true.

One side has had it's arse kicked in Afghanistan.

Terry's, it was not.

Victor Inox
11th May 2014, 18:32
Aren't these boys sent to Afghanistan to fight the enemy? So, what's wrong with the team celebrating a job well done in the line of duty?

Tankertrashnav
11th May 2014, 22:09
fitliker and Atomkraft - I thought it was completely evident when I said we were better than them I was talking about our morals, which is why we are signatories to the Geneva convention. We dont plant IEDs beside roads regardless of the innocent lives we will take. We dont send children into crowded market places with explosives strapped to them.

That's what I meant by better.

I certainly dont deny that 12 years of a useless war has failed to win us any sort of meaningful victory. If you think that means the Taliban are better than us, then we are living on different planets.

John Hill
11th May 2014, 23:51
Any way you cut it NATO in Afghanistan has not been a great military victory.

fitliker
12th May 2014, 01:14
I do not think that the Taliban are better than us and I agree with your sentiment that we think we have better morals. Although the reality of any nuclear nation with NCB weapons claiming moral superiority is almost comical.

What does the Geneva Convention say about a world with enough Nuclear Chemical and biological weapons to kill every human four thousand times over ? a bit of overkill ?
The Geneva convention on weather modification weapons got my attention when it was signed in 1974 as it was almost one hundred years after the signing of the first chemical weapons treaty in 1874. The first large scale use of those chemical weapons was in April 1915 as an organized murder of men in WW1.
Who knows maybe by April 2015 the weather weapons will be deployed and our enemies will be killed by global warming or climate change as it is now called . Might be a good time to hoard as much opium as you can as the price will go up if the weather weapons are deployed and nobody can grow the poppies in Afghanistan next year . Although, Peru might be a good place to have a poppy farm.

Now, where did I put my beer :)

Blacksheep
12th May 2014, 07:20
In the overall scale of things it wasnt very serious, certainly not a war-crime, but it was nevertheless wrong, and the guys most certainly need to be held to account. To be held to account within the Royal Air Force. How and why did this relatively minor military misdemeanour become a matter for the national media to splash around as headline news?

AtomKraft
12th May 2014, 08:07
Tankertrash

Better?

1. Better at fighting? Well, we're off home. We haven't won.
To be fair, terry had some advantages, but we knew that when we started.
Better at fighting? Is a clear win for....Terry Taliban.

2. Our morals are better? Well, only a loony would back the Taliban on moral grounds. But our are highly suspect too. I mean, without us starting on them, a helluva lot of folk would still be alive. Sure, we thought it a great idea at the time- and that the end would justify the means. WRONG!

Let's face it, the whole Afghanistan campaign, as I'm sure you'd agree, has been a colossal waste of time, blood and treasure- and who could have predicted that? Just about anyone really.:ugh:

Better?

We should hang our bloody heads in shame.

Tankertrashnav
12th May 2014, 08:29
Let's face it, the whole Afghanistan campaign, as I'm sure you'd agree, has been a colossal waste of time, blood and treasure- and who could have predicted that? Just about anyone really.:ugh:

Agreed. Just so happy my own son came back unscathed, just so sorry for the many who came back mutilated in body and mind, and to the loved ones of the 400+ who only came back in a coffin.

AtomKraft
12th May 2014, 08:33
Tankertrash.

Well, quite apart from anything, I share your profound relief that your son is safe.
That must be quite a feeling.